Harmful effects of smoking

yoopermama

Cathe,

I'm a new found fan of your workouts on fit tv. I'm doing well and motivated to become more fit and healthy.

I know that I need to quit smoking. What helps is an understanding of how the effects of smoking can hurt a person. Can you tell me what is the most harmful thing that smoking does to your muscles?

Thanks,

Kelly

http://www.musclenet.com/smoking_bodybuilding_alcohol.html

Smoking Has The Following Negitive Impact On Performance:

* Smoking reduces fitness levels through irreversible respiratory-system damage: This means that one cannot train as long, and the quality of training they do engage in is compromised. Smoking has an immediate effect on respiration, increasing airway resistance and therefore reducing the amount of oxygen absorbed into the blood.

* Often the determining factor, that allows one to succeed in bodybuilding, is whether they can complete that all important final rep, or that extra half-an-hour of cardio. Smoking significantly reduces the likelihood of either of these things. Smoking slows down lung function and reduces lung growth, leaving the smoker literally gasping for air when they need it most.

* The heart-beat of a smoker is 30% faster, on average, than that of a non-smoker: This forces the body of the smoker to expend more energy (in the form of heart-beats) to keep up with their non-smoking counterparts. This faster heart-beat is due to the stimulating effect of nicotine. The resulting increase in heart-rate, and blood pressure, paradoxically, decreases the flow of blood through the blood vessels, and this, in turn, reduces performance.

* Those who smoke produce phlegm more than twice as often as non-smokers: Phlegm builds up in the airway and prohibits correct respiration (breathing). This is because smoking causes chronic swelling of the mucus membranes.

* Tobacco significantly reduces oxygen availability to the muscles during exercise: Carbon monoxide in tobacco smoke has a higher affinity to haemoglobin (an oxygen carrying molecule in the blood) than does oxygen. Smoking, therefore, encourages the replacement of oxygen with carbon monoxide and, resultantly, causes oxygen depletion and a corresponding reduction in performance.

Carbon monoxide has a two-fold negative effect, in that it reduces the amount of oxygen absorbed into the blood from the lungs, and the amount that is absorbed into the muscles from the blood. Oxygen is important for the functioning of all energy systems in the body, so any mechanism which interferes with oxygen transport and uptake interferes with energy production, and therefore, athletic performance.

* The tar in cigarette smoke adds to airways resistance. This tar coats the lungs, reducing the elasticity of the air sacs and resulting in the absorption of less oxygen into the bloodstream.

* Tar also affects the cleansing mechanism of the lungs, allowing pollutants to remain in the bronchial tubes and lungs. Increased phlegm and coughing, and damage to the cilia (the hair-like projections which "sweep" pollutants out of the airways) are the result.

* Decrease in maximal oxygen intake... Although exercising can increase maximal oxygen uptake by up to 20%, smoking can reduce this effect by up to 10%.

* Research also shows that cigarette smoking probably damages cells in the testes - the cells that synthesize testosterone. Testosterone levels within the body govern the muscle growth process from training. Thus, smoking may well hinder optimal testosterone production and interfere with the body’s capacity to build muscle.

* Another recent study examined the effects of smoking on exercise recovery. Chronic exposure to the nicotine in cigarettes leads to insulin resistance, making nutrient transport into muscles and other tissues more difficult. This study demonstrated that the muscles of young men who smoked, recovered a lot slower from exercise compared to non-smokers. Results showed that smoker’s muscle glycogen replenishment rates were much slower compared to non-smokers. This means that smoking directly interferes with insulin/glucose metabolism in muscle. The bottom like here is that smokers do not recover efficiently from exercise.

To Conclude: Smoking is linked to cancer, cardiovascular disease, heart damage, inadequate testosterone levels and poor insulin metabolism; these factors must equate to poor results from bodybuilding.

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

http://www.picturetrail.com/desertbriez

Hi there! Obviously not Cathe, but I have been where you are. I quit July 2, 2006 with Nicoderm patches. Let me tell you the differences!
1. I can get through an entire Cathe workout without getting winded or coughing
2. I smell incredibly good (like shampoo and lotion instead of smoke)
3. I can chase my son around without getting tired
4. I can continue what I'm doing--relaxing, working out, finishing a project, laundry, dishes, etc. without worrying about when I'm going to get to smoke again.
5. I can look at my family and know that they are better off for me taking care of myself.
6. I can exercise and eat right and not feel like a total hypocrite as I smoke a cigarette after working out.
7. With all my extra money, I was able to buy ALL of Cathe's new DVD's without batting an eye.

These are just a few reasons...you need to find your own as well. I wish you all the luck and determination in the world. Quitting is one of the hardest things to do, but you CAN do it.

>2. I smell incredibly good (like shampoo and lotion instead
>of smoke)

i gotta say... this is a good reason to quit (ok... the others are all good... GREAT!)

i've never been a smoker... so i can smell it a mile away.... i had a smoker come to work on the heater in my office... it was HORRIBLE! i had to open the window the whole time he was there!

DH's parents smoke.... when they send christmas gifts... i have to leave them in the garage until they air out.... before i can even put them under the tree!!!! then once opened... back into the garage they go to air out again! you don't realize (at least i assume smokers don't realize) how much the smell clings to you and everything around you!

to anyone who's trying to quit.... i wish you the best of luck and KNOW that you will be successful in your endeavor to a new HEALTHIER (and better smelling) you!!!!!!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

http://www.picturetrail.com/desertbriez

Hmmm, ex-smoker here. Took breast cancer at age 36 to make me quit permanently and completely.I'm looking forward to seeing my children grow up.

Kelly - anoher ex-smoker here, first let me say you CAN do it.

That being said you have to want it bad enough though in order to quit. I smoked for 10 yrs. & if I had tried to stop for any other reason that wanting to I wouldn't have been successful, you have to want it more than wanting to satify the addiction to smoking.

It was hard, I quit cold turkey-was flying home to IL from CA, had been out the night before and smoked way more than normal b/c I was drinking-as I sat there on the plane feeling like crap & lungs hurting I decided I WANTED to quit. That was about 3 years, before that there is NO way I'd be able to get through one of Cathe's cardio workouts.

There are still days where I wish I could have one but then all I have to do is remember how bad I stunk from smoke and how much better I can breathe now & that is more powerful than the addiction.

Good luck & just know that it can be done! :)

Ex-smoker here. It is tough and at times i still want one.
There is a new drug out now that i have heard works. It kills the sinal from your brain saying you need the niccotine. I say it is worth a try. I have a couple customers that said it worked for them.

Anne
Aka( Storm)

http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

If you need help quitting, the easiest thing you can do it find the nearest "Body Worlds" exhibit and go. Once you get a visual on what your lungs ACTUALLY look like from smoking...you'll never pick up a cigarette again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.