He Thinks I am Too Tall

Madonna

Cathlete
Today, at work, we had an officer's meeting. I was sitting in a chair and the man sitting behind me said "Wouldn't you know I would have to sit behind the tallest female here". And then he got up and moved.

I dont think he knew I heard him and it really hurt my feelings. He works in the department right next to mine, so I see him all the time and sometimes talk to him on the elevator.

Should I say something to him or keep my hurt feelings to myself?

I'm sorry, but I'm not getting how calling someone tall is an insult. He didn't say he sat behind the fattest or ugliest female here. I'd let it go. How tall are you, anyway?

Yeah, I'd say stand "Taller" and let him go with the breeze...If says anything again, stand even a bit more taller and let him know you love it!

Don't say anything, just make sure you're standing or sitting in front of him every single freakin chance you get.

I would make it a point to wear my highest heels and look down my nose at him every chance I got. Not to stereotype, but some men really have an issue with their height. I've yet to meet a really short man who didn't also own a giant dog! :)

How tall are you? I'm only 5'7 but have always wanted to be REALLY tall. I envy women who are 6 feet!!

Marie

Original Poster here.

I an 5'10" however, I usually wear two or three inch heels. So I am usually the biggest person everywhere I go.

I am not overweight. I wear a size 12 and I have long, blonde, curly hair and blue eyes with long eyelashes. I also work out a lot and run. So my body is fit and I look nice in my clothes.

My feelings were hurt because other people heard him say that and it embarrassed me. It was not a nice thing for him to get up and move like he did. It was as if something was wrong with me and it hurt my feelings.

I think that I've definitely thickened my skin over the years and have much improved, however, I am by nature, sensitive and things like that hurt my feelings or would embarrass me as well. I've come to not care as much about what people think and also to realize that kind of stuff is about the person who is saying it, not about you. He probably didn't give it a second thought after he did it, so try to blow it off, it's not worth your time or worry.

Another one here that doesn't see the insult. Have you considered that maybe he just couldn't see what was happening in the front of the room with you sitting in front of him? Like Kathryn said, unless there was something nasty in his tone I'd let it pass. Maybe he meant it in a lighthearted way.

Michele

People are amazing aren't they?

I am 5'11" (my husband of 25 years is 5'8"). I am still surprised when complete strangers feel the need (and the right) to comment on my height.

I have been compared to an Amazon, asked what the weather is so high up, asked to get things from the top shelf, etc. All within the last 6 months and I am 47 years old for crying out loud.

No one ever says it in the same tone that they compliment you hair, or clothes... No its said with a certain degree of astonishment, pity, or sarcasm.

In all of my life I have never heard anyone say, "my, you must be so unhappy that you are so ____ (fill in the blank)." But a tall woman is open season.

Do I love being this tall? Absolutely not. Clothes don't fit correctly, airline seats don't have enough leg room, it's hard to find really cute shoes with reasonably low heels, and it's very, very, very hard to do full pikes x(

The guy was a jerk.

I understand how you feel, but how you deal with it is up to you and certainly depends on the situation. (are you and he on equal footing in the company?) You sound like a beautiful, strong woman. Who cares what the loser says.

Debbie Russo

If he had said, "wouldn't you know I would have to sit behind the tallest MALE here," do you think the male would have been insulted?

Of course not because being tall is an accomplishment in the male world. It's like if you study really hard when you are a young boy you will grow up to be a really TALL guy.

Short guys have it rough. My husband (5'8") was told early in his career that he would have a hard time advancing because shorter guys don't get as much respect as tall guys. Hmmm... he climbed the corporate ladder at his first job and became the youngest VP in the company's 50+ year history, he co-founded a bank at the age of 32 and by the age of 49 he is 100% retired. The thing that I am most proud of though, is that he can do all of Cathe's workouts and I mean all!

I reached full height in the 9th grade and it was miserable being 5'11" in the mid-70's. No way could I find bell bottoms that dragged on the ground or Frye boots that came to my knees - thank heavens for gauchos and boot toppers!

Debbie

But you know, I'll bet he would NOT have said that had he been seated behind the tallest male! I really think the guy was being a jerk.
Just Do It! :)

Napoleon syndrome

Don't sweat it - this is classic "little man syndrome".

I'm 5'10" and often wear heels. I have had all sorts of stupid comments from men in particular about my height, and always men who are shorter than me. It is so not worth getting upset about - his problem not yours!

What a jerk!!

RE: Napoleon syndrome

Both of my ex-s are short, the first 5'6-1/2, and the second 5'1"! The first one had the Napoleon syndrome thing going on big time, and the second really did not. The first one joined the Marines, and always swaggered around like he was a tough guy, and the second one was into Karate, and did not feel the need to swagger. He WAS, however, real big into excuses about everything, but then he was an alcoholic! So was the first one. So much for my choice of men!
Just Do It! :)

RE: Napoleon syndrome

I also don't see the insult. Perhaps he just wanted a clear view of whatever was going on at your meeting. Stand (or sit in this case)tall and be proud of your height. A lot of women would love to be tall. (I'm 5'10", but for some reason, I would love to be 6 feet tall).

Now if he said something to you directly in a situation that didn't involve him wanting to see the front of the room, I probably would have responded with a sarcastic, "That must s*ck for you, being so short and all".

It's a shame you felt uncomfortable, but I doubt anyone thought any less of you because his comments. You are what you are, you know? If anything, everyone probably thought he was a bit rude.

(Now the brat in me wants to suggest that next time, sit behind him and say, "Great, I wanted to sit behind the shortest man in the room. I've got a better view this way". That would negate everything I've said, though, wouldn't it!!).

Take Care,
Shelbygirl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.