Hospital Bag...what did you pack, moms?

wendymin72

Cathlete
Hey ladies...

I have started packing the bag for the hospital...I took a list of suggested items off line and used that. I do not plan on bringing EVERYTHING they list and yet the amount of stuff seems enormous. Seems overdone to me. I haven't even finished the packing and the carry on bag that I have is jam packed! Should I realistically expect to pack a SUITCASE full as opposed to a carry on or "overnight" bag??

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img]
EDD: 05/19/05

I packed much more than I needed! I packed a lot of pads and breast pads. The hospital provided all the gigantic pads I needed...plus some to take home. I would only take a several breast pads, since you don't really need them until your milk comes in several days after delivery. I also packed lots of undies....I didn't need those either. The hospital provided the ugly disposable ones, and with the gigantic pads...they worked just fine! I did take a robe, socks, and slippers which was very useful. I had packed a gown to labor in, but my water had broke/gushed at the start of labor so I just wore the hospital gown since I was dripping....I packed two gowns to wear after the baby was born. I only wore my gown one night/day. The first day after the deliver...had to have a c-section because he was breech....I was too tired and sore to care what I had on. I did pack my hair dryer, some makeup, my toothbrush, chap stick, breast cream, and going home clothes. I had a separate bag with a small pillow and blanket for my husband - along with a travel toothbrush. He went home once a day to shower and change. And of course, I packed a going home outfit for my son and a blanket. Don't forget the camera!

I brought an entire suitcase.

I don't remember if this was on the packing list or not, but I brought our baby book along to write in. We didn't use printed announcements, so I filled those in at the hospital also and my husband mailed them right away so they got out really quickly. If you haven't already addressed your envelopes, you could bring those along in case you have extra time.

Good luck and enjoy your last few weeks of pregnancy!:)

Erica

You don't need undies or pads, those most likely will be provided and your sexy ndies won't work while you are bleeding profusely after having the baby. Bring slippers for you, a nursing nightie and robe(if you plan on nursing), hairbrush, toothbrush, a smaller fitting maternity outfit to wear home, an outfit for the baby, including socks ,blanket and hat. I recommend bringing outfits for each sex in case of a mistaken ultrasound.

OMG I seriously have no recollection of my hospital bag. I don't even remember what bag I used.

Wendy, if you have the time and the inclination, you could always post a list of what you're packing, and we can give you "yay or nay" on what you truly need?

(and I can be reminded about what the heck I should be packing LOL!)
Sandra

Okay, with all of my labors, the only things that I really remember even using or needing was gatorade (and other contraban if you do not feel queesy), comfy jammies and a birthing (or flex) ball. Believe me, you won't care about anything else, and the hospital provides you with everything you will need. You may want your DH to run out for some food, though. Hopital food sucks.
I think, that is a great idea, Sandra. We will be the yaya or naysayers to help you!

Okay so I will post my list tonight when I get home on this thread for you all!

Thanks sooo much!:)

~Wendy~

If I remember correctly my packing was very minimal.

This was my list:
*couple pair of socks & undies (my hospital did not offer disposable underwear)
*personal items - makeup, curling iron, hairbrush, hairspray, toothbrush & paste
*1 set of clothes to take baby home in and 2 extra diapers just in case
*1 baby blanket, even though it was the beginning of summer (June) the A/C can be quite cool for a baby
*I brought a nightgown, but did not use it. I opted for hospital gown.
*calling card & small address book with phone numbers
*maternity outfit to come home in

However if you are going to nurse, a nursing gown and robe would probably be a good idea and probably more convenient. I found the hospital supplies a lot of things.

I agree with Sandra about posting your list. We will be more than happy to let you know what we think, as I'm sure you are already aware.

I hate to be the barrier of "bad news", BUT, you should keep it in the back of your mind that a c-section is always a possibilty and you may not know that until 18 hours after labor started. I had a c-section totally by surprised because my son turned breech his last week in the womb. So the next day after my OB appointment I had a c-section - never thought it was a possbility and was caught off gaurd. Two of my friends went through 18+hours of labor just to have to have c-sections, totally unexpected as well. And if you have one your at the hospital usually around 4-5 days. So make sure you bring at least 2 gowns (if you don't want to wear theirs) and extra socks, and books and so forth encase this happens to you, and I hope it does not. Anyway I always tell my friends this cause nothing feel worse than being unprepared. Oh and read up at least once briefly on c-sections just so your in the know.

Other than that bring a gorgous outfit for the babe! :) oh and a few other hygene items!

Very good points, Julie. I think that in order to prevent taking too much to the hospital, I'll prepare for a standard 24 hour stay, but have another bag stashed at the house that DH can bring in after the baby's born, if it looks like my stay will be longer.

I do remember that my hospital bag included snacks! Plain bagels, fruit, and liquids, IIRC. You're not supposed to eat while you're in labour, but I figure that makes about as much sense as running a marathon without eating or gassing up in the middle. I know they say this so that you can handle a general anaesthetic "just in case", but I was in labour for 2 1/2 days - I needed food!

Cheers,
Sandra

Okay gals...here's my list of things for my bag...

