How much cardio do you need?

SRP

Cathlete
Hi. I understand that when your goal is to build muscle strength and mass, you don't really want to do a lot of it. But my question is, what is the actual scientific thought about cardio today? If a person can't do true HIIT for all those benefits, what should she be aiming for?

I feel like since I can't do real high impact, high intensity cardio, I should use longer workouts to get more benefit. Is that faulty thinking? Of course since I love cardio, I will most likely continue my longer workouts - all low impact, of course! :)

I think this is a great topic to revisit since newer research has come out regarding the types of cardio based on age (pre-menopause vs post-menopause) and goals (heart health, fat loss, desire for endurance for long bike rides, hikes, etc). I'd like to see these topics addressed in Cathe's blog and newsletter too.

This is the last info I heard on the topic. "Each week adults need 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity and 2 days of muscle strengthening activity, according to the current Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans." If you look into it, though, they'll also mention that 150 minutes is for moderate-intensity - so if you do high-intensity, it can count as double the minutes (time). Keep in mind that the low impact that you are doing is not necessarily low or moderate intensity. A brisk walk is often used as an example of moderate-intensity. A LOT of Cathe's low impact workouts get my heart pumping more than a brisk walk. When this research first came out, I was trying to keep track of the time I was spending on cardio and making sure I did enough strength training - all while attempting to squeeze in the mobility, balance, flexibility, etc. stuff that is needed at my age. To top it off, I was attempting to do more for my mental health by taking my active recovery days more seriously. Uggggh! I felt nothing but stress. I didn't have enough time for it all and it felt like work rather than fun. The stress of trying to squeeze everything in didn't feel good for my health at all. Then, I had an "duh" moment. "Duh! A lot of strength workouts (especially legs) ARE cardio." So, if you're strength training, you're likely getting more cardio than you're giving yourself credit for. That said, if you love cardio - do more of it. Your body will tell you if you're doing too much, and it's good for our minds to do more of what we enjoy. The experts can only provide guidelines. Every person's body is different, so do what works for yours. :) Hope Cathe responds to your post, because she'd know if there's even more recent research/info out there.

I love cardio and always will. There’s nothing like a good sweaty session. But since I’ve gotten more serious about weight training, I’ve cut back on cardio-something I just didn’t think I could do. I’ve now learned that a lot of weight training workouts also have a cardio factor. The 3 new STS 2.0 total body workouts certainly get my heart rate up. Ditto for workouts like Muscle Endurance, Flex Train, all 3 PHA’s, S&S Total Body Giant Sets to name a few. This morning I did Cardio Core Circuit, which is one of my all time favorites. In my book, it’s a cathe classic like KPC and the intensity and body blast series. I did one of the hip hop abs workouts this week and it’s just fun not to complicated dance cardio. Fun when you need to let loose and boogie.

A lot of strength workouts (especially legs) ARE cardio." So, if you're strength training, you're likely getting more cardio than you're giving yourself credit for.

Typically, I would do 2 cardio workouts a week if I was focused on heavy weight training and 1 cardio workout if I was doing more metabolic/endurance weightlifting workouts, e.g. PHA, as I found that these types of workouts gave me a good cardio workout too. I've had to cut back on cardio over the last 6-7 months due to hip bursitis/tendonitis. I've had to focus on metabolic upper body workouts to get a sweat up and I bought an arm bike which I do HIIT type workouts on. You don't realize how much cardio factor you get from lower body strength work until you can't do it. It is much harder to get a good cardio workout when you're limited to upper body only.

Typically, I would do 2 cardio workouts a week if I was focused on heavy weight training and 1 cardio workout if I was doing more metabolic/endurance weightlifting workouts, e.g. PHA, as I found that these types of workouts gave me a good cardio workout too. I've had to cut back on cardio over the last 6-7 months due to hip bursitis/tendonitis. I've had to focus on metabolic upper body workouts to get a sweat up and I bought an arm bike which I do HIIT type workouts on. You don't realize how much cardio factor you get from lower body strength work until you can't do it. It is much harder to get a good cardio workout when you're limited to upper body only.
Would you be able to do something like an elliptical or recumbent bike? Aqua aerobics? I think they even make a recumbent elliptical. It’s been a year since my knee injury which thankfully appears to be stable and im still using my brace but I remember when i rehabbed last summer doing P.volve. It felt weird to do no cardio. I hope your hip gets better soon.

Would you be able to do something like an elliptical or recumbent bike?
Thanks ashaw. I was looking at maybe hiring an elliptical but there seems to be mixed reviews on whether an elliptical is OK for hip bursitis. Some reviews I've seen have indicated it can make it worse. Also, I just can't fit one anywhere in my house, which also rules out a recumbent bike or any other large piece of equipment. As for aqua aerobics, it's not my thing, neither is swimming or any other water activity. I've had a steroid injection in the hip and I'm working with my Pilates instructor doing various rehab exercises to make the surrounding muscles work to take the strain off my hip. It has definitely improved but I'm not ready for lower body cardio yet.

I think a LOT depends on how active you are throughout your regular day.
I'd always had a desk job and did cardio daily - no more than 20min at a time.
It was still not enough to maintain a smaller size.
However, it was enough for me....too much and I get cortisol elevation.
Now I just use my Bowflex Velocore daily and have increased my daily activity (since I retired in March). I live in a Townhouse and so use the stairs frequently throughout the day. I really think it DEPENDS on each person's ADLs (Activities of Daily Living)
Cathe addressed this in today's newsletter:
Edited to add: I have ALWAYS done Strength Training 4-6x/wk 30-60min/d.

Last edited:
ashaw, what type/brand of knee brace do you have? I injured my knee & also have arthritis in it, so looking for some type of knee support…thanks.
I use Bauerfeind. If you go to their site they have a lot of different braces for osteoarthritis, ACL, meniscus, etc. But they’re also expensive. I found the one for me, then got on eBay and found a brand new one for much less.

Ouch! OMG, they are expensive! I was thinking more in the line of $20-30. LOL. Thanks, but I can’t really do $150-200. At least right now. :) Maybe I will check EBay too.
You’re welcome! Check eBay for sure! I think I got mine for around $60. I got it a year ago in September and will probably replace it around that time. I wore it during my Turbo Jam cardio and felt nothing in my knee.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.