Has anyone found a cathe workout .....

I don't like always being the naysayer, but here I go again. Your back is like my shoulders. My build is such that I just have fat there, and no matter how much shoulder work I do, I will never have defined shoulders unless I decrease my body fat. Sorry to be such a downer, Paula.

By the way, if you're wearing a bra with a narrow strap in back, try a much wider bra band to eliminate "bra bulge". It works very well. :D
-Nancy the Naysayer

ETA: I just looked at your pics and I don't see even a hint of back bulge. What the heck are you talking about??

Paula, try adding chin-ups and pull-ups to your routine. I really saw a difference in my back when I added those in. I don't even do that many, but the results have been good. Hope this helps.

Pinky

>Paula, try adding chin-ups and pull-ups to your routine. I
>really saw a difference in my back when I added those in. I
>don't even do that many, but the results have been good. Hope
>this helps.
>
>Pinky

Yes, definitely try doing chins and pulls . . . and if at all possible try doing wide grip pullups. My back has reached new levels of definition from doing these!:)

I love pullups!!!}( But I heard some ppl complain (especially woman) because they acn't pull up the long way (where you grasp the bar with your hands farther apart to work more the lats) So if you can't do that, try putting your hands closer togather, ingading the bicep more, or try holding your chin over the bar for like 30 seconds.

Have Fun!

~Adri;-)
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

For me, it’s been a combination of using Cathe’s kickboxing workouts, along with going HEAVY on her back stuff (all of her strength DVDs come to mind here). I really like pullovers (especially with the barbell, ala Muscle Max and Gym Style Back, Shoulders, & Bis). Also, I try to use dumbbells for rows instead of the bar as this works both sides evenly (if I use a barbell, I find that my right side gets stronger while my left side stays lagging behind.)

Punches (such as those featured in Kick Max, KP&C, and Cardio Kicks) really work the lats and rear delts.

I know you said Cathe, but P90X really did wonders for my back. As for the bra bulge - Nancy mentioned getting a wider strap which is a fabulous idea. The other - make sure you're wearing the right size bra. Many shops now give free sizings. You may want to check with one of those stores.

OK maybe (again) I wasn't clear enough. It's not directly under the strap, it's lower on my back (would that be lats?) it just makes a crease if that makes sense. It's not smooth (which would be nice) or muscular (like cathe which would be great!). It just kind of hangs there. Now Nancy may be right, it might be just something I have to live with. But I like a challenge and if there's something else I can try (like chinup/pullups) I will before I just give up.
http://www.picturetrail.com/luckeelaydee

Paula

Hi Paula,

I have to agree with the posters that said pull-ups and chin-ups made the biggest difference. I didn't have much back definition until I started my P90X rotation. I bought the Door Gym Deluxe and it has worked really well and takes up a small amount of space! HTH!

I actually think many Cathe workouts are light on back work, either on number of exercises (vs. chest) or in amount of weight hefted (12# dumbbell rows in the same workout where they are using 25# dumbbells for chest presses? Quite an imbalance, IMO.)

I make sure to use near the same amounts of weight for back as for chest (depending on the exercise), and to have at least the same number of back exercises as chest exercises (if not more): this sometimes entails dropping a chest exercise in favor of adding a back exercise.

But for the 'bra-overhang/bra-underhang,' lowering body fat is also important (since it's usually extra fat we're talking about) and using not only weight work, but diet and cardio to do so.

It's good to add kickboxing to your cardio, if you aren't already doing so, as the twisting movements for the punches help work the mid-to-lower back area.

Thanks everyone for your good advice. I do kickboxing already at least once and usually twice per week. I will add some back exercises and try the chin up/pull up work.

A chin-up bar is not a big piece of equipmemt, and it's not expensive. No reason for big boy to shoot you! They have chin-up bar that go in the doorway and can be taken down when not in use.

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back