Has anyone seen the BodyWorlds exhibit?

workout junkie

Cathlete
DH and I went and saw the BodyWorlds 2 exhibit last weekend in Baltimore. Since it's one of those traveling exhibits and has been all over the country, I was curious if anyone else has seen this and what you thought of it.

It's a controversial exhibit, but I'm glad I saw it. Very fascinating and sure makes you think about how complex our bodies and minds are...

Melissa

Melissa-I saw Body Worlds in Philly about 3 years ago and absolutely LOVED IT!!! I really did. Once you get past the idea of what you're actually looking at, I found it SUPER INTRIGUING. It taught me a lot of things, and it was really nice to see certain muscles, ligaments, etc, such as the IT Band, rotator cuff, obliques and lats.

The exhibit we went to had the pregnant lady with the fetus and I could not tear myself away from that display. My SO (at the time) kept trying to get me to move on, but I made him move forward without me.

I was also fascinated with the organs and tissue displays that illustrated disease or other ailments....cancer, smoking, etc.

I had heard many of the controversial issues before we went, and that's a BIG reason why I went. Whatever your thoughts about it, it's all personal, but I LOVED IT!

Gayle

I saw "Bodies, The Exhibition" in Vegas. It is similar to Body Worlds, but is a different company. It was totally fascinating. I loved seeing the lungs and all the stages of an unborn baby. The other part that was so amazing to me was the spine and also the muscles. Oh, all of it is so interesting.

Jean

Hi Gayle,

Glad to see someone else found it as intriguing as me. I totally agree about seeing the muscles, ligaments, etc. I would think that for those that exercise, it'd be neat to see all the different muscles we're working out.

I especially wanted DH to see the lungs that were affected by smoking, as I really wish he'd quit. How could you not want to after seeing those black lungs, and the ones affected by emphysema and cancer? Seeing the brain was neat too. And the heart. And everything!

All the exhibits were amazing, but I have to agree with you about that pregnant lady display. I just kept looking at it. And, this might seem weird, but I wondered about her and what happened too...

I highly recommend people see this if it comes to their area. To each their own, but I didn't think it was sensationalism. I found it very educational and eye-opening. More interesting than looking at an anatomy book.

I also saw Bodies, the Exhibition last year.. I thought it was amazing! I found most intriguing the stages of the fetus and seeing their actual size during each developmental phase, as well as seeing the fetus in the uterus of the mother's body. I do have to say I was a little bit disturbed by the fetuses with birth defects (i.e. spina bifida).

Other displays I enjoyed were the ones showing the circulatory system and another display, in particular, that showed all the nerves in the body... Overall, it was definitely an interesting exhibit and I'm glad I saw it.

Hi Jean,

I haven't heard of that exhibit. Is it a permanent exhibit or is it a traveling one?

It's hard to pick out what was most interesting. The BodyWorlds exhibit also had the different stages of an unborn baby. Really made me contemplate the "miracle of life". It's really remarkable...

loved it, loved it, loved it - I keep meaning to go again (I'm in NY where we have what appears to be a permanent installation). This was probably the best museum exhibit I've ever seen.

workout junkie
RE:
>Hi Jean,
>
>I haven't heard of that exhibit. Is it a permanent exhibit or
>is it a traveling one?
>

It's been at the Tropicana in Vegas for quite some time so I don't know if it travels. They have other locations. Here's the link for "Bodies, the Exhibition"
www.bodiestheexhibition.com/

Here's the link for BodyWorlds
www.bodyworlds.com/en/exhibitions/current_exhibitions.html

I believe both exhibits use the same method for preservation. The circulatory system was truly amazing too. I can only imagine what doctors are faced with when you realize how all these parts work together on a live person.

Jean

DH took me to the 1st one in Chicago a few years ago for my birthday. A wierd present, but I asked for it. I thought it was absolutley fascinating and could have wandered in there all day. He nearly lost his breakfast. Too each his own, I guess. I wanted to see #2, but he didn't want to go:(

Nan

NY25 - I agree with it being the best museum exhibit I've ever seen.

Nan - that's funny about your hubby almost losing his breakfast. I can't watch any surgery-type shows, but this didn't bother me at all. Except when we went to eat afterwards, I started thinking about some of it and felt a little barfy. :p

My sons 6th grade class went to BodyWorlds 3 when it was here a few months ago. I was surprised that they took middle schoolers and I think he was a little disturbed by it - well - in boy terms - thought it was gross.... :)

I did hear that the bin that they have for you to leave your cigarettes in is quite full by the end of the day - so maybe it does help people quit those nasty habits...

I saw it in St. Paul, Mn 2 years ago. I agree with the good reviews. :)

Definitely makes you want to treat your body well, doesn't it?

Ditto all the comments from above - an amazing exhibit IMO. My brother does brain pathology and his commentary on the Parkinson's brains, stroke brains, etc. was an interesting addition as well.

I saw it in San Antonio and thought it was interesting. It does seem to get a bit repetitive with the bodies though. And is a bit grose but not that bad. My kids had no problem with it.
It cost way too much for the amount of stuff we got to see. Overall I was glad to have seen it though. I had wanted to see the full museum that is in Houston but it was too far so was glad the traveling one was in town when we were there.

I saw it in Seattle. It was called "Bodies". My son took us to it. Amazing! I have a very sensitive nose and I smelled their flesh or the chemical they used to preserve their bodies. Or did it replace some of their bodies? I just put my hat over my nose and I was fine.

Wanted to see the pregnant woman, but she wasn't there. I now know what are muscles look like. It was incredible to see what we look like without our skin. I don't mean to be obnoxious but did you notice a bone at the end of every ones anus? I had no idea we all had one. And bands around our hands and feet. The lungs exhibition with all kinds of cigarette packages thrown away beside it. Oh, an the exhibit of a person skinned. Just amazing. Have to say I've learned a lot from this exhibition. I truly am grateful for these people.

Janie

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif
[/url]

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

I missed the exhibit in DC, so DH and I took a daytrip to Baltimore, saw the exhibit, then got some yummy crab cakes. The exhibit is there until Sept. 1st. So if you get a chance, go!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.