Graston Technique for muscle soreness/injury?

atgood

Cathlete
One of our local TV stations did an interesting segment on the so-called Graston technique, which is used by physical therapists and chiropractors to help people recover from injury etc. It involves the use of somewhat medieval-looking tools to intensely massage the problem area and essentially break down scar tissue. It's apparently been used succesfully for rotator cuff injuries and carpa tunnel syndrome, in addition to plain old muscle soreness.

Here's a link to the segment, and there's also lots of interesting stuff if you just Google "Graston technique."

http://www.nbc4.com/health/17422562/detail.html

Anyone tried this? Sounds like one of those things that could be either a load of hooey or the real deal.

It sounds very interesting. I'm glad there is help out there for people who are in pain.

I wonder where you can purchase them?

I use a foam roller and small balls to help with tightness. It's on the same lines, kind of.

Thanks for the info.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

How a propos. My chiropractor's office started offering this, and I'm just starting this now for something that seems like tennis elbow. I just had my first session yesterday. I have quite a few bruises on my upper arm, and some swelling (a side-effect they said could happen). I look like I"ve been beaten up (luckily, it's cooler weather, and I can wear longer sleeves: I wouldn't want anyone to see this!).

I do bruise easily (or at least bruises show more on me), so other people might not have it so bad.

Actually, if I can ignore the really painful bruise, the areas that were painful before seem a bit better, even after one short session. I'm set up for 4 more sessions (with an optional 2 additional ones if needed).

I wonder where you can purchase them?

I don't think the general public can purchase the tools (and if you could, $900-$1000 or so is a bit steep for something to use and home! Also, I don't think you could do many of the techniques on yourself--both from the odd angle, and from the discomfort that it can cause).

I use a foam roller and small balls to help with tightness. It's on the same lines, kind of.

That's what I thought before I had it done.
It's very different. The therapist basically 'scraps' the tools over the muscle/fascia, and if there are adhesions, it feels like "speed bumps." Bigger ones feel like you have a hard rippled potato chip under your skin.

The Graston technique is a form of SASTM (sound-assisted soft-tissue mobilization) (the sound, supposedly, is one the instrument makes when being scraped on you).

Here's some more info: http://www.sastm.com/ (those cute purple tools are the same ones my therapist is using on me).

Here's more specifically on the Graston technique: http://www.grastontechnique.com/

My physical therapist used these "torture tools" after my rotator cuff surgery and torn hamstring injury. It hurt like hell but I was told it was necessary to break up the scar tissue and aid proper healing. It is the real deal.

JJ

Kathryn, how interesting -- and serendipitous -- that you've just started this treatment and can answer my questions, thanks! I'd be interested in knowing how the entire series went when you're done, and whether it helps with your conditon. Hope it;s worth all the bruising and discomfort.

JJ -- glad to hear it's the real deal -- despite all the unpleasantness involved!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.