Help with Canning Salsa problem

sharid

Cathlete
On Friday some friends and I got together and canned six batches of salsa. The next morning I realized that we had left the lemon juice out of one batch, because I had some juice left over and shouldn't have becaues I had gotten just enough for 6 batches. The batches are all mixed up so I have no idea which jars are missing the lemon juice. We cold packed the jars and water bath canned them for 30 minutes. Will the salsa be safe to eat? I am concerend because I have heard that if you don't add lemon juice for acidity, you can get botchulism. Help! I don't know what to do!

I have been canning salsa for over 15 and i have never added lenom juice...you should be good.!

Thank you for that reply! Almost everything I read on-line said that you have to add it to be safe....I did find a couple of posts where people said they didn't ever use lemon juice. It is good to hear that you never add it and you are fine! I guess vinegar does the same thing, but I didn't put either in and was just sick about it! I will stop worrying and enjoy my salsa. It tastes wonderful, so I would hate to have to throw it out (it was a ton of work too!) :)

though I have never canned tomatoes, I have done applesauce, pickles and jam (of course:)) over the last 20 years and I would think that the tomatoes have such a high acid content as it is, plus the fact that you hot-bathed them...you should probably be ok.

what I have read is that botulism is generally from low-acid foods like green beans and meat, because they have no acid to kill the bacteria.

I just heat the lid with the rubber ring and then band the jars. I put the salsa into cold jars. lid them, then turn upside down for 5 minutes and turn upright. I don't heat process them at all. I have a good recipe for sweet chili salsa if you would like it!

I just heat the lid with the rubber ring and then band the jars. I put the salsa into cold jars. lid them, then turn upside down for 5 minutes and turn upright. I don't heat process them at all. I have a good recipe for sweet chili salsa if you would like it!

I would LOVE your recipe!!

So you don't have vinegar or lemon juice in this recipe, and you don't heat process them? If this is the case, then I really feel better....my mother-in-law had me really worried!

I would LOVE your recipe!!

Here it is:
7C. peeled/chopped tomatoes
5 peppers chopped(I use sweet banana, hungarian wax, any sweet pepper)
6 pepperoncini peppers chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 bottle chili sauce
2 cans black beans rinsed
large onion chopped
1C. brown sugar
I heat everything in large pot, bring to just a boil and turn down heat and simmer 15-20 minutes. I put into cold jars, heat lid with rubber ring tighten band and turn upside down for 5 minutes. turn upright and allow to cool. Enjoy!!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.