How much weight can you lift over your head?

kimyenchu

Cathlete
Hello everyong,

Today I did PS Legs and, for the first time, I lifted about 25kg (55lbs) over my head without a squat rack. I found the lifting over pre-exercise almost OK - I could lift it clear over my head and on to my shoulders. However, the lifting off the shoulder post exercise was not the best - I had to bend my head to lift it back off the shoulders and it just skimmed the top of my head a little. Is this bad form, and could it be dangerous? I can work all the leg exercises quite comfortably, in fact, I think I could've gone heavier, and definitely need to continue working with this weight if I want to improve. I don't have the money to buy a squat rack right now.

What I would like to know is how many of you can lift 55lbs or more over your head without using a squat rack or spotter? Is it possible that I can one day be able to lift this much with good form post exercise? This is the first time I tried this weight and I had the same problems when I lifted 40lbs+. Actually, I still have problems lifting 40lbs over my head.

I also tried PS chest exercises with 40lbs barbell and I really struggled with that. How long does it take for your body to really get stronger?

Yen

I keep the amount I lift overhead (for placement for squats) to 45# (40# on a 'not feeling as strong' day), just for shoulder safety.

The form you describe when taking the bar from your shoulders could definitely lead to problems. Any overhead lift should be smooth, otherwise there's a chance of injury.

I don't know of anyone who can safely lift the amount of weight onto their shoulders that they could squat (except in high-rep endurance workout, where the weight is relatively low compared to what you'd need to really work the legs with under 20 reps).

If you still have problems lifting 40# overhead, I'd advise you to keep that as your upper limit for the bar in squats.

You mentioned a squat rack, which would allow you to lift heavier, but another alternative is to add weight in another form. When I lift more then 45# in squats, I add weight with a weighted vest (a backpack filled with books could work as well, just make sure nothing is awkward or dangerous). My vest goes to 20# (I just got an "undervest" for it, which can add 18 more pounds, for a total of 38), which makes a nice 65# squat. (If I need heavier, I use my Rockit, which is a squat/leg press machine that I've used up to 200#--no way I'm lifting that at home, even with a rack!).

You could also add weight with ankle weights connected together to form a weight belt (I have a pair of Ironwear ankle/thigh weights that do just that, and make a 10# belt).

I can do about 60-65 lbs over my head. I can get 70 over on a good day, but not back off comfortably or safely (HONEY!!!!! come help me!!!) I have found for me that sometimes its more about the balance than the strength to get that kind of weight over my head. I need to make sure my abs are sucked up tight and my back is nice and stable, too, otherwise much more than 40 isn't possible.

Nan

I can lift about 65lbs over my head safely and back down again. I don't usually go any higher than that at home. I use the gym for anything higher.
Namita

I can lift up to 50 pounds onto my shoulders, not more than that.

I can, however, safely lift 70 pounds off my shoulders, which is just as well! Taking the barbell off the shoulders is a lot easier for me than getting it up there in the first place.

Strength is an odd thing: it seems to come along in fits and starts. I can be working on a new weight level for several months before suddenly, it is easier and I have accomplished it. For strength, don't give up and remember, patience is a virtue!

Clare

Yen,

If I do more than 40 or 45 pounds, then I have my hubby help me with the bar on and off. Or, if he isn't around then my Smith Machine works just as well.

Janie

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif
[/url]

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

I really can't lift more than 55lbs over my head for squats. Any more than that I can just see my lower back having some serious damage done to it.

I just recently purchased a weighted vest and it is amazing. I can go from 55lbs (on the barbell only) to 75lbs( with the weight vest on plus the barbell). It's awesome--I don't have to lift crazy amounts of weight over my head.

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

I found that I needed DH's help if I go over #80 with my barbell. I ended up getting the squat stands for my heavier leg weight work.

Clean and jerk - 90lbs at 3 reps (but I think I can do more, that was the weight I stopped at). I have a goal of doing that with my body weight.

Yen - If you want to put heavier weights up without a rack, I'd check out some Olympic weight lifting sites for form pointers on the cleans (power clean, hang power clean, etc), push press, push jerk, shoulder press, etc. You'd be surprised at how much you can really lift with the right form.

Performance Menu http://www.performancemenu.com has some nice video demos, as does CrossFit http://www.crossfit.com.

Hello Gayle,

Thanks for the link.

I think I might take a few personal training lessons with a trainer and have him demonstrate to me how it could be done. I always attribute my poor form to tiredness after doing the exercise rather than to poor form.

I would love to be able to lift much heavier than this without assistance.

Yen

hi Yen!
the most i can lift over my head onto my shoulders is 85# to 90#
That's on a good day. Any other time, i'm lifting 65# to 75#. Anywhere between that.

Tricie,

Firstly, let me just say I'm in awe.

Can you lift that much with good form? As in after you've done 3 sets of squats and you need to lift the barbell off your shoulders, can you lift it high and clear off the shoulders and over the head? That is my main problem, the post exercise lift over the head.

How long did it take you to get to that level? And what exercise did you do for upper body strength?

Yen

I have a sincere question. I really don't understand, so bear with me.

WHY do you all want to lift that much weight over your head? Is there some benefit to it? Other than just sheer strength, I can't think of any reason this would be something to strive for.

I'm all for getting nice muscles and definition, but can't you achieve that without such heavy weight?

Thanks for any insight you can give me! :)

>WHY do you all want to lift that much weight over your head?
>Is there some benefit to it? Other than just sheer strength,
>I can't think of any reason this would be something to strive
>for.
>
>I'm all for getting nice muscles and definition, but can't you
>achieve that without such heavy weight?
>
>Thanks for any insight you can give me! :)

I want to do it because it is hard. }(

I'm doing it to build sheer strength and fitness, and to be able to take on more challenges in real life, not to get shredded and ripped. It's also an INCREDIBLE mental high when you start to put heavy weights up (overhead or otherwise).

For example, DH and I have a 450 pound wood stove that we need to move up two flights of stairs. Lifting light to moderate weights at high reps ain't gonna help with that. :D

>
>I want to do it because it is hard. }(
>
>I'm doing it to build sheer strength and fitness, and to be
>able to take on more challenges in real life, not to get
>shredded and ripped. It's also an INCREDIBLE mental high when
>you start to put heavy weights up (overhead or otherwise).
>
>For example, DH and I have a 450 pound wood stove that we need
>to move up two flights of stairs. Lifting light to moderate
>weights at high reps ain't gonna help with that. :D

Thanks for explaining, Gayle! :)

JeanneMarie,

I want to do it because I would like to improve upper body strength compare to lower body. I was at the gym with a personal trainer the other day and he commented that women have stronger lower body strength than men. I think he's right because it's taken me forever to build upper body strength as opposed to lower body.

Lifting 55lbs over the head is actually not that heavy when you consider that I can probably squat 70lbs+ right now without feeling sore the day after. It's very hard for me to go up even a pound for the upper body, but lower body I can up the weight by 5lbs quite easily. It's all about balance.

Hope this helps.

Yen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back