Good shoes

hopefull

Cathlete
I am having trouble with my feet. I gave up running several years ago because of this, but have been able to handle aerobics pretty well until lately. I need a good shoe. With lots of arch support and cushion to help absorb some of the stress on my feet. I was wondering if you could recommend one. There are so many out there.

Thanks
Paula:)

I also am interested in a great pair of shoes to de-stress my feet and high arches. I purchased Avia instructor shoes for several years, but they changed the sizing on them a year or two ago. Couldn't get larger than a 10 until last August, but the 10s are too small and the 11s are more roomy than I need. The 10s previously were just right. Bought the 11s and used them anyway, but now I need a new pair since I'm rolling to the outside, which is my cue that I need new shoes. I've looked at the Ryka site and would like to know if anyone has tried both the Re-Alchemy and Supra models or if the cross-trainers were as good as the aerobics shoes. The size info says they run small, but I recently purchased a pair of size 10 non-aerobics Ryka shoes on QVC and love them. I've had plenty of achy feet in my time and want the best fit, cushioning and support available. Thanks for your help.

Hi Paula,

I also need good arch support for my running and aerobics shoes. I find that Asics are the best for my feet. They are best for people with high arches. I also have narrow feet and find that they fit me well. The cushioning also seems good- my feet used to hurt too until I started wearing Asics.
Hope this helps.

Becky

:)

I have been a die-hard Ryka fan for several years, until they introduced the Supra. I had a pair and used them for a few weeks and returned them. They didn't seem to have the support or cushion of the previous Ryka models. I loved the Evolution, but you can't get it anymore. The Ryka Stylus is pretty good, but it is getting hard to find. You might try Road Runner Sports.

I did try a pair of New Balance that have good cushioning. The model number is 745. I got these at Lady Foot Locker

I can't give very much advice on the Ryka Re-Alchemy. Never tried the Alchemy, but have tried them on. They don't seem to have the cushioning of the other Ryka styles I have tried.

Good Luck,

Tina

Hi! I don't really care for the Re-Alchemy or Supra from Ryka either. They just really don't have enough cushioning - not like my OLD Rykas anyway! I keep hearing about the New Balance model 745 - I'm definitely going to have to try these! Good luck in your quest for the best shoe for you - it's hard, because everyone's feet are different!!
Sara :)

Understanding that everyones feet are different and what feels great to one person may not feel great to another....I must say that when I first put on my Rykas Cirrus aerobic shoes, I was shocked at how comfortable they were (and still are). I have always worn Asics for running because they fit my high arch but recently bought Rykas running shoes for a change and they are also comfortable. One thing I always do in both my running and aerobic shoes is replace the manufacturers insert with an extra cushioning one made specically for the workout I'm doing. I bought mine at Foot Locker and they really help to absorb the shock & jarring. Maybe that would help you too. Good luck! :D

JJ

Paula, I am always looking for a more comfortable shoe too and found that I like the Asics the best. I wear the Gel-Kayano, they are a little more expensive but they last longer for me.
Karen :)

Just thought I'd chime in here. I really love the new balance. I have 805's for crosstraining and 853's for running. They have super support and cushioning. I am pretty heavy footed, so I need something that offers a lot of cushioning...New balance has fit the bill wonderfully. Hope this helps.
Christina

If you're looking for good arch support, you might want to consider getting some orthotics. You can move them from one pair of shoes to another.

I ordered some Phase 4 orthotics from taylorgifts.com and am just getting used to them, but they have excellent support (you can get them from the phase 4 web site, but shipping and handling is $14!! for $19.95 orthotics!).

I've had a problem with sore feet for a couple of years. I finally went to a foot doctor and he recommended custom made orthotics. My insurance paid for the bulk of the cost, and I cannot tell you what a tremendous difference these have made! Nothing previously, shoes or inserts, have made the difference that these have made for my feet.

Rhonda

I'll second the cheer for custom made orthotics. I got mine through my chiropractor and now just buy running shoes that are cushioned (Asics Nimbus) instead of trying to find the right sort of over/under pronation, high arch, etc. combo that fit my feet.

Still looking for a good aerobics shoe, though. Glad to hear all the suggestions.

I too often had trouble finding comfortable shoes wear while working out. The best $20 I ever spent was to join the club at Road Runner Sports (www.roadrunnersports.com).

When you join, you get 5% off everything, upgraded shipping and one free return label per year. They give really good descriptions of the shoes and what kind of person / feet they're good for. The best part is that as a member, you also get 60 days to try stuff and send it back - even if you've worn it! I'll order 4 - 6 pairs of shoes at a time, try them out a few times and return the ones that don't work for me. (Of course, I end up keeping more than I return, but I can rationalize it - I work out 6 days a week, and different workouts require different kinds of shoes, right?)

They do carry some cross-trainers, but I've found that running shoes work best for me - I look for the ones that RRS says offer stability.

Custom orthotics all the way! They are worth every penny. I can't recommend them enough! Custom orthotics save feet! (At least they saved mine.)

Wow, thanks for all the good advice. The orhotics sound like a good options. Are they very expensive? Instead of having 5 of the small nugget shaped bones in my feet I have six. The grinding this extra bone causes is what gives me trouble. I wonder if I can get my insurance to pay for them if my doctor recommends it. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will pursue this avenue.

Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.