Hey Pilates fans ... help me understand ...

Debinmi

Cathlete
Pilate peeps ... what is the difference in use of a 4 inch Pilates ball versus a 9 inch ball like Cathe sells (she calls hers a yoga ball)? Is the 4 inch weighted? There's also a 6 inch ball... what's the need for the various sizes? What should I look for in a "Pilates ball"? TIA :)

what is the difference in use of a 4 inch Pilates ball versus a 9 inch ball like Cathe sells (she calls hers a yoga ball)?
The yoga ball, or mini ball, is usually unweighted and used as you've seen Cathe use it. I believe the 6-inch ball you referred to is just a smaller version of the 9-inch. The smaller balls are usually toning balls and are weighted between 1-4 pounds. These are used similarly to light dumbbells and can add arm toning and increase the overall intensity. Exercises are normally high rep with lots of pulses.

At the studio I go to there are lots of different diameter balls at various levels of inflation depending on what exercise you are doing and how big the person is. Smaller balls, like the 6-inch would be used between the legs to activate the inner thighs but also to keep the legs aligned with the hips. A larger ball may not allow alignment with the hips in a smaller person. Larger balls can be used behind the back for ab work. Using a smaller ball behind the back increases the intensity of the ab work.

Hope this helps answer your question. :)

Thanks! That was helpful! :) So I could probably be able to sub a small dumbell for the weighted one. I have 9 inch "exercise balls" which looks likes Cathe's 9 inch ball. I wasn't sure what a 6 inch would be used for... your explanation makes sense!

All the exercises I've seen that use weighted toning balls, you hold them in your hands, so you could use any type of small hand weight. I have 4lb weighted toning balls, but these are usually too heavy for me for most exercises. I often use either 0.5kg wrist weights (approx. 1.1lb) which I hold in my hands, or, if I can go heavier, I use 1kg dumbbells (approx. 2.2lb). I have three 9-inch balls but only one is fully inflated. One is slightly less, and the other one is about 3/4 inflated.

All the exercises I've seen that use weighted toning balls, you hold them in your hands, so you could use any type of small hand weight. I have 4lb weighted toning balls, but these are usually too heavy for me for most exercises. I often use either 0.5kg wrist weights (approx. 1.1lb) which I hold in my hands, or, if I can go heavier, I use 1kg dumbbells (approx. 2.2lb). I have three 9-inch balls but only one is fully inflated. One is slightly less, and the other one is about 3/4 inflated.
Thanks for the clarification on the weighted balls. I have arthritis in my thumb joint so I sometimes have grip issues so I'm glad I can sub small hand weights - will be easier for me to hold. Interesting use of the 9 inch balls- we have 2 so I may deflate one a bit too. Thanks! :)

I have balls, all sizes! Actually I am ball crazy. In the soft balls, I have one about the
size of a basketball (Physique), and a couple of Cathe’s & a Margaret Richard Body
Electric ball which is the size of Cathe’s, and a few more, from Weight Watchers, the
Firm…..my little toning balls are 1lb, then I have another set from Power Systems which
are 1lb with straps for the hands, The Firm sculpting balls that are 2lbs with straps, &
Leslie’s Walk Away the Pounds balls that are 2lbs. Then med balls & stability balls,
a ball for every occasion!!!:)

Actually I am ball crazy.
I have my stability ball and a 3kg medicine ball. I also have some tennis balls and spiky balls for massaging. I have 2 large storage bins with all my props, including the balls, yoga blocks and straps, Pilates rings, various massagers, resistance bands and tubing, a balance disc and a wobble board. They certainly make my workouts more interesting and fun. :D

With my 9-inch balls, I find the slightly deflated ball is easier to hold onto and less likely to slip out from under me when it's behind my back. The 3/4 deflated ball I like to use between my legs for inner thigh activation and I also use that one for the Killer Legs Barre bonus. The fully inflated one is better for stability work like being on all 4s and putting one hand on the ball, then moving the opposite leg. Being fully inflated makes the exercise harder.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.