Hips Popping

jldx2in2000

Cathlete
This morning I did the leg drills from Kick Max for the first time (ouch :eek:) and noticed during the last drill (front kicks) my hips would pop. They didn't hurt or really make a loud noise that I think someone else would hear but I could feel them popping.

This has happened to me before in other exercises like supine lying leg lifts (when you are on your back and lift both straight legs up and back down to work the lower abs) and the side-lying jacknife move in Muscle Max.

Since it doesn't hurt, I haven't stopped doing the exercises but am wondering if there is something I can do to make the popping stop.

Any advice is appreciated!

I've had this problem since I was a teenager. I've had it diagnosed as "snapping hip syndrome." It's basically the tendons in the join kind of sticking for a moment as they stretch over the joint, then they pop over, hence the snapping sound. Mine is pretty bad, although not painful. I would check in with your doctor however to get a proper diagnosis and get it on the record, as I've heard it can develop into a more serious condition over time.

Yes, I've had this for many years, but have never asked a doctor about it. It happens to me mostly doing supine leg lifts one leg at a time. Usually I can get it to stop by just moving my leg a little bit left or right, or "turning" it inward a bit.

It's good to have a name for it though, NY25.

Thanks for the responses!

I looked up "snapping hip syndrome" on WebMd and it said as long as there isn't pain associated with the popping, then there is not much reason to be too concerned.

I think I will just keep doing what I have been doing since it doesn't happen all the time (or even once a week) and if I start to notice any pain or discomfort, go to the doctor.

Thanks!

THat's exactly what my doctor told me. It only happens on one side for some reason but he asked if it caused any pain and when I said no, he told me it was nothing to worry about.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.