For those who use flax

julier

Cathlete
I bought some flax seeds which I intend to grind as I go along. Do you keep the seeds in the refrigerator or just the ground flax. How long can you keep it ground? TIA

Julie

The seeds will last quite a while out of the refrigerator, but even longer if refrigerated, so I usually keep them refrigerated. Ground flax doesn't last as long as whole before startiing to go rancid, but it lasts longer than the oils. If it's refrigerated, I'd say a little under a week (maybe more, but it's nice to have as fresh as possible). I usually grind about 1/2 cup at a time (whatever my grinder will hold) and keep it in a Rubbermade plastic container.

Thanks Kathryn - I'll do the same. Since I'm new to this, can I ask you how much you are currently taking daily?

Julie

When I sprinkle it on oatmeal, I use about a tablespoon. But lately, I've been eating cereal and drinking Silk enriched soy milk that contain it already, so I haven't used the ground stuff for a while.

I found a great "coffee" grinder at Zellers department store here in Toronto. It's made by Westinghouse. It's white, has a top loading canister of clear plastic where you pour in your seeds and has a front clear plastic canister to catch the grinds as they come out of the machine.

You just have to load the top feeding canister about once a week, then grind individual servings every day.

And it's only about $15-$20 Can.

PURRRFECT!

Patricia

I use between 1 and 2 heaping tablespoons of the ground stuff (freshly ground in a coffee grinder each time I use it, and stored in the freezer while whole) but I don't eat it every day, maybe 3-4 times a week. I also eat walnuts, hemp oil in salads and pumpkin seeds as other sources of Omega 3s.

I don't get to the health-food store often, so I buy several packages of flax seed and keep the extra in the freezer and the current package in the fridge. I grind mine when I use it, so I don't know how long it keeps. I have a Braun hand-mixer with the chopper attachment, which makes for fast, easy grinding.

I add the flax meal to smoothies, and I like it on oatmeal. I sure would appreciate a few more suggestions, however. How does everyone else use their flax meal?

Thanks,

Carol F

Thanks everyone - I do like the taste and texture. I don't know what took me so long to start using it.

Julie

How long does it last in gel capsuals? Is flax better than omega 3,6,9? I take the omegas in gel capsuals. Does this need I to take flax? My mother made pancakes today with oatmeal, flax, wwflour, and blueberries. That was the first time I'd ever had it.

~Reece Out~

lcsavik 85....I have read that flax is better in the natural form..seeds or ground rather than the capsule as the heat used in making the capsule looses the polynutrients in the original form...:)...Carole

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.