Have you seen "I am Legend" SPOILER

KimDW

Cathlete
Anyone else see this movie? When I first saw that there was a dog in it the first thing I said was "There better not be anything happen to that dog!" and then when they get into the fight with the creatures and she gets hurt OMG!!! I bawled. I'm not talking about a little teary eyed thing - I was sobbing so hard that I couldn't even catch my breath and this went on for about 20 mins. I couldn't stand that she died. I thought about that movie for days after seeng it and it really bothered me. Have you ever had a movie affect you like that?

I drive past a German Sheppard dog everyday on my way home from work and for the first few days after seeing the movie I found it hard to even look at the dog. So wierd!!

RE: Have you seen

I used to have two german shepards that I had to leave with my ex when I moved out a couple years ago. When this happened in the movie, my heart sank and I cried.

I pretty much tuned out the rest of the movie & when anyone asks I say that I hated it (though it was an ok movie otherwise).

How do you kill the dog?!?!?! Awful!

Ummm yeah, that pretty much ruined the whole GD movie for me. There is one rule in movies that should always be followed: you never kill the kid or the dog! :(

That said, I really enjoyed the first half of the movie. I found it fascinating. The second half was pretty much a "Night of the Living Dead" redux. Of course when I mentioned this to a co-worker I was informed this movie was the 3rd version of I Am Legend. I had no idea.

I pretty much stopped watching it after that. I sat there but wasn't really paying attention. My co-worker and I were talking about it thought that he decided he didn't want Sam to have to live like that (as one of the creatures) and thought it was the best thing to do. When he started singing her the song that he sang when he would bathe her it really got to me. Not to mention that the ending was just stupid!

OMG the dog DIES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Well, I'll definetely NOT be watching this one. I was so excited to see it because I have a special place in my heart for German Sheperds but now that I know she dies, I think I'll pass. Laura's totally right---RULE #1 FOR ALL MOVIES: ALL ANIMALS AND CHILDREN LIVE!!!!!!!!! ;)

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Won't be watching this one.

It's like in Gladiator, at the beginning, he has that wonderful dog who rides into battle with him and DOESN'T COME BACK!!! The whole freaking movie, I wanted that dog to come back!

Shelley, does the fact that my pug is named after the Gladiator make the movie a little better for you? :p :+ :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's affected this way...

I haven't seen the movie, specifically because I found out that the dog dies.

>Anyone else see this movie? When I first saw that there was
>a dog in it the first thing I said was "There better not be
>anything happen to that dog!" and then when they get into the
>fight with the creatures and she gets hurt OMG!!! I bawled.
>I'm not talking about a little teary eyed thing - I was
>sobbing so hard that I couldn't even catch my breath and this
>went on for about 20 mins. I couldn't stand that she died. I
>thought about that movie for days after seeng it and it really
>bothered me. Have you ever had a movie affect you like that?
>
>
>I drive past a German Sheppard dog everyday on my way home
>from work and for the first few days after seeing the movie I
>found it hard to even look at the dog. So wierd!!

I can not watch anything with animals. I am a huge baby. We saw it in Imax and you betcha I was balling. My hubby is like what is wrong with you? No heart!
beth6395

"You didn't pause your dvd and go make popcorn did ya"
-Cathe Friedrich

http://www.picturetrail.com/juicyfruities2002

I'm such a sucker for animals and bawled my eyes out too. If the same scene happened with a child rather than the dog I couldn't have cared less, but show me an injured or scared animal and I fall to pieces.

At the opening scene of Ace Ventura Pet Detective II, Jim Carey is on a mountain with a racoon whos safety line is about to snap and the racoon is going to fall down the mountain and die. And thats what happened. I started bawling. I didn't think this was funny at all even though they were spoofing some movie. I left the theatre offended.

I cry at cartoon animals too.

Kim..I have always been bad about animals (especially dogs and cats) getting killed in movies...There are many movies I WILL NOT see because of this, including I Am Legend...even though I know an actual animal does not get hurt in the making of these movies it actually tears my guts out to see it...so I avoid at all costs...:(

When I saw the dog the first thing I said was "oh no, I know the dog is going to get killed". I couldn't watch the scene with him fighting the beasts and got up and went in the other room. I just knew he would get hurt and when he was holding him in his arms I left the room too.

Susandean

OMG! I am so glad to see that I am not the only one who gets affected by animal deaths in films. The ugly way the dog dies in 'I Am Legend' is the reason I haven't seen the film. I can watch some pretty hardcore stuff, but something about animals getting hurt in films just ruins the whole film for me. I read that Will Smith absolutely fell in love with that dog and tried to buy her from her owners, but they refused. He said he couldn't blame them for not wanting to give up part of their family.

