High Step, 14 or 12 inches?

UNLVCrjChick

Cathlete
Hello everyone,

I just did the shortened Legs and Glutes section of the Timesaver dvd today for the first time and I used the FIRM's fanny lifter in place of the high step. However, with the fanny lifter being 14 inches in height, I found that my knees are bothering me and the speed with which Cathe does the reps for the leg press was just too much for me at this height. I am 5'4" and over 200 lbs by the way.

Should I buy the high step and just use the 4 purple risers that came with my Club step, making the total height 12 inches? Is the workout as effective at that height?

I dread doing this workout again solely because of that exercise. I also have extreme trouble with the glute and outer thigh sweeps, and the one where Cathe puts one leg on the step and lifts the other one straight up in the air while in a supine position (the one that works the hamstrings). Does anyone have any ideas for modifications for these two moves? I really need to get this weight off and I feel so bad that I had trouble making it all of the way through the shortened version. Timesaver #4 also kicked my rear, and it was mostly low impact. It's a shame that I have trouble with Cathe's tapes because I find other easier tapes boring (i.e. the FIRM and Walk Away the Pounds).

Sherry

I do like that shortened version of Legs & Glutes on Timesaver. Do you have a lower step besides the Firm fanny lifter? I use a step box my hubby made yrs ago it is 10 inches by 14 inches. I use the 10 when I do this Timesaver workout or Legs & Glutes. I am also 5'4". You could also just do the moves slower and not as many reps. Cathe's tapes can be very difficult, so start slowly an ease into them maybe alternating with the other tapes you mentioned. Be careful not to do anything that hurts your knees, and if they hurt give them a rest day or two....:)...Carole

Hi there Carole,

I do not have a lower step besides the fanny lifter. I was able to do most of the reps that Cathe did but not without EXTREME difficulty....and this was only holding one 5 lb dumbbell. For some strange reason, I feel like I am cheating if I do not do all (most) of the reps. It is so bad that I almost feel like a failure when I can't complete the exercise, strength or cardio, even with modifications (any hi/lo section kills me, for example, and I don't like having to modify). This is why I am tempted to get the high step so I can adjust it to 12 inches and then, hopefully, I would be able to do complete all of the reps. Do the purple risers work just fine for the gray topper of the high step, or will it be too unstable as opposed to the gray risers?

Again, thanks for so quickly responding!

Sherry :)

Hi Sherry ,
Well all I can say is I wouldn't even attempt those excercises on a 14 inch step. Don't feel like you are cheating...not everyone can keep up with Cathe! And many of us modify at different times and especially with new workouts. Maybe it would be a good idea for you to get the high step then. I don't have one, I just have another assortment of steps that I modify with. I think you are doing great...:)...Carole

Your purple risers will work fine with the topper. Don't feel bad if you can't complete all the reps. Try being not so hard on yourself and use it as an opportunity to make some goals to reach in the future. If you did everything perfectly the first time, you'd never get that great feeling of accomplishment that comes with doing something that you've been working hard for.

Hello Sherry! Doesn't the Fanny Lifter have two parts, and you can take off the top half? If it is the original one, than that is different. I am thinking of the purple/blue version.

I am no expert, but I know Cathe stresses constantly "good form". In my mind that is way more important than step height, weight held/lifted, or even reps. You will be amazed at how you progress if you slow it down and lighten it up. If you have good form you will be working the muscles correctly, and they will get stonger. I imagine it is better to do less but do it well, than to push yourself beyond what you should and be sloppy about it, risking getting hurt and having to stop all together.

I LOVE my High Step! You can mix up the risers however you need to, and I use it to raise my long step to a better bench height. It saves precious space too because all the risers stack toghether and I don't have a separate Fanny Lifter sitting next to my step. That is one purchase I will never regret!

Hang in there!
Dani:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.