How do you prepare and eat steel cut oats?

LizN

Cathlete
I have just bought a packet of steel cut oats and wondered how to prepare them. I have read that they fill you up more than oatmeal. I am planning them for breakfast with this nifty new Australian product called Protein Crunch (crunchy protein powder) and a bit of fruit.

Clean oat eaters, please share!

Liz N

PS - I am finding the cost of eating clean high too - just spent 70.00 on vegetables alone, but the thought of eating the processed stuff just doesn't appeal anymore!

I think of it like rice but the ratio is 4 cups water to one cup oats. Bring the water to a boil and then put the oats in. Simmer on low for 20 minutes uncovered (UNlike rice). You can add whatever you think you might like to flavor it up but you may not need to do much if you like oatmeal. I love it! I usually add cinnamon and raisins. My kids like a little butter and brown sugar, or maple syrup, but if you are going for 'clean' I would definitely skip that. Making it with nonfat milk instead of water is also flavorful. This is one of my favorite things, and feel like there is a lot you can do with it by adding fruit, and while I like oatmeal in general, steel cut is my favorite.

Thanks Dani,

Your suggestions have been awesome, especially the cinnamon and raisins. Yum!

Thanks,
Liz

Because I'm too lazy or in a hurry to prepare this every day, when I do, I cook about 4 servings at a time, save some to bowls in the fridge, and eat the rest fresh. I top it with soy milk, maple syrup (real stuff, not the "maple-flavored" crap), ground golden flax. Sometimes I'll add raisins or blueberries.

For the leftovers, I chop up the now somewhat solid mass, add soymilk, then heat it in the microwave, where it gets smooth again. Then top with maple syrup and flax.

With dark "bamboo" honey (not really made from bamboo; it has more antioxidants than lighter honey and a deeper flavor); plus cinnamon and a few toasted almonds. I find this really holds me after my morning cardio.

Kathryn, does it still taste good as a leftover? I bought some but they didn't cook as good in the microwave like the whole rolled oats I usually buy. I'd hate to make so much in a crockpot when it's just me, if I wouldn't be able to eat all of it. I don't have time in the AM for the stove top option.

I just don't want it to taste like the instant crap after I reheat it the next day. I also saw a mini crockpot at Bed Bath & Beyond that would work perfectly for a single serving or two, but I didn't buy it. Maybe I should.

Marla

>Kathryn, does it still taste good as a leftover?

Yes! At least I think so. The chopping, and adding soymilk before heating, are maybe the "secret"!

I second Dani (the other one). :)

I love them with skim milk, brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins. That's how my mom always made them for us when we were growing up. :)

I'm addicted to steel cut oats. It's making me salivate right now just thinking of them. I cook up a huge batch for the week too. I put in cinnamon, maple flavoring and I always make sure I add in a good dash of kosher salt. it brings the flavors into balance perfectly.

I love putting my ground flax seeds into it too with raisins and maybe some splenda.

I'm looking forward to trying fresh strawberries when they come into season.

As for re-heating is concerned. i think it tastes just as good as fresh. The oats are pretty firm and they hold their shape .The taste just mellows with time.

Enjoy your breakfast!

Danna

I had my first crack at them this morning - I only did enough for one serving 40g (I think that's just over an 1oz for you American gals - dry) - I cooked them in water (without salt) and added a little splenda and skim milk. They tasted great. I finished off with a soy isoflavone protein shake. I think I'd like a bit of fruit as well next time, but breakfast is done :) !

Thanks girls
Liz

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.