Half marathon... Taper off?

buneknek

Cathlete
I'm doing my first half marathon november 6th my question is what is taper off? And can you pls give me more info about it?

The 'taper' means that you reduce your mileage in the 1-2 weeks leading up to your race. The idea is that you will have rested and healed your legs so that on race day you are full of energy. Some people experience anxiety with it because you have reduced the amount of cardio but some runners swear by it.

I find that it also helps me mentally; it gives me a break from worrying about my mileage then by race day I feel refreshed from not worrying about it so much.

Regina

I always taper my milage before a half or full marathon. Just gives your body a chance to rest a bit and repair itself.

Thank you ladies, can you give me sample on how would you do taper off last week of your half marathon?

Is this your first half marathon?
My "standard" year around running schedule is 6 miles twice a week(tuesday and thursday), plus a long run on Saturday. So I might do something like a 6 miles run one week before the race, a 5 miles run (tuesday for me) and then a 4 mile run (thursday for me). Is your race on sunday?
Of course, the milage depends on what your used to running during your training phase. I think the key (at least for me) is to taper your milage down to the point where you feel like your body can really recover and strenghten itself so that on race day you have the energy and power to complete the race as strong as possible.
I'm doing a full marathon on the 16th of this month, and will probably not run more that 4 miles a couple times the week before the race.
Just remember, if you followed a training schedule your body is already "trained" for the race. For me, the most important thing the week before a race is fueling your body with the proper nutrition. Really concentrate on making smart nutrition choices(as problem area for me).
I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to running, this is just what works for me.

Are you not following a plan?

If not, I would suggest that you find one online (Hal Higdon is a good resource. Also Runner's World.) and follow the tapering method that best fits your level of training.

If you do a web search under "half marathon training schedule" or half. marathon taper" , you'll find several different schedules that can help you.

I found the runners world & see tons of question regarding taper off. Thank you ladies. I did 6 miles on my treadmill then 7 miles outside.
Kathryn- you recommended the chia seeds & coconut water for a long run in one of the forum so I ate oatmeal with chia seeds & organic blue agave before my run this am & it work for me! Thank you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.