Home Party Sales

baylian

Cathlete
Could anyone give me some insight . . . .

I am currently SAHM but would love to be doing something outside of the home that also gives me flexibility!!! I was heading into nursing but now classes are so full here in MI that clinicals are 3 years out.

I have looked into Inspiranza, Stella & Dot and Silpada sterling silver jewelry.

I am also wondering how much the economy has played into this.

Are there any other make up lines other than Avon and Mary Kay??? Can you do two products at the same time?

Thanks for all input . . .

CAbi parties are really popular here. I've been invited to 4 this fall already. Website is cabionline.com

I have a couple of their items and really like them.

Personally, I like having friends, so I don't think I'd try this. It may be possible to do it without being a bother to your friends, family, and neighbors, but I've never seen it happen.

Personally, I like having friends, so I don't think I'd try this. It may be possible to do it without being a bother to your friends, family, and neighbors, but I've never seen it happen.

I agree and much of it is vastly over priced so I rarely buy. I did go to a Silpada/Cabi party and both reps said they were very busy with parties. I am amazed at how much crap can be sold at home parties. Princess House? Thanks but I can sashay to Target and get a nice pyrex dish that is one quater the price. And don't get me started on Crapperware. ;)

Amy! LOL! :D

Dawn, I might regret this, but have you considered joining <gulp> your local Republican committee? You're so passionate about it & political parties always need volunteers to fundraise, make calls, deliver yard signs, GOTV, etc. etc, esp. at the grassroots level. If extra income isn't your primary motivation, volunteering will give you plenty of flexibility, not to mention you'll meet a lot of people who share your interests. Just a thought. :)

Now please excuse me so I can be soundly kicked in the butt by a New Jersey donkey.

The home party business always sounds great, but is much more difficult than most people originally realize. I sold Home & Garden Party for several years, but never made enough at it to be able to quit my part time job. My sister tried Body Shop at Home and several friends have done candles, etc.

Things go really well in the beginning - buy your "kit" and get all your friends and family to have parties. Once you have done those parties, it's tough to get more bookings, thus continuing your business.

Good luck if you choose to try it, though.

Sherry

Hi there,

I've been around a few different types of direct sales businesses. It seems to me that it would be easier to run a successful business if you sell products that people will use up and buy again---vitamins, makeup, home care products, etc. That way you are not bugging people to buy another sweater, another candle or another necklace when they weren't planning to buy those things.

I know there are a few leaders in the industry, and having done my homework, it seems to me that the Amway Global business is the best bet-simply because they have so much variety in products (much of which are consumables), they've been around for so long, and they are pretty price competitive with similar products. I know some people have had bad experiences with Amway sales people, but the corporation itself is great. I buy alot of their stuff and really like it. And if I don't like something, I can return it (free return shipping too). Their customer service at the corporation is great. And I can only speak for the sales reps that I've had contact with--and I personally love them! They have become very close friends of ours.

Also something to think about....many of these direct sales companies don't do much training. They leave it up to a line of sponsorship or group of people who have an interest in helping you succeed. Who you sign up with is very important and can dramatically effect the experience you have and your ability to succeed. Some people are attracted to these types of businesses because they think it will be easy or quick. They don't necessarily treat others with respect or concern and they are the ones that cause all the bad tastes in other people's mouths for this type of business.

That's my two cents. =)

Alison

AMEN to this!

I refuse to go to any of these type "parties". I don't care who is giving them. They are a way to pawn off cheap, over priced junk and I am not participating!

My worst experience so far (and the one that cured me) was buying an ice cream scoop from Pampered Chef for about $25. I saw the exact same scoop in Wal-Mart shortly thereafter for $5. 'Nuff said!

Last edited:
I'm a consultant for Celebrating Home (used to be Home and Garden Party and Home Interiors, then merged) and do NOT do home shows...BLECH!!! I agree with the statements from prior posters on that count...

