How to get a career in fitness off the ground??

Fit_mommy

Cathlete
I was laid off from my job and instead of thinking of it as a bad thing, I am considering it a new beginning. I didn't like the job anyway so now I want to try to get into a field that I enjoy...like FITNESS! :D

Aside from the obvious - getting certified - do any of the personal trainers and/or group fitness instructors out there have any advice for me on what I can do to help me get started in the industry? In this economy it is very hard to get a prospective employer to give you the time of day even if you are applying for a job that you have experience in so how do I get someone to give me a chance with no experience!? :confused:

TIA for anything anyone can offer!:)

Do you have a gym that you already belong to or one in mind that you would like to work at? Maybe you could start there - see if they host any instructor training classes, go to classes and meet other instructors, get CPR certified. I do think it helps if you have a gym that you go to so that staff that already works there knows you as a familiar face. I know several people that have been hired off the recommendation of other instructors and also people who ended up teaching a class that they used to take.

This is pretty much how I got my start. Then, when one of the regular instructors went on vacation I got asked to fill in even though I had no experience, I did have my certifications though. All went well and after that I was given my own class.

Good Luck!

There is a stay at home mom in our area (same school/church) and she started a fitness class in the church basement. I think she does it twice/wk in the mornings (and charges) and has been going strong since 2006!!!!! The weekly bulletin advertised her classes way back when and I have never seen a new posting since (word of mouth must be what keeps her going). That might be a suggestion.

good luck.

Fit mommy:

wow, I am sorry to hear you got laid off (for the difficulty of it) but also glad for you (for the time off and new beginnings!)

Having read you on the boards for at least a year and a half, I wish I lived closer ( I think you are in or near NJ?) I would definitely go to one of your classes and I am not a go-to-class girl.

Please let us know what goes on and I hope you are able to enjoy your time off to relax, workout, hang with your son...etc!

Thank you for the suggestions, ladies! I really appreciate the feed back!

Tracy, you are too sweet. Thank you so much!

Anyone else have anything to add? I would love to hear from others as well! :)

Wendy, I'm close to two women who teach classes for a full time living. One friend does Zumba and Silver Sneakers, water aerobics and she does self improvement classes (Artist Way, De Clutter) and my dance teacher, who teaches about 18 classes a week plus performs.
They are both successful, both are always on top of their craft and both are passionate about what they do. They work their biz in a regular consistent manner and are smart with marketing. I think they both carry insurance thru one of the fitness organisations. My dance teacher does a few free classes in the community here and there and there are other chances where people see her troupes perform and they become interested in finding a class.
Community centers, outdoor bootcamps. Maybe another instructor would let you shadow her/him. If you didn't poach on her territory, you'd be a good sub for that person and she'd have a more flexible schedule.
You'd be great, good luck.

Thanks! :)

So I've looked around alot at the certification possibilities and I've finally picked one! One that I always hoped for but didn't think existed! I can go to LIVE CLASSES at my local community college to earn a personal trainer certification! They include lectures plus hand on learning (aka-lab as you would call it in college) AND a 30 hr internship after you pass the exam so that you gain experience! WOO HOO! EXACTLY what I need and want out of a certification course! I am soooo excited!!!! It's a 6 week program that takes place every Saturday for about 8 hours per day! It starts in mid October. :D

Wish me luck!;)

Thanks Sherry! :)

Well, prior to finding and signing up for the certification course, I had applied to several area gyms in hopes of getting hired for the front desk, etc in order to "get my foot in the door" but letting them know my ultimate goal was to be a trainer. The hope was that I would certify while working for them and then start as a trainer in the same gym. Well no one responded :(...until now! I got a call last night while I was out from one of the clubs I applied to! I called her back this morning but she wasn't in yet...just waiting for the return phone call now. So nervous! Wish me luck!:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back