Hairstylists & Curlyheads, I have a question

LauraMax

Cathlete
Every summer I think about getting my hair permanently straightened b/c it is such a ridiculous mess. Has anyone had this done? Has any stylist done it? I was considering either the japanese straightener or the ISO straightener.

I'm just really afraid that I'll either fry my hair or it'll come out straight but still frizzy.

All I know is right now it feels like I'm wearing a wool scarf & by lunch I'll be wearing a ponytail, as I probably will be every day until September.

Hey Laura!

I have curly hair too and have come thisclose to having the Japanese thing done. A friend of mine had it done and she LOVES it. It looks pretty good, except for the ends look a little split. I'm not sure if a good trim would help, but she goes in regularly, so I don't know. After seeing her hair I really, really wanted to get it done. But then I started to wonder if a) I would miss my curls and b) I would ruin my hair (because I've heard stories that after having it touched up a few times it is just really damaged). But it's just hair, so I suppose you can just cut it off. My other thought was when and if I got to a point where I didn't want it straight anymore, how strange would it look when the roots grew in.

My friend who had it done has self-described "nappy" hair and it really does look amazing. Let us know what you decide! Good luck!

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

I have heard the Japanese technique really works well and does not damage your hair, but only if you have NOT used box color in the last year, or it fries your hair off.

My hair is not curly but not straight and looks like a really bad perm in the summer unless I use an iron on it. I am always in a ponytail, too, so you're in good company.

;-)

Marie

Laura,
I've had thick, coarse, curly, frizzy, hard to manage hair my whole life and always hated it. Now that I've found a stylist who REALLY knows how to handle curly hair, I am LOVING my curly hair and wouldn't trade it for anything. I swear, it even looks great this week, in all the humidity. This should have happened decades ago, but now I truly appreciate what I have, and finally understand why others always tell me they wish they had curly hair. My hair is now the one thing about my looks that I don't want to change. Now if I could only feel that way about the rest of me. ;)
-Nancy

ETA: In my icon my hair is very short, but I actually wear it much longer most of the time. I definitely don't believe that curly hair needs to be worn short.

Hey Laura,

This is my first time posting here, although I have been lurking for a while. I wanted to share my experience with the Japanese Straightening (thermal reconditioning). I had it done a few years ago, it made my very curly hair super straight, super shiny and super flat. That was the only thing I didnt like - it had absolutely no body. But, I didnt have to use alot of product in it, it didnt get frizzy in the summer and was pretty easy to deal with. I only had it done the once and the entire time it was growing out I had to blow out straight the new growth EVERY DAY. It looked really weird otherwise. The part you have straightened never goes back at all. I guess its just a matter of preference - some people love it but I couldnt stand having no body in my hair and ended up curling it alot. :) As far as damaging my hair - it didnt and I do color it, but I had it done at a very reputable salon by a very experienced stylist. Hope this helps!

Good Luck!:)

Iso straightners are ok. I use them . There is not a chemical that you are going to use that will do no damage.
Iso I use. It will straighten nicely and not anywhere as drying as a lye relaxer.I like them.
Is there color on your hair?

You still can not over lap them.
The japanese straightner is used with a chemical and a flat iron. I think it is more damanging.
If you have natural curl. Keep it.
At least you can flat iron it or go curly.
You may actually have more work with straightned hair.
Anne

http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

I understand your frustration with your curly hair especially in the summer.:-( Thank goodness for ponytail holders, clips and baseball caps. :)

I can't help you with permanent straightening. However, I finally found a product called Curls Rock Amplifier by TIGI Catwalk. That stuff works great especially in humid weather. Be careful if you get it though...you only need a very small amount. I figured that out the first time I used it. :eek: I had that "crunchy" look which doesn't look so good...on me at least.

If you do it, be sure to post before and after photos. :)

Dallas
http://www.picturetrail.com/chisoxfan

This post just grabbed my attention. I have naturally curly hair and I love it...but as Nancy said, it's because I've finally found a stylist that knows how to cut it and a product that reigns in all of the frizz. I live in the midwest where humidity is the name of the game the entire year!

I use a product by Aquage called Defining Gel and I love it. I put it on my hair wet, scrunch it and then let it air dry while I get dressed, and put on my makeup. Then, once I've let it air dry, I blow it dry to a semi-dry state and then let it air dry the rest of the morning. It always looks so shiny and curly, no frizz.

I must admit, though, since I edit hardcopy material for a living and I spend most of the day bent over a desk with a pen, that I do wear it in a ponytail pretty much every day.

Hope that helps. It might be better than the fuss of having to straighten it all the time.

laura,

I've been getting it done for four years. I've tried a number of places in NJ and NYC and found someone I completely trust. He uses the Liscio system. It saves me tons of time! The regrowth can be a pain in the butt.

PM me if you'd like.

Thanks all for your input, & welcome Fitmomof4! Leave it to curly hair to induce someone into posting their first message....:+

Well I definitely do not need any product recommendations as I've tried pretty much everything, & I have a fabulous hairstylist. Mostly what I want is feedback from those who have had or performed a straightening product.

Anne, my hair isn't really color treated. The last time I used a permanent color was about 18 months ago, & the last time I used a temporary color was probably 3 months ago (yeah, the gray is really showing now :p ). In general my hair is very healthy (and yes, I did get off that nasty drug so I won't be losing it anytime soon).

What I'm really wondering is if I can use one of these hair straighteners to de-frizz & keep some curl. Like, if it was left in half the time or if I shampooed after 24 hours instead of 48.........

