gluten intolerance/insulin resistance

I noticed that I was feeling sick after eating a lot of the time, so I started keeping a detailed food journal of everything I ate, and when I felt sick. I then did a lot of experimenting to see which ingredients I could keep in my diet and not feel sick, and after a few weeks of that, I diagnosed myself with lactose intolerance and a possible gluten intolerance. Then I went to my doctor with my food journal, and had a series of tests done. A blood test will diagnose Celiac disease (i.e., gluten intolerance). In some case (like mine), the blood test did not show celiac, but I do actually feel better not eating gluten. Hope this helps!

It's been so long ago that I stopped eating gluten that I hardly remember the symptoms. Some that I do remember, which cleared up within two weeks of not touching any gluten are; scalp psorasis, lots of digestion issues, joint aches and pains (similar to carpal tunnel), random skin rashes, feeling extra tired, thining hair, dry splitting nails, a constant cough and a puffiness to my entire body, especially my face (I can see it pictures when I look back). I can remember thinking to myself a couple months after going gluten free that there were symptoms that cleared up that I didn't even realize I had.

i have a lot of the symptoms you mention: puffy all the time, tired all the time, thinning hair, dandroff that won't go away, insomnia and i'm also getting skin breakouts on my arms which is a new one. i may give this a go and see what happens.

I've wonderd about the gluten though I don't have bad symptoms. I am insulin resistent though. Only found that through blood work.

I would have NO idea how to start trying to eat gluten free. I don't cook much, don't have the time, so I just don't know. I'd like to try though. I've had periods of shedding that has caused my hair to be thinner and I though an endo said it was testosterone sensitivity after an exam, I wonder if going gluten free would help.

My own story

I'm not a celiac. I think I'm gluten intolerant. I got sick last year in July/June and was sick until October. I'm still not quite right. The doctor told me I had IBS. My sister is gluten intolerant. I was tested negative for celiacs. I had tremendously bad upper GI pain from eating. If I didn't eat I sort of was ok. I had no energy and couldn't work. I had really bad insomnia. I wasn't experiencing any flash backs at the time at all. My doctor told me it was a "mind/body connection" which was bs because I've been practicing yoga for three years and my mind/body connection is really pretty good.

but I digress.

There are websites that really delve into the subject. I had a trial with wheat a few months/weeks ago and I seemed to have an adverse reaction. But, I don't really know for sure.

I do know that women with my endochrine disorder, PCOS, are overwhelmingly gluten sensitive. I also read on the endometriosis diet that women with that problem should not eat wheat. I had endometriosis at the age of 19 and had surgery to have it removed. No one had ever told me that wheat was a problem. I didn't know about that until someone else mentioned the endometriosis diet here at the Cathe forums.

Back to answering the actual post, general allergy symptoms, diahrea, constipation, feeling sluggish/tired after meals, bowel pain, headaches, transient joint pain, exhaustion.

Only thing is, those symptoms can be related to many other things. Its hard to know. You can do a elimination diet/trial where you eat only a very few foods and slowly add back in foods which might be an issue one at a time for a week or two to see if symptoms come back.

Its less hard to do than it seemed a few months ago. I don't eat commercial food hardly at all. There are gluten free products, but I won't lie, mostly they taste not so good and probably aren't that good for you anyway. The tricky items are the sauces and hidden forms of wheat like dextrose or 'flavoring' or even msg can be made from wheat. Soy sauce is wheat and soy. Tamari can be wheat free. There are online stores with gluten free products. The rice noodles are ok but the others not so much.

What I eat is fruits, vegetables, grass fed meats, foster farms chicken, some yogurt, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, butter, legumes or potatoes occasionally (I do low carb.) For grains I use buckwheat, quinoa, brown rice (rarely), an occasional gluten free cookie or corn. I make my own eats. If I'm going out I visit the restaurant's website and look for gluten free foods. They are often listed. I also read the websites of major food producers. Salad dressings are not a good scene. Some vinegars are wheat derived but supposedly those are ok.

Sorry for the waaaay long posts.

I had been having some problems off and on for what seemed like forever. Sometimes after eating I'd get terrible stomach pain. My fingers were constantly swollen, I was bloated quite often, and had trouble with constipation. After about a week of constant stomach pain (with or without eating) After a suggestion from a friend, I eliminated all wheat/gluten products from my diet for three days. I felt so much better. No more pain or constipation, my fingers aren't swollen, and I'm not bloated. I don't know if it's the wheat, the gluten, or both. I lightened up a little bit yesterday and allowed myself a few treats, and spent most of the night with a stomach ache!

One thing for sure, it makes you give up the processed foods! There are numerous cookbooks and websites for gluten-free eating. I'm pretty happy with just plain old food - veggies, fruits, egg whites, plain chicken, turkey and fish. I have been able to add oats back into my diet without any problem.

Resource for you -- Gluten-free bakery that ships!

Hey everyone!

I was interested to see this thread because my older son's friend's family (every single family member a celiac sufferer!) recently opened a really wonderful gluten-free bakery here in Atlanta. The family who own and operate the bakery have been planning this for years, and the food is just fantastic. My son's been pitching in as a volunteer staffer/baker's assistant and has been bringing home samples of their breads (sweet and savory), pastries and take & bake pizzas. Yummy!

They DO ship, too, for those of you looking for fresh and delicious gluten-free baked goods. Here's the site for you:

http://www.sallysbakery.com/

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.