Getting back into fitness career after 10 year "layoff" - wish me luck!

stephl

Cathlete
I'm kind of scared! I was a Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor and Nutrition & Weight Loss Consultant for abour 6 years prior to having my son - 10 years ago! After being a SAHM and living abroad during the past 10 years, we are now resettled back in the States (1 year now!) and I am getting ready to re-enter the fitness field. I'm taking the ACE Personal Trainer certfication in April. I was previously certified as an ACE Personal Trainer, ACE Group Fitness Instructor, ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, and ACSM Health Fitness Instructor. I worked full-time as a trainer and was one of the top trainers at my health club. So, I certainly had the knowledge and experience 'back in the day.'

While I am excited to be getting back into my career, I am also anxious. Do I still have it? Will I be able to find a job, much less clients? I am a reasonably fit (but working to get much fitter and leaner) 39 year old average suburban mom. There are a couple new big health clubs opening in the next several months in my area, which I am going to apply with. There are also lots of already established clubs. I just want a part-time job - somebody hire me!

So, am I delusional, or will I be able to re-enter the field and be successful?

Wish me luck w/ that, and the ACE test - I am totally studying my butt off. Had a lot of the material in college and grad school, but that was a long time ago, LOL!:eek:

RE: Getting back into fitness career after 10 year

Good luck!! You can do it! I passed the ACE Group Fitness Intructor test back in November and found out I was pregnanct a couple weeks later.

I'm hoping I get to actually get to use the certification some time after the baby's born. :)

You'll be great. I did this exact same thing, I took 10 years off to have kids. I didn't do the PT, just group x, but it was much better the second time around. I think I was a better instructor. And I found a club with a coordinator that I loved. I wasn't willing to "settle" the second time. I've since given it up - I went to nursing school and now my schedule as a new nurse is too unpredictable - but good luck to you. I am planning to start working the weekend-only program when I have gotten my year in, and who knows, maybe I'll do it all again! I taught so many different things at my club, I did spinning, aqua, kickbox, pilates, even yoga. The only one I didn't do was hiphop. Loved getting into yoga. Started off teaching advanced step - and you better believe there were some Cathe moves in there! ha.

Hey, thanks everyone! One part of my mind (and my DH) says "You can do it - you'll be awesome!" The self-doubting part of my mind is what gets to me at times. Gotta stay focused and positive.:)

I figure I have some life experience that a younger trainer (like my younger self) won't have - I've had a child, dealt w/ PPD, know how crazy life can get w/ family/work/children's schedules. That's gotta count for something!

I'm considering doing the same thing. Best of luck and I'll be cheering you on! :)

Charlene

Good luck, Stephanie, we are all behind you ;-)

Marcia

Marcia

Marcia

What are you afraid of exactly?

I am almost 42 and personally, I think my age and experience is working to my advantage. Many women erroneously think that they can't get in shape once they hit 40. Well, we know that is NOT true. :wink

Since you were the top trainer 10 years ago, I think you have what it takes to get back up there!

You'd think that with the popularity of searching for info on the internet, people would be more informed regarding fitness - they're not. If I had a dime for every woman who says "But, I don't want to get huge and bulky" . . . .

I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find out that the only people who want to work with a young trainer are young themselves. I tend to work with women in their 30's and up and have a lot of rapport with them because I can relate to them.

Good luck,

Shayne

Good luck Stephanie! I am 36 years old and getting ready to take my ACE PT certification exam on Monday (eeks!) so I can totally relate to how you feel. So far the response from potential clients has been really positive and I think you will find that it is for you as well, especially with all that experience!

Be sure to keep us updated :)

Coni

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back