I am torn now

Bobbi

Cathlete
Tomorrow is the big day that I re-embrace my inner workout goddess. I thought to begin with Cross Train Express, an old, familiar favorite. Today I digitally downloaded Low Impact Cardio Super Sets. Is that the workout to fire me up to workout again? I know it's brutal but I can modify and will. Help me make up my mind!

I vote for the old, familiar favorite. When you feel your body remembering the moves I think you will get that sense of joy returning. It just feels so good to work out and ignite those pathways between brain and body again.

I hope it's a great work out!

I did it.

I nearly died. My left knee can't take high impact and I struggled to keep up.I have no remnants of a formerly advanced hi/lo and step queen left in my bod. Tomorrow I go low impact. I digitally downloaded two workouts to try. I am going to cry but I am going to work out too. CardioSuperSets and Low Impact Challenge to use to get a few more days of my 21 days to fitness since my daughter informed me that it takes 21 days to make a new habit last night. I haven't planned out my new strength training regimen yet. Did barbells and back and hand weights and back, planks, abs today. One or two parts a day will do, I think. I cannot wait until I love it again!

Bobbi:

can you powerwalk as a sub for running and high impact cardio?

I promise you it is totally low/non-impact and gives you so much of what running offers: being outside, covering miles, listening to great music to encourage you and pump you up, endorphins from watching those miles slip away under your feet and from getting faster or conquering hill repeats.

I powerwalk as part of my regular routine and I would not be without it. It delivers. Fitness (I can run 5 or 6 miles ay time on the strength of my powerwalking routines). Peace of mind. Being outdoors in nature. What's not to like?

I also think it's just nicer and classier than jumping up and down at this age in your living room to hi/lo. That just makes me feel like my brains are getting all shook up. I no longer like the feeling

Starting back out is tough. God knows I've been there enough times. But, seriously, celebrate each workout that you do because it is movement, it all adds up and it makes you feel good. Congrats on starting back!
Clare

I can power walk

I started walking my dog again and he is all energy at the start. I can power walk and get those benefits. I just need 4 to 6 weeks of these activities and the coming results that I know well. My left arch is collapsed but my right knee noisily protests any impact. I just want the intensity. I loved impact but it didn't love me.

Sounds like you are making the adjustments we are all making around here as we get older, We do what we can to keep moving, keep working as intensely as possible, but without breaking down the body because we need to stay strong and mobile with reserves in the tank. We are facing demands upon us from all directions: teenage children, work, relationship problems, aging parents, losing friends and loved ones, and dealing with accepting aging in ourselves.

This last one is causing me much distress this year. I'm making my own adjustments.

Clare

Bobbi,

If your knee is really bothering you, you might want to get one of those stretchy knee braces. It has really helped me be able to do high impact. I also wanted to warn you that LISLIC might not be the best step workout to get started with again because the choreography borderlines frustrating. It is one of the only step workouts from Cathe that I really struggle with. I just didn't want you to feel frustrated and then give up on step aerobics all together again. Some good ones are lower intensity step from 4DS, Low Impact Circuit, and LowMax if you find that are struggling with LISLIC.

HTH,
Stacie

Bobbi:

Do you own Step Blast? You might find this one very do-able right now. Most of it is low impact (especially if you take out the power 15s from the second step segment) and the real impact only comes in at the end when Cathe inserts blasts into the challenge. Quite honestly, when you are starting back out, the three step segments and then putting them all together in the challenge and running through it 3 times is enough! Save the blasts for later or never, whichever is the later!

I did it last night and was impressed with how do-able it is when you are not feeling on top form fitness-wise.

Clare

Bobbi:

can you powerwalk as a sub for running and high impact cardio?

I promise you it is totally low/non-impact and gives you so much of what running offers: being outside, covering miles, listening to great music to encourage you and pump you up, endorphins from watching those miles slip away under your feet and from getting faster or conquering hill repeats.

I powerwalk as part of my regular routine and I would not be without it. It delivers. Fitness (I can run 5 or 6 miles ay time on the strength of my powerwalking routines). Peace of mind. Being outdoors in nature. What's not to like?

