Getting past a mindset

Cbelle

Cathlete
Is anyone else struggling with the concept of having to eat MORE calories to lose weight? I don't think I've eaten more than 1500 calories a day (except on days when I go WAY over that on a binge) in years! I am 5'5 and weight 145. My bodyfat is 24% and I'd like it to get into the high teens. I've been sitting on this plateau for years now. I do cardio 5-6 days a week (spinning, step, running, kickboxing, walking) and weight lift 3 days a week. I've gone back and forth between the lower carb type eating and the "just count your calories and eat healthy" type of eating. Nothing is working. I'm beginning to think I DO need to eat more calories. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I would agree that you need more calories

You're doing a lot of work, with not a whole lot of fuel. My off the cuff estimation is that you need a minimum of 1800 calories to support your activity level and lose weight. That's just based on a rough estimate that your base metabolism is probably around 1300, and you're burning at least 500 in your exercise, possibly more, and you still burn MORE in your daily activities. I'm sure you know the reasoning for why you might lose more weight with more food intake. It really is true though. If your body thinks you're starving, it will hang onto those pounds for all it's worth! :) Just make sure that your increase is of healthy foods, and not exclusively M & Ms. ;-) With the amount of cardio and weights you're doing, you need lots of protein to let those muscles rebuild. That's not to say you shouldn't treat yourself, just that MOST of the increase should be the healthy stuff. :)

I know it's counter-intuitive. I know it's hard to break the habits of years of eating. But this really is what's best for your body. It's trying to tell you with this plateau that it isn't getting what it needs to be its best. If you're really struggling with eating more ( since stomach size gets used to a certain amount of food intake ) you can accomplish some of the same things by reducing the amount, intensity, and/or frequency of your workouts. What you're really trying to do is make sure that you have enough fuel to support your activity level and kick your body out of starvation mode. You can do that by fiddling with either or both sides of the equation.

Good luck!

Erin

RE: I would agree that you need more calories

I'm not sure about burning 500 cals on exercise. I wear a heart rate monitor and it generally comes out to 300ish. But thats besides the point. I'm trying to figure out how to up to 1800 a day. My normal day looks something like this:

eggs and toast (1 whole 2 whites) for breakfast
1/2 tuna sandwich mid morning
2 burritoes made with chicken (3 oz) on small corn tortillas
2 cookies for afternoon snack
some sort of meat (3 oz), 1/2 potato, veggies for dinner
protein bar for nighttime snack.

All in all that comes out to 1450 cals. I guess what I'll do is up the calories to 1800 and see what happens. The whole fitness, nutrition world is so confusing. What works for one person does not necessarily work for another. But if it were easy I guess we'd all look like Cathe.

A few random thoughts

If you wanted to increase your sample menu by 300 or so calories, you could add a glass of milk or juice and/or a piece of fruit to your breakfast, add fruit or yogurt to your lunch or maybe some cut up fresh veggies, have the whole potato and 5 or 6 oz of meat. It doesn't take long to add up. I also noticed that you're very light on the fruits and veggies, so maybe some of the increases could be in that area.

Re: calories and the HRM, that's so individual that I don't know how accurate the HRM estimation is. I don't think it's accurate at all when it comes to calories burned during and after weight training, because it isn't the heart where most of the work is happening. It's in the individual muscles worked. But really, it doesn't come down to exact numbers anyway. If it was as simple as calories in equals calories out, it would be a lot easier to achieve and maintain our weight! :)

As you said, what works for 1 person doesn't necessarily work for another. The key is to experiment and find out what works for YOU! :) Good luck!!

Erin

Hi--I no longer weigh myself or count calories. When I was living that way, I wasn't really happy and I became OBSESSED with food. Just my opinion but I think if you eat healthy food in moderation and treat yourself every so often, you'll be fine. You're working out which is excellent. I have to say that agree w/the other posters---you ARE NOT eating enough calories to fuel your body. I'd bet that's why your stuck in that plateau. The fact that you binge is a signal, too. I know it's hard to change your way of thinking about it---the old "oh my God, if I eat more than ________ calories a day, I'll get fat." Trust your instincts--eat when you are hungry and if you have a craving, indulge it in MODERATION. Not only will your body be happy, but you will feel 100% better. Suzanna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.