functional fitness?

jcm

Cathlete
cathe - i run for all of my cardio. i love it and the more i do it the more addictive it becomes. recently i've been reading about runners and weight training. apparently a lot of runners don't use any weights because they fear the bulk will slow them down (this isn't the case with me - i still weight train two days/week).

i've been hearing a lot lately about functional fitness and how it is weight training on multiple planes of movement. it works balance, builds muscle but is functional for daily life and infury prevention. what does all of this mean? do you ever teach classes in this?

You might want to check out tracielongtraining.com. She (and her entire crew) make incredible functional fitness routines. There is also alot of good information over there. Aside from Cathe and some beachbody info, it is one of my favorite fitness sites! Enjoy!

Since this is the "Ask Cathe" forum, should we, perhaps, be directing folks to other instructors sites on the "Open Discussion" forum?

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." Mark Twain ;-)

Hi JCM! Functional fitness has certainly become a huge buzz word, especially so in the last 5 or 6 years. Functional fitness training basically trains your body to become stronger in ways that translate to real life activities. Functional exercises work muscles and joints through the planes and angles needed for daily activities, such as lifting, pushing, pulling, reaching, turning, and bending. These exercises enhance specific movements and skills needed for essential tasks such as driving, sitting, gardening, walking, climbing, etc. Having functional strength means the muscular system is capable of doing a range of everyday tasks safely and effectively.

I personally feel that while functional fitness training is a wonderful thing, it is important for people to integrate both functional fitness exercises along with traditional strength training exercises, as well as cardiovascular conditioning to achieve the optimum benefits of overall fitness, health and vitality. Of course healthy living and eating play a big role in this big picture too.

Yes, I do incorporate functional fitness exercises in my classes. As a matter of fact the new workouts, which I'm currently unable to film at this time, have functional fitness exercises integrated into the workouts too.

There are definitely many trainers and fitness programs out there promoting functional fitness. As a matter of fact our new facility even has a functional fitness training room. It is a wonderful asset to a well rounded fitness program.

:)

The Ask Cathe Forum

Hi Everyone! I once again would like to remind everyone to please take a moment and read the Ask Cathe post pinned at the top of the page.

Thank You :)

Hi Cathe- you are peaking my interest about your new workouts!! I am so looking forward to them. But first, of course, I want you to take great care of yourself, and take the time your body needs to fully heal. But whenever you are fully healed, it will be awesome to have those new workouts. They sound so exciting. Functional fitness moves huh? I can hardly wait. Helen:7

Cathe - thanks for your explanation and opinion on this! I do have a follow-up question now, given the answer you gave. If I begin incorporating functional fitness routines, what would be the best way to do it while still keeping traditional strength training? Would it be beneficial to, for example, focus on funcitonal moves one month and traditional the next month?

Cathe - Thank you so much for the information. I am thrilled you're going to incorporate it as part of your workouts :) . I agree with you that focusing only on functional fitness leaves you lacking in other areas so I'm very excited about your plans to incorporate it as a part of your workouts without making it the sole focus of them. You are the best, Cathe :D !

Exactly what I was thinking, Shadow! Well said! I get more and more excited for these new workouts everyday! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.