How much alcohal?

Missklp27

Cathlete
Okay, I know that it is not good to drink and I try my best to stay away from it as much as I can. I am very tall and thin and am not trying to lose weight, but currently in a routine to build muscle and tone(shrink =) my midsection. The problem is that I do go out every Wed. nights to play in a tournament at our local bar and I will usually have a couple glasses of white wine. And sometimes after work on Sat(waitress) we are allowed to have a drink(1), but I dont always do. I wanted to know how much of an impact this is going to make or is making on my routine/body? I stay away from sugary liquor and beer(yuk) and if I do want a drink I have some wine.

Any info would help. Im not a heavy drinker but I do love my wine once in a while and I feel guilty drinking it.

Karen

Sounds like you're doing fine. I go out w/friends once every week or two & have a few glasses of wine (sometimes more than a few!;-) ) and it hasn't seemed to affect my health, weight or fitness routine. You have to live a little!

Thats what I say! I need to enjoy myself once in a while.
But I still feel guilty sometimes....especially that I work so hard at exercise.

You shouldn't feel guilty. IMO there is far too much guilt about far too many things in our society. You exercise, you eat right, you probably are healthier & in better shape than 95% of our population. What's to feel guilty about?

Besides, who wants to be a boring old machine anyway? Nobody's perfect & I for one have no desire to be. Flawless people bore the crap out of me.

All things in moderation, including moderation:)! A few drinks with friends is one of life's pleasures and I love sharing a glass with loved one's on occasion. The thing that I find is that all too often when there are drinks there is also lots of food and I must be extra careful in my selections and strong in my relsolve. After 2 drinks resolve may soften such that I have indulged in more than drink but have indulged in too much food, that's when I say crank the music, let's dance and burn some of this off before it hits my hips :7.

I respect that alcohol can be a demon to some and think it's prudent to exercise a good measure of caution where alcohol is concerned.

Take Care
Laurie

I agree...no need to feel guilty at all! I enjoy wine and drinks in moderation (and sometimes NOT in moderation :) ) without guilt! We do so many things that are great for our bodies and I see nothing wrong with allowing myself the things that make life enjoyable for me. Relaxing with a glass of wine and catching up with my honey after a long day of workout, work and everything else that goes along with it is a true reward to me!

Of course, I will agree that sometimes food goes along with aocohol or the fact that drinking gives me munchies or that "oh, the hell with it" attitude about food, so that is one thing that I try to be careful about!

You don't harm your health if you drink moderately but I haven't seen muscle definition until I quit drinking and I haven't lost any weight.

Of course, are you 21?

Could be the carbs. I wouldn't touch a beer w/a ten foot pole--it's the best way to make muscles disappear.x( But wine & liquor are very low carb so don't really affect weight. I know--I didn't believe it at first either, what w/all the sugar in grapes--but wine is less than one carb per serving, as opposed to the 25 or so in regular beer. Even the low carb beers are about 12 per serving. Think about the damage after a mere 3 beers!

Oh No!Say it aint so, Maximus. I do like to have a couple (or few) beers with friends and husband on the weekends. On hot days out on our boat, I'd hate to think, or admit for that matter, how many I consume in a day. I thought for sure wine was worse.
Susan C.M.:D

Sorry Susan, it's so. Beer is like the WORST thing to drink if you're trying to stay slim. Maybe you could check into some wine coolers or something? Probably more carbs than regular wine, but less than beer & still refreshing on a hot day.

I'm actually taking a nutrition class at the moment and my text book states that a:

12oz beer has 117 calories and 6 grams of carbs.
12oz light beer has 99 calories and 5 grams of carbs.
4oz white wine has 80 calories and 1 gram of carbs.
" " red wine has 85 calories and 2 grams of carbs.

So it is better but how often do you only get a 4oz glass of wine at a restaurant?

I say do what makes you happy, we only live once.

I think it's interesting that we're the only culture in the world that doesn't include alcohol in our food pyramid.

No way!:p

OK a friend left a case of Bud at my house after a party, I'll check carb content when I'm home tonight & report back tomorrow. :)

I remember overhearing an exchange between my great Uncle and my Dad once, funny enough they were talking about how much weight my beer drinking Aunt had gained and my Uncle said dryly "that would be mostly foam!":+ :p

Carbs be damned, I will always love the taste of a cold beer after mowing the lawn on a hot day!!

Take Care
Laurie

I wouldn't worry about the carbs as much as the fact that alcohol contains 7 (pretty much empty) calories per gram, and it also is supposed to cause your body to store fat more easily.

Karen:

you drink hardly anything at all. Enjoy your life. The stress reduction you get from hanging out with your friends with a glass of wine way overpowers any teeny, tiny carb threat from the beverage itself.

We don't need to anaylze everything and suck the fun out of everything we do and imbibe and ingest. Let's live a little, huh?

Enjoy your wine. Hey, zillions of Europeans can't be wrong!

Clare

Wow, thanks all for the comments!
I do enjoy my wine a little bit more now that I know how much calories and fat and what not are in it. I was mainly more concerned with the sugar but like you said, what the heck!!
Oh, and to answer a prior question, Im 29.=)

Low carb beers

I really wouldn't worry about a few drinks a week. I'm 25 and drink much more! I know I won't be going out to bars so much next year when I'm older and out of college.

The main drawback I see is if you have a few drinks, get tipsy, and crave junk food. You don't care about eating a plate of nachos or fries. That's where my problem comes in.

I usually stick with light beers like Miller Lite which has 96 calories and 3.2g of carbs or Michelob Ultra which has 95 calories and 2.6g of carbs. So those who think lite beers are high in carbs are a little bit off. Of course, if you have 15 beers, it adds up!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.