HELP! Question for Treadmill Users

LisaG

Cathlete
Sorry for the long post but I'm having a dilemma...

I have been using the treadmill at my gym approximately 4 times per week usually doing an interval program of 2-4 minutes jogging/running alternating with 2 minutes walking on an incline. I have been on this program for several months and have steadily been able to increase my speed on the running intervals to 7-7.5 mph. I felt very strong and fit.....

That is until recently....all of a sudden I can almost no longer even jog (at 5.5-6 mph) on the treadmill without feeling like I am going to literally fall off the treadmill. It almost feels like the treadmill is tilting laterally (even though it obviously isn't). It's kind of a feeling of vertigo.

The only thing I can possible attribute this to is that about two weeks ago I had an inner ear disturbance (commonly known as airplane ear---kind of like nasal congestion but instead it is ear congestion or fullness that doesn't "pop" or go way---in my case it stayed for about two weeks). Anyway, this has since cleared up and the funny thing is when my ear was actively "congested" I was running just fine on the treadmill...but not anymore...

Anyway, I am very upset because my running/jogging on the treadmill gave me a great sense of accomplishment and was a great complement to my Cathe fitness program and now I can no longer safely do it

Please...any suggestions, ideas, comments would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Lisa

Hi Lisa! I think you need to see your doctor about this. Maybe your inner ear problem feels like it has cleared, but really hasn't. In the mean time, I would take a break from working out until you feel normal again. :)

Carolyn

I've got something similar: I can run on the treadmill no problem... but when I do that incline walk, I have to hold onto the rails or else I get a very unsteady feeling. With me, I don't think is has anything to do with inner ear... I think it's just my sense of the limited space on the belt is magnified during the incline walk. But since you've recently had an ear problem, I would have your ears checked out again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.