Holy Cow! Eric born a month early!

Jennifer V

Cathlete
Saturday I had my baby shower, and to our great surprise the following day my water broke as I sat down in the passenger seat of our car. What a rush! Of course, my husband freaks, and we went home to gather a few things and make a couple of phone calls.

I was admitted at the hospital around 11:45 a.m., and just waited around for the contractions to begin. They never came! By 5 p.m. I only had a couple of mild cramping, but nothing else. The baby was in breech position, and so the doctor said the safest bet was a C-section.

The epidural was okay (I thought the IV needle in my hand to be more painful), and everyone at surgery were in good spirits and talked my husband and I through the whole process. The freeze extended to my chest and I felt tingling in my hands during the surgery. The actual delivering time only took 5 minutes (so fast!) and little Eric William was born on March 19, 2005 at 6 lbs 3 oz and 20 inches long, and at what I believed to be 36 weeks gestational age. The hospital pediatrician believes our baby is 37 weeks, by his reflexes, neck strength, and whatever. I only estimated anyway!

The C-section wasn't scary or painful for me. In recovery it took me 4 hours to thaw out. During that time I was covered in blankets and had warm air blowing into the blankets to help my body with the shock of delivering. What scared me and shocked me was that my body started to shake uncontrollably from shock, and there was nothing I could do about it! I was the only patient in the recovery room at the time, but the nurses and doctors never left me alone and were very kind and upbeat, answering to all my concerns. I was very groggy, and spent a lot of the time sleeping while my husband got to show off our bundle of joy to family waiting outside. Our parents were there, and I think it was hard for them to see me through surgery.

Once thawed our Eric was able to stay with us in the hospital room, and we stayed from Sunday until Friday. The nurses were amazing with their help to guide me through breastfeeding and healing. Unfortunately, Eric wasn't able to latch on and suck properly (and he still can't figure it out!) Right now we practice for 10 -15 minutes at each feed, and then he's fed my expressed breastmilk from a pump. He's done it a couple of times, so we're hoping he'll eventually get the hang of it.

The first night home went well, and mu husband and I felt much more relaxed about our new routine now that we were home. I've got my Mom staying with us over the week-end to help us get settled, and it's really helped. We still needed to buy some baby stuff!

Thanks for all your support everyone, and I look forward to talking to everyone about the post-partum process!

Jennifer V.

Wow Jennifer! A month early? You were do in April I suppose? Congrats on your healthy bouncing baby boy! That's WONDERFUL news! Glad to hear you, your DH and your little one are doing well! I wish you all the best and please try to check in with us when you can!!! :)

Take it easy! You have a major surgery to recover from, girl!

Wendy

Congratulations Jennifer!!! I was so surprised to read your post today, and then had to laugh because I really shouldn't have been surprised. You and Jaypea have so much in common (I've had a hard time keeping you each apart), that it really seemed fitting that you both had similar birth experiences! I hope you recover quickly from the surgery, and that Eric will catch on to that nursing business really soon. I understand that early babies just haven't refined the sucking reflex as well, which can make nursing difficult at the start. But then, nursing is always difficult at the start, regardless of the baby's age, IMO. Stay with it! You will be glad you did!

Thanks for telling us about your birth experience! Take care!
Sandra

Congratulations Jennifer! It's an amazing experience, isn't is? Enjoy your precious new bundle of joy.

Diana
Nora born 8/23/04

Wow! A month early! At the rate my aches and pains are increasing, delivering a month early sounds nice. Congratulations and enjoy the baby!

imani

Jennifer congrats on your little boy! Boy 4 weeks early delivery sure is surprising. A lot of mom's would have a hard time just going with the flow, and the baby's timing. It looks like you took it all in stride. Don't worry about the nursing it all works out, promise! Now get some sleep while you can! :)

Congratulations! That is terrific news and even surprising that the baby was able to go home. He must be doing very well. Most of the hospitals here will keep the baby at the hospital until their due date. What great news! You and jaypea have brightened my morning.

Try to sleep when you can.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.