How many classes per week for instructors to teach?

Hi Cathe and everyone on the forum,

I am a graduate assistant of fitness for my recreation center and I oversee the group exercise program. I am in the process of developing a "group ex handbook" for the instructors, since our program is relatively new, as is the Rec.

My question is, is their a guideline as to how many classes an instructor can teach per week? I really want to make sure my instructors are safe and not overdoing it and becoming burnt out or obsessive. I know from experience that burnout happens when doing to much!

Any thoughts and advice are appreciated:)

P.S Cathe I am a huge fan and I watch your shows on FIT TV in the morning when I am eating breakfast and drinking coffee to get ideas- you are great!!!

Hey Christine,

When I took my AFAA certification last year, the instructor advised that the maximum classes they recommend is seven per week. I'm not sure if that's changed in the past year. I'm not sure if I agree with it, especially if the classes are different types...I think teaching different class formats would prevent the boredom part of it, but maybe not so much the burnout.

I currently teach 8 per week, and although I don't have a minute to breathe, I really do enjoy what I do!

Just thought I'd chime in.

Jill

PS. I also watch Cathe every morning while I get ready for work!

Jill,
Thanks for the reply. I wonder if the 7 class per week policy means only cardio classes? If so, I would agree with 7 cardio classes per week- really no need to do more! But different formats is another thing, especially since we want to promote a 'well rounded' fitness routine, including strength training and flexibility.

Do you ever have problems with instructors going over board, in terms of over-exercising? This is another policy I would like to look into- How would you approach someone who you think is doing too much?

**Gotta love Cathe in morning getting ready:) I think I've seen every episode a million times lol considering I have been watching it since 2005!

Ya' know, that's a good question.... I didn't think to ask if she was only referring to cardio, but I believe that she was, because the question came up while another member was asking about how many kickboxing classes a week would be safe for her to teach.

There are some instructors that I work with who teach 25 plus classes a week! Teaching is their full time job, but I still think that is begging for injury, burnout, etc...I think I would just set a limit as to how many classes per week my instructors could teach if I was an exercise director...I wouldn't want an instructor on the schedule too much for two reasons: 1) the burnout of course, and 2) I would want variety for the members.

Hope this helps! And yes, watching Cathe is great! I get a lot of my ideas from her...now I just need to get up and DO the exercising and get ready for work after!

I was a group ex instructor for 23 years, until last spring. I will probably take it up again when life settles down a little bit for me, as it has always been a passion of mine. I am keeping my certifications up to date. :)

I have had times where I taught more than 7 classes per week, and I have had times where I taught while injured. The trick for instructors is in knowing how to cue without actually doing the whole class, and showing enthusiasm. If an instructor is good at this, they may only be doing some moves here and there for demonstration purposes, and participants may not even realize that the instructor isn't doing the whole class! I currently take Spinning classes from an instructor who teaches 20+ classes per week. You can bet he isn't doing the class most of the time, but he is a superb instructor who keeps everyone motivated. Instead of staying on his bike, he gets out among the participants, addresses them by name, helps them out, cheers them on, etc. People love him.

If the instructor is doing the whole class with the participants, then the guidelines I've always heard are what's been said here - no more than 7 classes. My personal limit was more like 5 per week. The points you make about variety are very valid and a good reason to limit the number of classes an individual instructor is responsible for (whether he/she participates in all of them or not).

As for fitness instructors over-exercising, yeah, this can be a huge problem. Many instructors out there have eating disorders and/or exercise addiction issues. When I started out at the age of 23, this definitely applied to me, and I know I wasn't alone. I am not sure how to address it, except to have management tactfullly mention things they have observed, in the context of the effect on the profession (e.g. "Terri, I've noticed that after you teach your Group Power class at 6:00, you go out on the floor and work out for two more hours straight. What do you think about the impression this may be giving our members?").

Stebby

When I used to teach (over 10 years ago) I taught about 15 a week (and yes, it was my full time job). I did burn out quickly -- I was only 21 and felt like I was 91!