For me and or DH

robe
nightgown
nursing bra
nurseing pads
socks
slippers
going home outfit
sanitary pads
toiletries
hair gel or spray (just in case I actually care! lol)
brush/comb
toothbrush/toothpaste
$ for snack machine
camera
book/magazine/etc.

For baby

newborn hat
2 blankets
2 onsies
2 pairs of socks
going home outfit
diapers

This is taken from a list I found online and I am not even utilizing the FULL list here!!!

TIA for any advice!:)

~Wendy~

Hi Wendy,

The list for the baby looks to be a little excessive. They don't let you usually put them into clothes until right before you are taking them home. So, I can't imagine why it would be necessary to bring two of everything. I would bring an outfit appropriate for the weather you've been having for the baby. But, as for diapers, the hospital will probably supply you with all that you will need for the trip home. Maybe the hospital where you are delivering has a list for expectant moms of what they can expect to receive at the hospital.

I had a vaginal birth and was only in the hospital for one night (left the next day I felt so good), so I just wore the hospital gown and a robe. I nursed, but found it just as easy to stay in my hospital gown than a nursing gown. But, then again I never really used nursing gowns so I guess it'll depend on your personal preference. I would bring a comfortable nursing bra and a few pads...most likely your milk will not come in for a few days, but it never hurts to be prepared. As for the rest of the list, we did bring those items plus a calling card. I was blessed to have had a good labor/delivery and recovery so some of the things I brought weren't necessary, but had I needed a C-section or needed more days of recovery I would have been glad to have packed it. We actually packed a card game too, and played it during labor...again, personal choice.

Hope all goes well with the birth of your little one!
Lindzebird

Your list looks really good, Wendy. I also suggest that nursing pads are really not necessary. You can always put them in an obvious place at home, and if your stay ends up being longer than a couple of days you can send DH home to pick them up. And I agree with Lindzebird that the stuff for baby is too much. My daughter was given a onsie by the hospital and I left her in that for the first day, didn't change her clothes except to bring her home 24 hours later. I'm pretty sure they provided diapers, but if you do decide to bring your own, you won't need very many. The hospital also provided those old fashioned mattress sanitary napkins, but I was more than happy to bring my own and use those instead. I don't think I needed anything for the baby until we actually left the hospital.

A toiletry that you will definitely want to bring if you are planning on nursing is a nipple ointment. Jeepers, I can't remember the name of it right now. It might have been Linolin (?). Anyone else know? It's an ointment you rub on your nipples to help soothe them after the baby's initial assaults. I didn't have any with me, but was able to buy a small tube in the hospital for $4. It was really, really helpful.

Does your hospital do the car seat check? We had to bring the car seat to the hospital and they wouldn't release the baby until we put her in the seat and they checked it to make sure she was in snug enough.

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know.
Cheers,
Sandra

Thanks for the tips, ladies!:)

I don't know if the hospital does the car seat check but I'm sure I can find out at my lamaze class next weekend when we are doing the hospital tour or something...

I am also figuring that no matter what I might want or need that I don't have...at some point, SOMEONE will be ready and willing to run an errand for us to pick up whatever it is...wether that means going down to our house to get it, or going to the nearest store, or somewhere in the hospital itself...

~Wendy~

I agree with Lindzebird that you probably won't need two of everything for the baby. The hospital will probably give you some diapers. Our hospital let us keep the newborn hat they put on her and they gave us an extra one, too. You might not need the sanitary pads as the hospital may supply all the pads and ugly undies for you. I wore the hospital gown through labor, delivery and one day of recovery (I ended up having a c-section) but then changed into a nursing gown I brought from home. I recommend you bring lip balm! I kept a tube by the bed my entire stay.
Diana

Your list sounds good. I agree, only one of each for the baby. 2 nightgounds for you. I had a surprise C-section and had to stay longer. Undies, they only provide 2 disposable ones and I stayed 4 days. You can always leave some items in the car and pack the basics.

Wendy,

You may be able to get the hospital to do footprints in the baby's book, so you may want to take that. Our local hospitals do that for the moms.

I use Aveda hair products and bought some of the travel size bottles to take. Oh, and I took my contacts, case, solution, and glasses. Hair dryer and curing iron. You all may think I am crazy but I actually did my hair and makeup after Sydney's birth... I was a little more realxed with Jordy Bug.

I'll share any other must haves if I think of any.

pack yourself some snacks for yourself during your hospital stay, the food sucks and its nice to have some little goodies. I always starve on the food, so i have learned to pack some nuts and chips and stuff.

Yep...or at least close enough...Lanolin. My hospital provided me with some for free. I would also suggest for any of you out there looking for good nursing pads to get Lansinoh. They are simply the best I've found...absorent without being bulky and they have a sticky on the back to hold them in place. I also got their Lanolin and it was much easier to spread. I've found them at walmart (the pads), but I don't know if they carry the ointment or not...my sister bought it for me with the first and I only needed to use it once in a while so I've still got some left.

Lindzebird

OK - I'm going to disagree with everyone and tell you to go ahead and pack two complete outfits for the baby. If the baby has a "diaper explosion" or pees while you are changing a diaper, the take home outfit will be ruined. Probably won't happen, but you never know. The extra baby outfit will take up very little room since the clothes are so tiny.

Erica

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.