How to use Xtrain's Legs if you're not advanced?

Sandi S

Cathlete
I just finished Xtrain's Legs (the 80 minute workout) and I watched a lot of the time because my muscles were fatigued. All the sections look great but which should I use first? Do the standing, barre, ball and floorwork work the legs evenly or do some work different muscles more?

Thanks for your suggestion

I'll start with the standing leg work next time but then what? Do they all work the same muscles evenly or do they concentrate on different parts more or less? Just curious.

I have been working out my neighbor and she is at beginner status. When we did XT legs, we did the premix with the Standing work only. Then we added on the bonus barre work. She did great with those two sections and honestly I don't know if she could have done more. Maybe it would work well for you too! I think the total workout winds up being about 45 minutes.

I usually do a shorter premix then do an upper body weight workout and then core. That gives you even work all over your body.

Keep ' em coming!

I appreciate your ideas. I'm restarting my exercise program so I'm not a beginner but I'm out of shape. The complete Legs workout was over-my-head in length. I felt the burn though. I felt it over and over - lol! I wanted to try alll of the workout the first time but that didn't happen because I was watching a lot of it. Muscle fatigue is an interesting beast - I thought it looked easy (yes even doable) until I gave it a try. I was humbled quickly. The strangest thing is I want to try again. ;-)

I am in a similar situation myself.

What I've been doing is starting with premixes and/or skipping chapters. I haven't started XTrain yet but with workouts like Trisets or Lower Body Blast, I pick a shorter premix and skip through certain exercises that I know are going to be too much on my body at this point (walking lunges come to mind).

Another thing to consider that I've found quite beneficial is doing the lower body work without weights. The only exercises in Trisets that I do with weights are the various squats and the deadlifts. Otherwise, body weight is plenty. I still feel the burn but I don't exhaust myself aerobically/anaerobically so I can continue with the workout. It's allowed me to modify the pace without changing the pace if that makes sense. I'm also using lighter weights for all muscle groups and SLOWLY increasing them. I was never one to pace myself with increasing weights as I could always do it. Right now however I'm perfectly fine taking things slow and my body is still getting a great workout. I don't think the premix matters so much as does the time and how intense you make it (or don't make it). Changing up the premixes whether it be a different one each workout or sticking to a certain one for a period of time will only benefit you regardless of how you use them. By changing them up, you add variety which helps you physically and mentally by keeping things different.

Another modification is not to do Cathe's cardio and focus on the strength workouts until you build up the proper endurance. I don't use her cardio workouts anymore bc they flare my FMS but I do know that back in the day when I did Cathe's worouts for cardio and strength, I cut the cardio out and opted for more moderate forms until my body became adjusted. Whether it was injury or illness, there were times when I needed to dial back the intensity and pace. In doing so, I was always a few beats behind Cathe and crew so I instead used other instructors DVDs or walked. That's what I'm doing now for cardio- Leslie Sansone and when the weather improves, outdoor walking only. Cathe's Strength and Walking are my two loves so I combined them and I'm loving every minute of it!!! But that might help you too, saving the energy and stamina for the strength workouts which over time will make you stronger and help improve your endurance to do the advanced cardio that Cathe is known for.

I plan on sticking to the total body workouts as that's where my interest lies at this point, however when I do get into XTrain, I'll do the same thing: premixes with lighter weights and slowly build up the time and weight as I go.

Last edited:
I just finished Xtrain's Legs (the 80 minute workout) and I watched a lot of the time because my muscles were fatigued. All the sections look great but which should I use first? Do the standing, barre, ball and floorwork work the legs evenly or do some work different muscles more?