I do fundraisers for youth groups, school groups, boy/girl scouts, 4H clubs, etc...Right now I have fundraisers going from California to Minnesota. When we opened our 2nd sporting goods store, it was a no-brainer since I was dealing with coaches all day anyway...I already knew how to talk to that "group" and know the funding struggles they go through...

Just a different view on the industry. While I would not suggest re-inventing the wheel with this business (the basic business plans are all the same, it's the product that's different), you can "tweak" it to fit your needs and the needs of your family...I hold a meeting once a month for women in network marketing in my area (not just my business, but other companies as well). Find one and attend. The gal that mentors me is not even with my company...

MJ

My worst experience so far (and the one that cured me) was buying an ice cream scoop from Pampered Chef for about $25. I saw the exact same scoop in Wal-Mart shortly thereafter for $5. 'Nuff said!

For me it was paying for over priced Party Lite stuff and then going to Bed Bath and Beyond and finding nicer things at a fraction of the cost. I went to a Silpada party and was amazed at the prices ($100+) for what really appears to be costume jewelry. While the necklaces and such may have been made of sterling silver it still had the look of the costume jewelry that I have purchased at Maurice's dirt cheap. I've gotten many compliments on my Maurice's finds.

Thank you everyone for the good chuckles and responses!!! "Crapperware" - classic!

I think I am going to take a pass on this. I tried to sell houses and it's kind of the same thing when dealing with family and friends. I personally said I would never go into sales again after that. I feel that people really won't pay for expensive jewelry in this economy except for the occasional professional female or the wife of the doctor, lawyer, etc. . . you get the picture.

Laura - your suggestion is funny 'gulp' coming from you!! Remember where we were a year ago??? I hope the donkey didn't boot you - at least not too hard.

When people (schools/churchs) find out your a SAHM - the phone rings off the hook asking for volunteer work. It is amazing. I currently am on the board for the high school athletic association and the only one who is not working right now so several things I have been asked to take over with the usual "well your not working" comment. I would like to tell them that I do not sit on my arse all day either . . . I also help out with the youth football program (that will take up this entire Saturday). What the past couple of years has shown me is that volunteering by parents is WAY down!! The same people working the same things over and over while the others sit on their collective rear ends. Things are going to change in that regard. Next year we are instituting a pay up front policy at the youth level and this may transcend into the high school level. You pay a fee, you sign up and work and you get the fee back. OR you work or you child sits out a game. Unfortunate that we have to force the hands. And I live in an middle-upper middle class bedroom community. It's very sad.

I also volunteer for the county Republican office and in particular our state rep. who is also a friend.

I had a job at a health club but had to leave indefinitely to take care of my dying father. When I returned there was an opening but they decided to fill it with the parent of an employee - ah nepotism and cronism will get you every time.

Thanks again girls . . as always I can count on this place for heart felt thought and laughs!

Do you still have your real estate license? If you do, you could do pricing opinions for banks (BPOs). That's what I do these days. It lets me work from home and I can take as much or as little work as I want to. With a little planning I can also schedule around my kids' tennis tournaments and soccer games.

I would think that the housing market in MI is pretty much in the toilet so there should be plenty of work. Just a thought.

AMEN to this!

I refuse to go to any of these type "parties". I don't care who is giving them. They are a way to pawn off cheap, over priced junk and I am not participating!

Another AMEN! I am the black sheep in the family on my husband's side because I refuse to go to either one of my sister in-laws' parties or buy anything from them. They know better to invite me now, but they're still bitter. lol

Reminds me of something that happened several years ago. It was shortly after my ex and I split up and I was feeling very lonely and depressed. A female acquaintance invited me over to her house on a Friday night for a weekender party. Well I showed up all excited to be going to a party and the chance to meet new people. Well...it was a clothing sales thingy. I had never heard of Weekender Wear before and I was so p*ssed off I could hardly speak:mad:. I thought I had been conned, but I guess she wasn't lying; after all, it was a Weekender Party. Now I make sure to ask questions before I accept any invitations to any home parties.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.