healthy snacks

B

Belle

I wonder if you guys would like to share your 'healthy snacks' with me. After getting a wonderful reply from Cathe and Debra, on the ask cathe forum, I want to see if I can try to get my metabolism moving. I am trying to eat heathily every couple of hours, but I need suggestions on what to snack with.

Any ideas would be soo helpful, alos any recipies for whole foods to eat also, would be great.

Belle

Cheap and portable

.....are my watch-words. I try to combine some form of protein with complex carbs every time I eat, and it mainly takes some planning.

Tuna comes in little cans, and of course there's our old favorite....peanut butter. They make soups in individual containers, and you just add water. Dry cereal can be toted around in sandwich bags....I combine Wheaties with Fiber One or All Bran. Then there's chicken tenders, which is just breast meat cut into smaller strips....same stuff, just cheaper. Veggies and fruit are great, they just don't stay with you very long. That's why it's important to sneak in some form of protein. My all-time favorite cheap, filling, and healthy snack is OATMEAL, which comes in individual envelopes, and you can combine it with powdered milk. Also, baked beans come in little cans. We could go on and on.

Portable, cheap, and plan ahead. Those are the key words.

Plan, plan, plan, eat every 2-3 hours, and DON'T let yourself get hungry!!!

RE: Cheap and portable

thanks for your input, gosh you guys are so great!!!
Belle

I literally carry a "feed bag" around with me.

I had meant to respond to your metabolism post earlier...

but I found that the rules "eat early, eat often" have really boosted my metabolism (in addition to regular exercises of course. CTX sent it through the roof!)

The other thing that made a big difference is changing my workout time to the morning! Somehow, this seemed to shift my eating pattern to eating more earlier in the day, and less in the evening. I try not to eat much past 7 pm, but if I've eaten suffiently early in the day hunger is not a factor (we won't talk about boredom/snackiness, though!) but I often have my first meal after my morning workout, so I'm eating again by 6-6:30 .

Fruit, of course, comes in its own handy package. I also carry little cups of yogurt, bags of cereal, packets of oatmeal, sometimes an energy bar or granola bar. If I'm home one of my favorite snacks is homemade hummus or bean dip with whole wheat pita bread. A small handful of almonds (I dry toast them in a skillet). I know I eat other stuff than this but I can't think of them right now. :-hmmm Oh yeah...half a chicken sandwich. Some cheese and veggies wrapped in a tortilla. How could I forget - baby carrots and other raw veggies!

I think I eat every 2-3 hours. Some wise woman on this forum (Lex, I think) points out that you should look at your body's metabolism as a fire - throw a little fuel on it frequently and keep it burning, rather than letting it die down then heaving a big log on it. Makes sense to me!

It does take some getting used to and it will likely feel like you are eating more food than ever. And you might be - but chances are your body starts to use it and your metabolism will increase.

Good luck and take care,
Sophie

How true this is!!! I though back to the big log on the fire and I realised that with my attempts before to eat more was still 3 meals a day but bigger and of course my body was saying, " straight to the hips,please" as it was too much at one time. I amdefinatley going to try this for a while, but have you had a problem with metabolism also? If so, eating every 2-3 hours, how long was it before your metabolism kicked in? I know we are all different, but I guess i am just being nosey?????

thanks

Belle

RE: Snacks

I always carry an Ironman bar with me to work. Cookie dough is my favorite!! I has 16gr. of protein, 25gr. of carbs, and 7gr. of fat. They cost about a dollar(depending where you go) and they help me get in more protein. Another quick and healthy snack that i make when I'm at home is a protein shake. 1 cup of skim milk, 1/2 of a frozen banana, 1/2 Tbsp of peanut butter, and 3 Tbsp protein powder. Put them in a blender for about a min or two and you've got a great protein shake. It has 30gr of protein, 24 gr of carbs, and 4 gr of fat. Okey dokey, those are my snacks! Good Luck!!!

Aimee

Hi Sophie,
You said that CTX really helped you metabolism. What were you doing before you started CTX? Are you doing it as is, one tape 6 days a week? or are you doing two body parts a day so you strenth train each muscle group 2X a week ? or some other combo?

I should get my DVD today :-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpy . Unfortunatly my DVD player doesn't look like it'll make it until tomorrow or Monday :-mad :-mad :-mad :-mad :-mad . Oh well I'll get over it.