I also think it's just nicer and classier than jumping up and down at this age in your living room to hi/lo. That just makes me feel like my brains are getting all shook up. I no longer like the feeling

Starting back out is tough. God knows I've been there enough times. But, seriously, celebrate each workout that you do because it is movement, it all adds up and it makes you feel good. Congrats on starting back!
Clare

I'm a walker myself and it was the best choice I've made with my fitness... ever! I don't do hi-lo anymore and I'm not one for traditional aerobics either. Walking and walking dvds are my mainstay for aerobics. While I enjoyed Cathe's cardio, it was too much for me and my body. At one time I could, but that type of fitness in general, not just Cathe's cardio, isn't something my body responds well too these days. Walking, power walking, both indoors on a treadmill or my favorite, outside is amazing! Fitness doesn't have to hurt, drain, depress, make you cry in order for it to be effective and beneficial. Not everyone can, should, or wants to be an impact junkie. And you know what, that's ok!

I started walking my dog again and he is all energy at the start. I can power walk and get those benefits. I just need 4 to 6 weeks of these activities and the coming results that I know well. My left arch is collapsed but my right knee noisily protests any impact. I just want the intensity. I loved impact but it didn't love me.

Hi Bobbi,

I'm a high impact junkie (until my body stages a revolt ;)), but I also embrace walking. All those miles and steps does wonders for the body and the mind. A very underestimated form of exercise. If I could chose only one exercise to keep me fit (and sane!) for the rest of my life, it would be walking.

If you want to really start up with Cathe again, why not try some of her beginner ones? Basic Step/Body Fusion is great, and fairly low impact (no air jacks or tuck jumps :D). Cardio Super Sets and Turbo Barre from the Low Impact Series are both excellent. Travel Fit gets two very big thumbs-ups from me; low impact and extremely effective band work.

Good luck and take care,

Natasha

You are absolutely right.

I have had a desire to run just a little. That's so unlike the days of anything under 7 miles is a waste of time. I know that it's not an option without knee and possible hip surgery. I did indeed Cathe's Basic Step workout yesterday on a 6 inch step, followed by Muscle Endurance with lower weights. Basic Step was too easy but I used a 6 inch step. Sweaty but no really difficulty. Love the simple footwork. At 8 inches, my knees may revolt but that's where I go with that one and there's in intermediate workout also. I want to try it as well. Stepping u to 8 inches, my left knee gets cranky so here's hoping I can pull it off. I need the height for the intensity I desire. I must get over having been advanced. Past tense I AM a beginner again but it's a matter of time, isn't it. I should be able to get up to speed more quickly because I have experience and "muscle memory" if I can convince my muscles of that. But, talk about high impact, high intensity junkie and that was me. I loved it. Still, this is okay. I am almost 50 and things have changed, especially the knees due to foot problems. My bio mechanics are very unstable for what I love and I must deal with it and compensate. I am willing to do so. I also love yoga, got advanced there too and there's no impact issues at all. Now, I just have to make this a habit and I slipped because I have been insomniac which ruins my life until I sleep. Thanks for the wise suggestion.

Bobbi -

As you return to you former cardio capacity, you might want to consider spin (sorry if this is a duplicate and somebody already suggested that). It's a fantastic, completely joint friendly cardio workout and, if you find a good instructor, it will be one of the most challenging workouts you can imagine. You might have to try a few instructors before you find "the one" who kicks your butt (or doesn't kick your butt, as you prefer). Oh, and although it's cardio, it really tones the lower body.

Not everybody loves spin (I adore it), but it might fit the bill for you. One other great thing about spin is that it's truly your workout in that you control the tension and your rpms, so it's as easy or as hard as you make it. Beware, though, that unless you've been riding a bike recently, your butt and, uh, nearby regions, will be uncomfortable after the first 2-3 times, but then you'll acclimate and never feel that again.

Cathe has a spin DVD called CycleMax that other Cathletes say is great, although I haven't done it because I don't have a spin bike at home (yet!).

Best of luck as you move forward...you can't have a better companion in your fitness journey than Cathe, so I know you'll do well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.