I am a nurse and although I care about my patients, I have developed a "tolerance" to their pain and it does not affect me as much anymore(DH thinks I'm horrible) but it is truly a coping mechanism. But show me a hurt animal and I go to pieces. They keep showing the beautiful horse that was put down at the Kentucky Derby and it just kills me! I keep thinking about her, even though I know she's not in pain now. I will not watch a movie with animals unless I know it's a happy movie!!

I read "I am Legend" years ago and I knew that the dog would die, and that's why I didn't go to see the movie. It seems like every time a dog is in a movie, he or she dies! So lame! So, you're not alone.

Dee

Unfortunately, the script called for an "exercise" in Will Smith's loneliness (and his acting abilities, for that matter) as well as showing the true meaning of a dog being a man's best friend. That's why she attacked when she felt her master was in danger.
For me, it was one of the strongest (if not THE strongest) sequence in the film when he holds her in his arms and waits for her to "turn" and then kills her. And then he is left all alone...
I didn't like the movie, but for many other reasons... After reading the short story, I kind of expected something different. The incident with the dog in the short story moved me more than the film.
Of course, Richard Matheson is a great writer.. too bad they didn't stick to his book.
And, I always hate it when they kill the animal in any movie as a "cheap" shot at getting us all emotional and shocked.

Chris.

That dog dying was the most distressing part of the movie, IMO! Did you know that they actually went and got a shelter dog for that role? Amazing.

I told my husband at the start of the movie, "nothing better happen to that dog"! It absolutely ruins a movie for me! I took my kids to see "Eight Below" last year and it broke my heart too. I'm with the rest of you, nothing better happen to the kids or the dog (or the mom;( ! I still can't watch "Bambi" or "Dumbo". My 13 yr. son thinks I'm a sap! When my daughter was about 4 yrs. old I rented the movie, "The Land Before Time" and while she was watching it (I was cleaning house, I had never seen the movie)I heard her sobbing and I went rushing into the room wondering what kind of movie this was. I asked her what was wrong and she said, "His momma died!" Talk about feeling guilty, I scarred her for life! ;-) She stills hates that movie! I guess she's just a chip off the old block.

When my
>daughter was about 4 yrs. old I rented the movie, "The Land
>Before Time" and while she was watching it (I was cleaning
>house, I had never seen the movie)I heard her sobbing and I
>went rushing into the room wondering what kind of movie this
>was. I asked her what was wrong and she said, "His momma
>died!" Talk about feeling guilty, I scarred her for life! ;-)
> She stills hates that movie! I guess she's just a chip off
>the old block.

LMAO!!! When I read this thread, that is the FIRST movie that came to mind for me! I was trying to think of what movie had really scarred me and it was the first 15 minutes of the Land Before Time!!! I bawled my eyes out as a kid watching the part where his mom died! And in Dumbo I could never get through the scene where the mom elephant sings to Dumbo without bawling. I must be a cold heart ba$#*rd though when it comes to small kids because that doesn't really affect me, but have an animal die or be hurt in a movie and I can't take it! I had already heard that the dog died in I am Legend, so I was ready for it, but it was still so sad. :(

>When my
>>daughter was about 4 yrs. old I rented the movie, "The Land
>>Before Time" and while she was watching it (I was cleaning
>>house, I had never seen the movie)I heard her sobbing and I
>>went rushing into the room wondering what kind of movie this
>>was. I asked her what was wrong and she said, "His momma
>>died!" Talk about feeling guilty, I scarred her for life!
>;-)
>> She stills hates that movie! I guess she's just a chip off
>>the old block.
>
>LMAO!!! When I read this thread, that is the FIRST movie that
>came to mind for me! I was trying to think of what movie had
>really scarred me and it was the first 15 minutes of the Land
>Before Time!!! I bawled my eyes out as a kid watching the
>part where his mom died! And in Dumbo I could never get
>through the scene where the mom elephant sings to Dumbo
>without bawling. I must be a cold heart ba$#*rd though when
>it comes to small kids because that doesn't really affect me,
>but have an animal die or be hurt in a movie and I can't take
>it! I had already heard that the dog died in I am Legend, so
>I was ready for it, but it was still so sad. :(

Speaking of movies that scar you. How about The Lion King? When the bad uncle Lion kills the King Lion - Mustafa. I was in high school when that came out and I'm thinking what the hell? How is this for kids? I was shocked and dismayed by the scene. I just couldn't believe they put that in. I understand teaching kids about death but that was murder. Not impressed.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.