HIIT or steady state cardio in the evening?

any92

Hi, Cathletes ;)
Can you give me an advice, please? It is better to do HIIT or steady-state cardio when I have to workout in the evening and it is my cardio day? What are advantages and disadvantages of doing HIIT/steady-state in the morning/evening? ;)
Thanks a lot.
Anna

This article may help. It basically gives the pros and cons of Hiit and Steady State, then you make your own decision. Based on what works for you and your life. It doesn't really talk about morning or evening, but again, that's your decision.
https://www.cellucor.com/blog/cardio-throwdown-steady-state-vs-hiit

Here's another article to throw in the mix:

https://experiencelife.com/article/steady-state-cardio-vs-high-intensity-interval-training/

and an article from Cathe:

http://cathe.com/which-is-better-for-weight-loss-hiit-tabata-or-steady-state-cardio

Last edited:
Hi, Cathletes ;)
Can you give me an advice, please? It is better to do HIIT or steady-state cardio when I have to workout in the evening and it is my cardio day? What are advantages and disadvantages of doing HIIT/steady-state in the morning/evening? ;)
Thanks a lot.
Anna

Hi,

As the article concluded, do both if you can. You will also need to choose according to your goal.
True Hiit is brutal and too demanding on your body. Doing more than 3x per week is not a healthy option.
In fact is not recommended. Keep high impact frequency to 3xper week. Short Hiit to max 3o minutes is enough.
All the very best:);)

Last edited:
This article may help. It basically gives the pros and cons of Hiit and Steady State, then you make your own decision. Based on what works for you and your life. It doesn't really talk about morning or evening, but again, that's your decision.
https://www.cellucor.com/blog/cardio-throwdown-steady-state-vs-hiit

Here's another article to throw in the mix:

https://experiencelife.com/article/steady-state-cardio-vs-high-intensity-interval-training/

and an article from Cathe:

http://cathe.com/which-is-better-for-weight-loss-hiit-tabata-or-steady-state-cardio

I liked the first article a lot. I agree with the conclusions: do the cardio, types, frequency and intensity that you enjoy, can sustain and that pushes you that little bit each week to make the best version of you and to be happy, with boundless energy. In comparison to the author's preferred cardio, for me that would be lots of walking, some steady state step, metabolic workouts and one HiiT session per week. But, that's me. You figure out what you like and what suits your body and also your brain. I never underestimate that: my body might benefit from 3 * HiiT per week, but it would cut into my walking time and the walking time helps with my mental health.

How about you? What do you need and prefer? What do you need to function optimally? Also, how much time do you have? A short 30 HiiT session may be all you have time for one day, and on another day, you can luxuriate in a 60 min step session with Cathe. You decide.

I do disagree with this author on one point however, as do sports physiologists. Running is no harder on the joints than those 3 sessions of high impact HiiT. The high impact of running is good for joints, it strengthens bones and reduces your risk of developing osteoarthritis. You can see just as many injuries with negligent and excessive participation in HiiT sessions as you can in long distance running. Where running leads to injury comes from a) running is movement along one plane and produces repetitive force on the same muscles/ligaments and tendons, b) muscle imbalances and areas of weakness in the muscular structures. If you have a weak area, say, the hips, other structures are forced to step in and do the work the hips should be doing, thus taxing these other structures (the ITB, the ligaments around the knee that affect patella tracking, the achilles tendon, for example) beyond their abilities. Voila, you get injured. Running gets negative press for high incidence of injury but it's not the sport per se that causes it, rather the repetitive motion. The same can be said of high impact HiiT.

As far as timing of these workouts is concerned, I am not sure what your concern is? Some say that high intensity exercise within an hour or two of bedtime can make it hard to fall asleep as the endorphin high makes you energetic rather than sleepy. Personally, I'm a night time person and my energy levels increase as the day goes on. Optimal time for cardio for me is anywhere from 5 pm to 2 am. Others can do HiiT at 5 am upon waking. Any cardio within 2 hours of waking would kill me!

Other than that, I don't know what your thoughts are with this question. Any more info you can give us?

Edited to add: that second article is PHENOMENAL. There's great information about how different types of cardio training affect the heart that I had not known. Thanks for posting!

Clare

Last edited:
Based on what works for you and your life.
You will also need to choose according to your goal.

do the cardio, types, frequency and intensity that you enjoy, can sustain and that pushes you that little bit each week to make the best version of you and to be happy, with boundless energy.

All THIS! :)

and Clare, I think you are my Cardio twin! Working out after 5:30, walking for mental health & I cannot do more than 2 Hiits per week. I was doing Millionaire Hoy's workouts, which are excellent and motivating by the way, but it just wears me out for other activities that I like. And it makes me so, so hungry. I do not like eating heavily before bed, so I would not be able to do this type of cardio very late.

What are advantages and disadvantages of doing HIIT/steady-state in the morning/evening?

Anna,

Cardio in the evening can keep you awake till too late:););). It is not my preferred time slot as it has
interfered with my sleep! i love my cardio fasted early in the morning. It gives me energy. I am able to achieve that
cause I aim for a balanced lifestyle and make sure I sleep 7-9 hours depending on how busy I am. You will need to try and go from how your body respond.

Should there be no reason for not doing your cardio in the morning, I suggest you do it then:). Otherwise do it when you can.
Sleep, sleep and sleep is important for your health:):)

If you enjoy step, carry on doing it for no more than 3x time per week. Enjoy a variety in your cardio training.
Treadmill, running, stepping, martial art based cardio drill, swimming, Plyometric drills etc...
There is no study no evidence step causes significant injuries, in comparison to EXCESSIVE :):)running.

As per studies, Hiit does better:
  • help in getting fit quicker than steady pace Vo2 max
  • Does not interfere with muscle building. it does not catabolise muscles.
  • With a clean nutrition it does help in reducing visceral fat
  • Appetite suppressant effect. not that much though IMO
All the very best;)

Cardio in the evening can keep you awake till too late:););). It is not my preferred time slot as it has
interfered with my sleep!

I'm the opposite and probably in the minority. I sleep like a rock if I do a cardio workout in the evening. I've heard others say they don't sleep well if they workout at night, so I'm guessing that this is true for most people. I would definitely try an evening cardio session or two, Anna, to see how your body responds to late night cardio (better than late night TV). If you can sleep well, then it might be the time of day to squeeze in your cardio sessions.

And Nathalie is 100% on target. Sleep, sleep, sleep IS important to your health.

Bottom line - play around to find what works best for you.

As per studies, Hiit does better:
  • help in getting fit quicker than steady pace Vo2 max
  • Does not interfere with muscle building. it does not catabolise muscles.
  • With a clean nutrition it does help in reducing visceral fat
  • Appetite suppressant effect. not that much though IMO

To add to long list of Hiit, here is another benefit. Hiit is not a fad! It existed when long steady pace was reigning
supreme. Studies for Hiit were not conducted then;)

http://cathe.com/surprise-hiit-training-is-good-for-your-liver-too

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.