HRM Calories burned vs Machine

NinjaMom

Cathlete
I'm trying to drop a few pounds so I've been tracking my calorie intake and calories burned at sparkpeople. I was using the calories burned count that my elliptical or treadmill would display even though I knew they over exaggerate...but I didn't realize how much. So I decided to wear my HRM to compare the calories burned. I did 70 minutes (@80-85% of max HR) on the elliptical and burned 1026 calories. Great right?! Well, my HRM said I burned only 424!! WTH!! I knew the machine counts would be higher but this is not even in the ballpark. I entered my age & weight on the elliptical & age, weight & sex on my HRM. I would assume the HRM is more accurate but this really sucks x(

Sorry about the rant but this really bummed me out.

JJ

It is a big eye opener isn't it. My burn acoording to my HRM is approx. 1/2 of what the read out on the machines say too.

I never go by the machines. I have yet to find one that is accurate. I think the closest one is the stair stepper at my gym. Only off by about 20 calories.

Lisa

Your HRM (assuming you wear a chest strap) will be the most accurate. It is counting every heart beat so it knows how much effort you are excerting.

Hopefully, your HRmonitor asks for height, weight, age and gender.

As for machine versus HRmonitor, my machines are usually 3x higher than the actual.

Thanks all!

I knew the machines over estimated but I was shocked by how much. I'll just use my HRM from now on. Darn! I just wanted to have one of those homemade chocolate chip cookies DD just made :9

JJ

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.