I have had lower back issues around my sacrum for a while now so I cut the workout into sections and proceeded on to other sections if I was feeling ok. I first did the standing only premix. That seemed to have everything but my calves crying uncle and I felt tension in my lower back so I called it a day. The following week I started the barre, chair & ball, floor work and rear delts premix. I told myself I could stop at anytime if I felt too much tension in my lower back. The barre section really fried my quads and outer part of my booty and hips. I missed the last few reps here and there buy went to the next section. The ball and chair work had some killer hamstring work in it. It worked inner thigh too. The floor section was classic leg lifts and more outer thigh and lower butt work. Splitting the workout this way was more doable for me due to time constraints and lower back issues.
Cathe designs these workouts to be versatile for a reason. No expects you to do it all if your circumstances don't allow it. No one will judge you and you certainly won't be missing out if you even only did one section at a time and tried more on a different day.
HTH

I'm in the same place, starting back after a couple of years of not much. I used to love the leg work outs but right now they scare me. I only used weights with XTrain Legs for the deadlifts and squats, as another poster did, and body weight for the rest is quite enough, right now.

I made it through the floorwork and chair, not every rep in every set, and by the end of that I knew I needed to stop or I'd not be able to walk the next day.

I'm following the 90 day undulating rotation and I missed Hard Strikes and the HiiT day because my knees were sore from 1/2 of XTrain Cardio Legs! Feels good to be back but I need to be patient and not so frustrated.

Here's to feeling good about doing what we can. I try to remind myself that when I get more fit I'll want these workouts to be as long and as a hard as they are but for now I need to be patient with a slow start.

Thankfully I can get through the upper body workouts with good size weights.

Jane

Feels good to be back but I need to be patient and not so frustrated.

Here's to feeling good about doing what we can. I try to remind myself that when I get more fit I'll want these workouts to be as long and as a hard as they are but for now I need to be patient with a slow start.

Thankfully I can get through the upper body workouts with good size weights.

Jane

I agree conpletely with this! You start where you are at with what you are able to do and progress slowly from there. It doesn't matter really how much or how little you do compared to the next person, all that matters is what is right and best for YOU! Eventually with time, patience, and strength we can do more, go a little longer, sink a little deeper, and add a few more reps onto the workouts. But until then, go at your pace and increase it when you feel the need.

I did the Upper Body and core work from Body Max 2 yesterday, a workout that was once my absolute favorite. Even though I am lifting a lot lighter now than when I last did the workout a few yrs back, I know I am doing what I can, safely. I have nice burn today throughout my UB and abs. With time I can up the weight and evenutally get back into come of the premixes on that DVD if I choose to.

It's not so important where you start but where you see yourself finishing- and it is to each all their own. Enjoy the journey!

I'm not advanced and I tried the 80 minute Legs yesterday and I was able to do most of it, by the time I got to the floor exercises I was exhausted and just did what I could (no weight), so I do think it is doable. I was really sweaty. I was also worried that I was too sore after the first 4 days of the 90 day program, but it was done in a way that didn't bother the parts that were hurting.

Whenever I start back, I do not do weighted leg workouts at all. The exercise that comes from cardio is enough for the leg muscles when you start back.

So, I usually focus on cardio for 2 weeks, then add in upper body weights, then add the keg weight training last, because by then, the initial DOMS is over, some strength has returned from doing cardio and so has elasticity in the muscle. The whole leg feels more capable and better by then.

I am starting back after 3 months away from exercise. I am following this exact pattern. I pre-viewed XT All Out Low Impact HiiT last night: that IS a leg workout, with no impact and no weights. That will do for my leg work until I am stronger. That and workouts like Lowmax. Only once I can complete body weight only exercises like those Lowmax blasts do I do "weight training" per se.

Clare

It's nice to have company with restarting

I'm still hoping for Cathe to reply but thanks for the great suggestions on how you are using Xtrain's Legs. I tried Burn Sets Chest, Back and shoulders today. Absolutely loved it! I'll try Xtrain's Legs in parts and keep adding until I can complete the entire workout. So, I'm still on the question - the standing section plus what?!?! Lol!

I completely agree with Clare :) ...I'm also just getting back with it after double knee injuries (and multiple other layoffs over the years..work...life..yaknow :eek::p)...and... i.e. my bum was sore for ... um.. days... after doing (on separate days) Supercuts then Hard Strikes (31min premix) then the 30min Ride then Mountain Biking for 80 minutes... yep, my legs have had enough :eek: I do look forward to some weighted leg workouts as I definitely see the most ROI from those, but building back a base, this has been, eh, challenging enough ...for me anyway :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.