Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

jansherman

Cathlete
Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced heart rate monitor that tracks calories burned during exercise? I have an old Polar, but it just gives my heart rate. I'd really like a more accurate way to assess how many calories I'm burning during my workouts, especially when using kettlebells and doing plyometrics.

Thanks!

My husband bought me the Polar F4 for Christmas. I think it was about $80. It has the chest strap. It indicates heart rate, calorie burn, minutes in your zone, etc. It's my first HRM and I'm pleased with it. Good luck!

Polar F6

I love my Polar F6--they are around $100. They are coded so they don't pick up any interference from other HRM. Mine has been accurate and reliable.

I use a Polar F7 and it does all that stuff that you mentioned wanting, and I got it for $105. I love it!!

I've had the Polar F11 (more features than I need), the F6, and currently have the F4. The F4 works fine, but I don't like the display nearly as much as the one on the F6 that has more info on one screen. I've ordered a new F6 because I want to start running again and it has the elapsed time shown along with the HR and kcal, which is what I like.

The F4 is usually easier to find than the others in places like Target and runs about $80-$90. The F6 for women I could only find in pink in places like Sports Authority, so I ordered it online. It's $109-$119, depending on where you buy it.

I got a Timex Ironman HRM strap & watch and I absolutely love it. The watch is small enough that I can use it as my regular digital watch and when I need the HRM, I just wear the chest strap. They don't make my model anymore, I think, because I could not find it available online, but my previous HRM was also a Timex and it still works (but the watch was too big for my wrist). They're pretty affordable, too.

I have a Polar F11 and love it. We tried the Suunto t3 too and preferred Polar's interface. I would suggest going to a place w/ a good return policy so if you don't like one, it isn't a problem to swap it out. We did that with our HRMs thru REI. Costco has HRMs and a decent return policy too.

Thank you all for your suggestions!! There is a Sports Authority, Dick's Sporting Goods, and and REI close by, so I'm going on a heart rate monitor shopping trip today.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.