How many calories do you eat a day?

>Wow Dani, with all your running I thought you could probably
>eat at least 2500 hundred calories and be fine:) I typically
>run 6.2 miles 4 to 5 times a week, work out an additional 5-6
>hours (weights, whatever) per week and need to eat under 1500
>calories to lose weight, 2000 to maintain. I have one of
>those tortoise metabolisms unfortunately, lol!

Nope! You would think wouldn't you? It stinks!! x( Since I'm increasing my mileage so to be so high, I think I am retaining water too. I'm up to 20 miles now! I just ran that last Sunday. Bone density, extra blood volume, water retention with the extra glycogen...it's all making my weight stay up there. My clothes still fit fine though. I read that this is common with first time marathoners.

I've gone through a huge change in the past two months. I used to have to keep it under 1500 calories to lose weight. Once I started the Aug Bootcamp rotation and starting eating a healthy dinner as well as a large lunch just in order to do the workout, the weight has been coming off. Just the synergy of a long workout (90-minutes) cardio and circuit combo has had a huge impact on my metabolism. That's just the thing that worked for me.

Your metabolism will mostly be determined by your genetics with exercise, age and body composition influencing your burn rate to some extent. You can measrue your basal MR through a breathalyzer type test available from many nutrionists, many gyms and personal trainers. The results can give you a good idea of how many calories you need/day to maintain or lose weight. I think the apparatus is called a BodyGem but I could be mistaken about the name.

I don't know how many calories I'm eating each day. I eat when I'm hungry and stop eating when I'm full (most of the time). I also give my body what it's craving, because the body is good at letting you know what it needs. Sometimes a salad sounds good, and sometimes a burger sounds good.

Also, since Cathe's workouts are more intense than the Firm's, you are going to need more food to give you the energy to get through the workout...and your day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.