How does one cook steel cut oats?

kimlav

Cathlete
I have recently decided to try steel cut oats as I have been reading about how good they are. Trouble is I cannnot remember where I was reading about them and how to cook them. Can anyone help? I think they probably take a little longer to cook than traditional oats and I am also thinking that 2 cups of water to one cup of oats would be the right ratio.

In any event, if anyone knows, please jump in and advise.

Thanks.

Kim

from Deborah Madison's book

Madison uses 5 cups water for 1 3/4 cup of oats (that's a lot of servings!). She gives 2 cooking methods. First: Boil water, add salt, slowly stir in oats & bring back to a boil. Then transfer to a double boiler & simmer for about 35 minutes. Second method is overnight: Simmer oats in top of double boiler for 5 minutes the night before. Cover pot & leave overnight. Then just reheat the next morning.

Wow, no wonder I stick to the Americanized oats! Have you tried any of the 7, 9, or 10 grain cereals? They take about 10 minutes to cook (without a double boiler) & are quite tasty. Great with maple syrup but what isn't?

RE: from Deborah Madison's book

You may be able to microwave them. You can cook long cooking rice that way, and I cook oatmeal (old fashioned kind) in a microwave. That overnight method doesn't seem too bad. Sort of like soaking beans.

Very easy, not time consuming

I buy Bob's Red Mill and the instructions are right on the package. Boil 3 c water. Add 1 cup oats. Simmer 10-20 mins depending on how chewy you like it. I think they are better than rolled oats. You don't have to use hardly any sugar as they seem naturally sweet!

Andrea

This may be unconventional, but works great if you are in a hurry in the AM. I put the oats & water in a covered container in the fridge overnight, then all I have to do it warm them in the microwave in the morning. Saves a lot of time & energy.

I bet you were reading a recent Health magazine about this? They made them sound soooo good, I decided to try them also. I bought the ones they sell at Trader Joe's in a can. It says four cups water and one cups oats but that's too much for me. I use two cups of FAT FREE VANILLA SOY MILK and half a cup of oats. Boil the soy milk, pour the oats in and simmer for thirty minutes. If you are using a non-stick pan, you can basically ignore them for that time. Just stir once in a while. I don't add anything at all to this because the vanilla soy milk adds enough sweetness - delicious and very healthy. Try it - you'll never go back

RE: Thanks everyone

I think Julier is right in that it was a Health magazine that I read about the steel cut oats but I couldn't find that specific article. I am a little behind on my fitness magazine reading these days it seems and to remember which one a good article came from, well.........you know.

Anyway, thanks for the info everyone. It is very much appreciated.

Kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.