heel pain

I never had this but it won't go away. I was walking 5 miles a day then my MD said that's to much and I went cold turkey and stopped streching. Now I have heel pain next to my arch. Anyone suggestions?

You'll probably get lots of replies, but to start off, Google "plantar fasciitis," and see if the description fits your pain. I've dealt with this, and found that lots of lots of stretching plus shoes with good support were the key, but it can take time to see real improvement. Ice and ibuprofen help, too. Good stretches for me included the "heel hang" off a step, and a calf stretch with hands on a wall, leg stretched behind.

Good luck!
Allison

Check out "plantar fasciitis" since one of the main symptoms is heel pain.

WTH did your doc say walking 5 miles/day was too much?!? hope there was a good reason...

Definitely at least keep up the stretching!!! There should be loads of stretches you can find if you think it is plantar fasciitis. Good luck!!!

17.gif

I had PF and it takes some time to get over. I would see a podiatrist and stretch stretch stretch. This website had a lot of good info on it for me. www.heelpain.com

Sounds like PF to me also. I am dealing with it and have had to modify a few things.
First, I now do all aerobics in good running shoes, the crosstrainers just don't have enough heel support. Second, I have great Spenco orthotic inserts that have made a huge difference. Third and probably most important, I do most of my higher impact stuff on a rebounder.
The heel hang stretch is the best imo, and I have to stretch my heels out before I get out of bed in the morning.
This is something that will not go away unless you treat it. Best of luck to you.

If you think it's PF, go to the Podiatrist ! ! ! I had PF and spent 8 weeks reading on the internet different things to try. Turns out, I was making things worse. I was over stretching the tendon and this was not a good thing. My podiatrist did not recommend the heel hang stretch. He said it was too much for me (I have very tight calf muscles and it's all connected). The doctor can check for sure if it is PF and then give you a stretching boot to wear at night and recommend the right inserts. Don't mess around, it takes time to get over PF and you don't want to waste time doing the wrong thing.

I have plantar faciitis and will be dealing with it the rest of my life. It started as a dull ache. I went to a podiatrist and got custom orthotics and the problem seemed to go away. After about a year I felt I was "cured" and stopped wearing them. About six months later I got up from bed in the middle of the night and when I put my weight on my foot I jumped back in pain. I was sure I'd stepped on something sharp. I turned on the light, felt around the carpet... nothing. When I stood up again the sharp pain in my heel returned. I examined my foot... nothing. It was all inside of my heel. So I went to an orthopedic surgeon who told me I had pf and would be dealing with this chronic problem for the rest of my life. He also told me if I'd never stopped wearing my orthotics it wouldn't have become the big ordeal it now was. And brother, it IS an ordeal. Needless to say, I think you should get to an orthopedic surgeon now and do whatever he/she tells you, which will probably involved getting some custom orthotics. And once you have orthotics never go without them. It's the closest thing to a cure that exists.

I have had PF for a couple of years due to lots of running. It's not active right now, but it comes and goes.

I just work through it. I don't stop running or working out, but I make sure I have proper shoes and inserts. Superfeet inserts work great for me in my running shoes.

A few more tips: If you have hardwood or tile floors in your home, do not go barefoot. Buy some comfy slide on shoes (Naot, Merrell, etc.) and wear them as soon as you get out of bed. Also, your everyday shoes should be of good support and quality. I don't ever wear flat shoes anymore. I make sure they have good arch support.

The stretching is good as some above have recommended.

The truth is, this probably won't ever go away completely, but it's manageable. Good luck!

I totally agree with the poster who said never go without shoes. This is key for me. My podiatrist also said not to do the heel hang stretch. I would see a doc.

Sigh!

I am dealing with plantar fasciitis too.

My physioterapist recommended an orthotic to wear in my workout shoes and it helps a lot. It provides support for the heel and moderate support for the arch and light control from over-pronation when running. Doing the foot strengthening and stretches that he recommended is also very useful. Unfortunately, you cant stop the exercises when it gets better. I run out of motivation just as soon as I get better and then it gets worse again! It has been many, many months since the pain started and I still have it. Being difficult to get rid of is typical of plantar fasciitis.

Good luck to every one else who has it at Cathe Nation.

I totally agree with the poster who said never go without shoes. This is key for me. My podiatrist also said not to do the heel hang stretch. I would see a doc.

Yep, another PF sufferer. I had it while training for a marathon 2 yrs ago. I also went to the podiatrist who told me NEVER to go wear barefoot or wear flipflops which is what I lived in that summer!! I only wear tennis shoes, Crocs (the Mary Jane ones, much cuter than the other ones!), or other good shoes like my Born sandals. I change my running shoes every 300- 400 miles and wear a generic orthotic.

I was on a high dosage of Naproxen (Aleve) for about 6 weeks when it started, used ice (a frozen water bottle to massage the bottom of your feet works great!), and would use a big bouncy ball (or tennis ball) to roll all over the bottoms of my feet while sitting (I just left it by my computer chair).

I finally got rid of it after about 6 mos. Also, strengthening and stretching your calves/ achilles tendon will help also.

Good luck, it's a pain (literally) but you CAN get over it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.