hairspray?

nancy324

Cathlete
This morning I prepped for a meeting. Dressed up in my power clothes. Spent 15 minutes on my make-up. Put lots of product in my hair and twisted it into curls all over my head as directed by my stylist.

Walked out onto the street and WHOOSH the wind off the water broke up the curl. Walked down the subway stairs and WHOOSH, I'm in a wind tunnel to rival Dorothy's tornadoe. Get to work, look in the mirror and my curls are a mess. Curly hair and wind do not mix well.

I've never tried hairspray before. Do you think it might help keep the curl together? What do I need? Strong hold? Flexible hold? Does it really work?

what sort of product are you using? hairspray would help a bit, but wind is just an archenemy of hairstyles, unless, of course, you are a victoria's secret model on a photo shoot, lol.

what could work better is a curl activator that you use once you arrive at work. just spritz it in and toss the curls around to activate it.

are we talking short? long? natural curl? wave?

It's the cutest hair! (Yes it is so) Short curls all over her head; tight curls, maybe an inch in diameter? Super duper CUTE!!! (And for the record, I can't picture it looking crazy even with a lot of wind! :p)

I thought the topic was about the movie Hairspray. (having a Jessica Simpson moment).
I don't know much about hair stuff and all. :) :)

nancy, i think you have GREAT hair!!! and that's also a very nice picture of you, you look wonderful :)

i guess my next question would be how long it would take for your hair to look like that? it's hard to pinpoint what works for curly hair because everyone's curl is so different. if that's all your natural curl, here's what i would suggest:

after your shower, put some curling creme in your hair, something like jonathan's create curl. use your fingers to smooth out the curls, just give them all a little twirl and let them air dry. once you get to your destination, spritz some curl activator all over lightly, and then give those curls another little twirl with some glossing creme. of course, without actually seeing and feeling your hair, it's hard to say, but judging by your pic that would be my humble professional advice.

good luck!

Thanks for the advice, Cody. Let me get more specific.

My hair is naturally curly (you think someone would do this to themselves ?? :p ). It's rather thick and coarse and stands up to product well. When I come out of the shower, I use a leave-in conditioner like Biotouch Nutricare Frizz-Control Leave-In Cream. I then add a curl creme on top of that, like Wella Hypercurl. After letting it dry for a while, I spend about 1-2 minutes twisting (very tightly) strands of hair, mostly in front and on top. About an hour later, I shake my head vigorously to fluff out the curls, and fluff out the roots with my fingers. Then it looks like the picture.

Then I walk outside and BAM, the wind gets me. I live right near the water, and my block is a constant wind storm. Also, in the summer, the subway platforms have these big fans on. I call them "hair mashers". You should see me walking right next to the edge of the tracks on a big, wide platform trying to avoid the hair mashers. People must think I'm crazy as I stand there and wait for them to move out of my way while the whole platform is empty. :p :+ LOL!

You've never tried hairspray before? Wow! I find that kind of unbelievable. My hair would fall 5 minutes after I finish styling if I didn't use it. But I have very fine hair. You can get some really nice sprays that offer strong and flexible hold.

>It's the cutest hair! (Yes it is so) Short curls all over
>her head; tight curls, maybe an inch in diameter? Super duper
>CUTE!!! (And for the record, I can't picture it looking crazy
>even with a lot of wind! :p)

I agree with this - Nancy has the CUTEST hair!!! :D

Oh Nancy, don't even consider hairspray! It's just awful for naturally curly hair because it leaves too much residue that will flatten your curls. I learned this the hard way. I like Cody's suggestion to use a curl activator. I sometimes carry a travel size tube of something in my purse. By the way, your hair is adorable!

so when the wind gets you, is the main issue that the curls get messy? or that they loosen up and get frizzy? i think your best bet would be to sort of do that routine once you get to work with the curl activator. you could also bring a small tube of your curl creme with you, and use a teeny bit of that after the curl activator instead of glossing creme. CHI also makes a shine spray that i use on all my curly clients - it smooths and defines nicely.

i wouldn't recommend hairspray at all, though.

Your hair is very cute, Nancy. What about a scarf or something, just till you get out of the subway? Would that just smoosh it down? Good luck. But for me with board straight hair, offering sympathy to someone w/ naturally curly hair is like offering sympathy to someone who is naturally thin. :D

"But for me with board straight hair, offering sympathy to someone w/ naturally curly hair is like offering sympathy to someone who is naturally thin. :D "

Jody, you are too funny! :7 :7 :7 :7

Hi Nancy:

Take a look at this site, which has the most wonderful products for curly hair.. and all natural.. Jessie shows how to do your hair, using her products.. my hair is wavy, so I have the worst of all worlds! won't stay curly and won't stay straight without a lot of tools etc. When I was doing my hair curly, these were the only products I used and they worked great, especially if you use them like she describes:

http://www.jessicurl.com/

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.