Help with paint color

jgarr44460

Cathlete
OK, my sons are almost all out of the house and we are turning a bedroom into an exercise room. The idea is that all three of our sons (when home), my DH and I will be using this room and I cannot come up with a color for the walls. I tried a sage green but it is too "soothing". I need a color suggestion that is energizing without being over the top. It can't be too girly either for obvious reasons. I have spent too much $ on paint I won't use. Anyone have any ideas? The men in my house wouldn't care if I left it white or painted it black. They are no help.

I really want to paint my exercise room an orange sherbert color! I haven' gotten up the nerve to tackle it yet, but I think it would be an energizing yet soothing color and not too overpowering!!

A while back I think it was Gayle (banslug) who posted some pictures of a room she painted. I cannot be sure I am correct about this but that color is the same as my laundry room and used to be in our family room at our last house. It is great! It is like a subdued burnt orangish/yellow. Sorta?!? :p

Best of luck!

Mary

Oh, Mary! YOU ARE GOOD! Yes, that was me with the color you described! I absolutely LOVE it. It's our front living room and I get so many comments on it. The only thing that I will say is that when the sun is out and comes in the room, it's so ALIVE and full of spirit. And when it's cloudy or overcast outside, with the light on, it's still comforting and bright enough. Here's what it looks like:

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL838/3209485/17823334/283842764.jpg

OH! I LOVE bold colors in my house. Here's my dining room, which I just painted this winter (note, the chair rail is not up yet, I'm waiting for 'funds'! LOL):

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL838/3209485/17823334/312884914.jpg

Gayle

I am with the orange sherbert. I have a yellow in our basement I love it it reminds me of the sun shining down there.

Look at the little bit of red in beautiful souls picturetrail workout area.

Hope you don't mind Adina.
beth6395

"You didn't pause your dvd and go make popcorn did ya"
-Cathe Friedrich

http://www.picturetrail.com/juicyfruities2002

Fan of the orange. It's hard to find a bright color that is still soft enough that it's not NEON. I have that kind of light, yet vibrant orangein my kitchen as well as in my boyfriend's two spare rooms in his house. My bedroom is bright red and we did HIS bedroom at his house a bright green (again still, it's not neon).
MUCH better than the beiges' and ivorys!!

Gayle! Glad you came to my rescue and posted your pics! I love the orange color (of course, as it is in my house too! ;) ) and I love your other room w/the blue/green. I love the bold colors too!

Have a great weekend!

Mary

I still haven't painted many of the rooms in my big old four square and though I am very happy with my downstairs choices (bluish-purple in the foyer, orangy-yellow in the living room, and a bright, modern green {with yellow undertones} in the kitchen) I am CRAZY about the color of my formal dining room. I had meant to do it in a kind of burnt orange and I had a whole mess of colors I played with. Then I was looking at the Behr paint samples at Home Depot one day and was struck by a color called JUICY PASSIONFRUIT. I describe it to people as a sort of HOT BRIGHT CORAL. Up against the shiny white woodwork in my 1910 house IT IS DIVINE. That room feels absolutely storybook yet wildly modern at the same time - and I fall in love with it every time I enter it. It positively VIBRATES WITH JOY. All winter I kept thinking how warm and lovely. I can actually FEEL my mood lift when I see that room. It's the color because, otherwise, it's a train wreck in there (I'm using it as a weight room until I get my actual weight room up and running). Like I said, I love all the downstairs rooms but there's something very special about my dining room walls. It's a color like no other. Check it out. When you see the paint sample you'll say "That b*tch is crazy" but it really is gorgeous :) :). Sometimes it pays to be brave.

I am a fan of greens and blues, so I would suggest a light or medium aqua or even turquoise. We painted our kids' bathroom a bright aqua and it looks colorful and upbeat. You could choose a subdued shade if you don't want to go too bold in the room. Just my opinion, but I never get tired of looking at blues and greens. Have fun choosing!

Thanks everyone - I have a few color families I am going to look at from your suggestions. Something in the orange/tangerine range and something in the aqua/teal range. Two I would never have come up with on my own but I am excited about looking at paint chips again!

I love hearing all your colors! I love bold too! My back living room wall is a deep maroon as well as the half-wall separating the kitchen/nook from that back living room...the side walls are a neutral tan.

Now, for my boys' rooms....my older DS' room is painted in Dallas Cowboys colors, and my younger DS' room is in Philadelphia Eagles colors. I'll have to take photos of those this weekend and post them!

Thank for sharing your HOMES, folks!

Gayle

Get yourself a color wheel and go from there. You'll be able to pick exactly what you like. Try to use colors that go well together.

Have fun! I love using colors in my home as well.

Janie

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif
[/url]
The idea is to die young as late as possible.

Funny - I just watched that HGTV show yesterday afternoon - it came out wonderful.

I think the yellow/orange colors would be more motivating and energetic, blue/greens are more soothing and tranquil. Just think sun vs ocean.

I'm a California girl through and through, and though I love the beach for it's soothing properties, give me sunshine and it gets me moving . . .

Have fun !

I went out yesterday and have many paint samples. The one SironSongWoman suggested - Juicy PassionFruit is especially nice. What a beautiful orange/coral color. I am also looking at an ocean blue that reminds of Grand Cayman - called Julep. I'm going to let them hang in the room to see the colors at different times of the day before I decide. The two colors actually go well together.
Hmmmm.....

If you go to Benjamin Moore or Behr's websites, there are tools out there that allow you to play with different colors in different rooms (you can even upload your own, if you'd like) to get an idea of what you'd be looking at.

I found it very helpful, as we just moved into a new place and had it painted from top to bottom!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back