These were only cardio classes at the time -- it may have been different if there were a few Body Pump, yoga or pilates in there.

Charlene

Thank you all for your input.

Wow 20 + classes, that's a lot! I think my joints would hate me!:) I would love to teach full time one day...it's so fun and enjoyable.

>Thanks for your input.
>
>I know, I just watch and not do it! Pretty lazy for an
>instructor huh?;)

You are doing RESEARCH. It's important!!! :p }(

Hi all - I'm currently trying to figure out which group fitness certification I am going to get. I was wondering......

1. What certifications do you all have?

2. What is the approximate pay per class or hour?

I'm not necessarily doing it for the money, but I'm just wondering - maybe I could cut back on my job that I have now. :D

Thank you
Marcia.

I'm interested in knowing what they're paying instructors nowadays -- every once in a while I think about going back. ;)

ACE and AFAA certifications for me (I keep them current, even though I'm not teaching anymore).

Charlene

I have ACE - last year I taught 9 hours a week - feeling no big deal since 4 were water classes and often I taught from outside the pool (though with my bellowing and jumping along, I was always drenched!)...my rotator finally wrenched into agony, my mcls on both knees are strained.....I'm 46, (was also teaching Zumba,Turbokick, Bodypump,hot yoga and Ashtanga)....now its just yoga and my workouts are my own to nurse my bo0-boos......Totally agree with the gal who said that instructors who teach pumped up classes more than seems reasonable DO seem to have some issues...its an easy trap to fall into.....

Trust in the LORD with all your heart.

hi ya'll, i asked this somewher eelse, but since there is alot of knowledge on this board, i hope you don't mind me asking it here.
i have read from several reliable sources that you should always do weights before cardio. something to do with ATP in your muscles that cardio depletes quickly. what are ya'lls thoughts on this? thanks cathy

Trust in the LORD with all your heart.

hi ya'll, i asked this somewher eelse, but since there is alot of knowledge on this board, i hope you don't mind me asking it here.
i have read from several reliable sources that you should always do weights before cardio. something to do with ATP in your muscles that cardio depletes quickly. what are ya'lls thoughts on this? thanks cathy

Hi Cathy,

I do not think it matters which you do first, BUT more importantly, tt matters what your specific GOALS are.

For example, if you are trying to gain muscle, I would lift first so you can put all of your energy into your lifts. With this in mind, you could follow with cardio or just do cardio on a separate day altogther. I know a lot of body builders who say they always do Weights first because if they put all of their energy into their cardio first, they may not be able to perform as well with their heavy lifts. Some even split it up with cardio in the morning and weights at night, and vice versa.

On the other hand if you are training for a marathon, your focus would be on your runs and you would obviously not be trying to gain mass when training for a marathon- it would be pretty hard to do!! :9

Hi Cathy,

I do not think it matters which you do first, BUT more importantly, tt matters what your specific GOALS are.

For example, if you are trying to gain muscle, I would lift first so you can put all of your energy into your lifts. With this in mind, you could follow with cardio or just do cardio on a separate day altogther. I know a lot of body builders who say they always do Weights first because if they put all of their energy into their cardio first, they may not be able to perform as well with their heavy lifts. Some even split it up with cardio in the morning and weights at night, and vice versa.

On the other hand if you are training for a marathon, your focus would be on your runs and you would obviously not be trying to gain mass when training for a marathon- it would be pretty hard to do!! :9

Thank you Ichristine! From all my years of experience I would say that 3 to 4 is the magic number. And of that 3 to 4 have them all be a different type of class (ie: weights, spin, kickbox, step, yoga, aqua, etc.). If an instructor needs to do more than that, they need to coach more than participate in order to keep their body fresh. I would say more than 7 per week (on a steady basis) will start to enter emotional burnout in about a year. Just my two cents:)

Thanks so much! I agree, 3-4 is a good number. There are times when I just want to do my own thing, but with teaching too much it can be tiring. I have lightened my load for the upcoming semester a lot so I can focus on my strength training.

Thanks again for everyones input:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.