I'm excited to start my CTX series. I looking for some good rotations. I know I can look at the check-ins for that. Right now since I'm not familar with the series, it's hard to decipher some of the combos there.

Dawn W

Hi Dawn! - CTX rotation

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-00 AT 10:46PM (Est)[/font][p]Dawn, I did CTX for the month of October and first part of November. It was my first "real" rotation and I had never heard the word till I started reading this forum in August!

Previous to that I'd say my metabolism was okay anyway. I just found that when doing CTX I suddenly found myself needing at least 200 cals a day extra to keep from dropping weight that I didn't want to lose (and I lost a little anyway).

I think it was just the shake-up in routine and more cardio (also more intense cardio) that I'd been doing previously. I was doing typically doing weights 2-3 times a week and yoga or cardio the other days.

My initial plan was to do CTX as is, one body part per day but quickly realized that I needed to have "insurance" against missing a day (due to sick kids, etc ) and also give me a day for yoga class so I started doubling up body parts. So a sample week would be:

10-10-10 (includes triceps) plus chest from SNI
Kickbox (includes biceps) plus back from Power Circuit
Rest
Pump It (full body weights at the YWCA) plus SNI cardio
Yoga class plus All Step Cardio
Power Circuit plus shoulders
Rest

But of course it changed every week! Doubling up the body parts gave me a bit more flexibility in the schedule. Though sometimes I'd get "caught", for instance I never managed to fit Leaner Legs in that week (okay, I was also scared - after all everyone had dubbed it MEANER LEGS!)

I bet you're chomping at the bit to get your DVDs! You will most definately enjoy them especially with the added benefit of not having to rewind!

Sophie

Belle, I really didn't have a problem with my metabolism, just my lifestyle and eating habits :-rollen

I ate frequently enough - but most definately the wrong foods - chicken nuggets, brownies, tater tots. Fell into a bad pattern of convenience foods! Once I had that cleaned up and focused on good nutrition and portion control, as well as including focused exercise, I had pretty good cooperation from my metabolism.

Probably a good way to approach this is to look at the foods you eat throughout the day and figure out how you can split them into 3 meals and 2-3 mini-meals or snacks through the day. You may not want to eat MORE calories per day (I don't know, maybe you do!) but rather spread them out and distribute them more evenly throughout the day.

Arrgh - I could go into more detail but I have a squirmy toddler bugging me right now...will maybe try later if you like

Sophie

RE: Hi Dawn! - CTX rotation

Thanks Sophie,
Doubling up in case you miss a workout sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the reply.

I have a couple extra pounds I can offer you since you lost some of "your wanted" pounds. ;-). I wanted to lose 5lbs before the New Year. I don't see that happening though. I just holding my own. Although a cold and a heel problem has screwed up my workout schedule lately. Oh well, no big hurry. I suppose it'll come off eventually. At least I'm not gaining (I was 35lbs heavier 3 years ago).

Dawn W

For me, when I switched to eating smaller meals more often, it took a few weeks for my body to adjust. Then I noticed that my stomach was totally empty and growling for food even if it was just 3 hours since my last small meal. That was a good sign, meant my body was actually using what I ate. A huge part of the success of that was also from implementing food combining, which helps your body to digest food much more efficiently. That alone forever eliminated problems I had intestinally, such as; heartburn, bloating after meals, gas and belching. That was all related to my food not digesting, but fermenting in my stomach because I was eating foods that required different digestive enzymes and acids to be assimilated and they ended up signaling both alkaline and acidic secretions at once. When that happens, they nuetralize and become ineffective at digesting proteins, carbs or fats. But when you food combine, only the digestive juices appropriate to that type of food are released and your body can break the food down and really make use of what you eat. For me, the result was greater absorption of nutrients so I felt more energetic, less cravings for sugary foods, total loss of all my stomach problems and a much much speedier metabolism.

SO be patient, trust in the knowledge that it will work, and investigate food combining. It's actually very easy to do and makes a WORLD of difference.

thanks for getting in touch Lex. I have been at this for 2 weeks now, with no change and I must admit, I was getting a bit dispondent. I am sooo hungry,I can basiucally tell the time by my stomach, it growls every 2-3 hours and I was never hungry before, did you lose weight this way, I have tried everything else and I am convinced my body is a medical wonder!!!!! Where can I find out about the food combining you talked about?

Thanks

Belle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.