Hair grows 1/2 in a month. So , unless your hair is only 9 " long there is still color on it.
I am trying to talk you out of this.
You have pretty hair.
Don't dry your hair out it will get frizzier.
Have you ever tried a deep conditioning treatment under a dryer for 30 min.
Moisture in the hair will help control the frizzies.
Buy a good deep conditioner from your stylist.
Nexus Phyto Organics BAbusa Mudd is great....
There are many more...
Go buy one of those portable hood dryers (like old ladies use). Like 40 bucks.I found a portable at a yard sale for 5 bucks.Go to sallys and buy plastic caps. or use small garbage bag.
Wash it. Douse it with conditioner and bag it.
Sit under that boy for 20-30 min. Ley your hair cool and rinse it.
You will be amazed.
Or have your stylist do it.
Do it once a week and you will not believe the feel of your hair.
It will be cheaper in the long run to do it yourself. I don't know your finances...Gets expensive at the salon all the time.

Good luck..
Let me know what you decide...
Curiosity
Anne

http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

Hi Laura,
I also have frizzy (More wavy than curly) hair that, yes, is in a ponytail at the moment! I live in a high humidity state,Georgia, and the only thing I can do in the summer is grin and bear it. Well, not so much grin, but I accept it as a temporary condition.

Like others have said, you really need to think about the grow in process bc you will have to either maintain it for a long while or deal with the regrowth. (Like relaxers, a lot of the breakage after chemical services occurs at the point where the straightened and curly hair meet). Since you have long hair, it really could take over a year to get back to curly if you decide to.

Two friends who have done the thermal straightening have no frizz but the hair holds no curl at all. Time between touch-ups depends on how coarse your hair is & how well you can straighten it with blow dryer. I think 1 was able to wait 4-6 months before having to re-do treatment.

My husband is a stylist and we sell beauty products at our salon, so like you I have tried EVERY product out there. I have found that there is NO one miracle product but a 5 step process for keeping the frizz under control. 1. Moisturizing Shampoo & Conditoner 2. Hair serum (on wet hair) to seal hair cuticles 3. Leave-in conditioner or mousse for moisture 4. Styling gel for hold 5. Comb thru,air dry and do not touch hair until completely dry (Yes, takes forever in summer!)

Ok, after all that hair MAY stay frizz free until either you start sweating or until lunchtime, which ever comes first!
:)

Only 8 frizzy weeks until September...

Laura,

Curly hair is awesome!!! I would never pick straight over curly. Sure it can get frizzy and be a pain in the butt, but it is beautiful!!! Personally, I think frizzy curly hair pulled up in a bun with a few "scraggly" bangs looks awesome! I use biolage mousse on mine and it works really well. Oh, and hairdryers are big no nos for curls! Air dry is the best.

I know a lady who has super tight curls and she gets a perm with big rods to calm hers. It is really pretty! I tried this on my hair, but it did not make a difference. I have tight curls, but not as tight as this lady.

I also know another lady who uses a straightening shampoo and a flat iron. It takes her 3 hours....but, she doesn't wash her hair for 3 days. I could never go that long without washing my hair.

I know another lady who uses the straight shampoo at night and a flat iron in the morning. This seems to work for her. I don't have the heart to tell her it looks better curly....

Anyway, there are lots of options for you. You don't have to do anything that will change your hair forever!

Good luck and show us some pics with whatever you decide on doing!!

Sara
http://www.picturetrail.com/saraburnham1

OK, I have a consultation with the straightening professional at my salon today. Evidently there are more options out there than I thought. There are treatments that relax the curl without completely eliminating it. I would so love to have thick, wavy hair without all the crazy curl & frizz. All my cousins have that kind of hair, I guess I drew the short straw. I definitely do not want stick straight, flat hair. Anyway, it's at lunch so I'll let you know what I find out.

Sara, I wear my curls soft. I use the Phytospecific beauty styling creme, which is a really wonderful product, plus a variety of silicone products, but when the humidity is over 90% there's not a product in the world that can help me.

Anne, I deep condition every week. I have one of those heat caps you stick in the microwave. I use several different deep conditioning products (I know you're supposed to change up otherwise you get coating on your hair). And you're right, it keeps it healthy & I can go for 4-5 months without a hair cut. But it doesn't get rid of the frizz.

Laura, the silicone products may be what's causing your frizz. I can't use them at all because I end up with that icky halo of frizz around my head. Eveything I've read says to avoid silicone containing products and since I've banned it I've had much nicer hair. Give it a try and see what happens.

OK here's what the lady at my salon said--

They don't even do the japanese straightening. They used to but they said it was too damaging to hair so they stopped (you gotta love a salon that puts hair before profit :) ).

They do a couple of different straightening procedures. One is called a "curl reducer" that reduces curl & frizz by 40-60%. It leaves some curl & body but does get rid of some frizz. So I consulted with her & my stylist & they both said b/c my hair was fine I was a good candidate for it & they thought I'd be very happy with the results.

The procedure itself costs $200 & takes about an hour. She said clients only have to get touch ups once or twice a year @ $50 a shot. And if I really hated it I could let my curls grow back & it would look pretty natural.

So I'm gonna do a little research online but I'm leaning towards going for it.

Laura,

That's exciting! I'm glad your salon is an honest one. Let us know what you decide and OF COURSE we want pics! :) I know your frustration with the frizz. I do all the right things - use good products, deep condition weekly, and I use Ouidad's Climate Control Gel (which actually works really well in humidity if I remember to use it - I live in a dry climate but need it on rainy days or in Mexico). But some days my hair looks great and other days it looks AWFUL!

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.