for fat loss which is better....BFL/P90X type vs ....

Cbelle

Cathlete
I'm looking to lose approx 20lbs of fat.....My cardio endurance has gone down the tubes lately and I've dropped from an advanced exerciser to an intermediate. I have 5-6 months to do this. Which do you thinkis better....

Body For Life
P90X
Cathe hour lng cardios plus endurance style weights (4 cardios, 2 full bodys)
Cathe even split between cardios and weights (using Gym Style, SH or PS)
Circuits + cardio
Body Pump 2x/wk along with 4x/wk Body Combat/Body Step for cardio

Basically, I got carried away there. My basic question is, should I go heavy on the cardio and do endurance weights, or should I do BFL/P90X which is much lighter on cardio andheavier weights. Then my second question might be, should I look to do 3 months with one style and 3 months with another? If so, which one first, which one second?

Then as far as diet, if I did BFL I'd follow that traditional type eating of a protein and carb every meal. Also a possibility is just regular old Weight Watchers. So I've got 4 styles, what combo of each will get me where I want to be?

Hopethis wasnt too confusing LOL TIA!

Of course, what works best for me is different from what works best for you. That said......... I would pick Cathe one-body-part-per-day split and cardio [of varying intensities].

HTH! Good luck!

If I were you, I'd put the main focus on tightening up the diet since that accounts for 80% of it all.

As for workouts, everyone is different! Most here seem to love the one part a day, I prefer the 2-3 total body strength or circuits a week for my very short limbs.

RE: for fat loss which is better....BFL/P90X type vs .....

I did a full P90X rotation that ended in April and have been focusing on endurance lifting since then. In both the X and now with the endurance lifting (BBC and then SS) I have only been doing 2-3 days per week of cardio. I used to do 5-6. The decrease in cardio has worked wonders for me!:+ I have leaned out and have gotten definition in my muscles like never before! You could do it with Cathe work outs too. I don't think that would matter. Ofcourse, like the posters above said...everyone is different but that is what worked for me!

Best of luck with your decision!:)

Arrrggg!!! I was afraid I'd get conflicting responses! LOL Oh how I wish there was a one answer fits all!!!! This is why I was thinking of splitting up my 6 months into two blocks of 3 months. Try one thing (heavcy weights) and then the other (lighter weights and lots of cardio).....just not sure what to do first. I mean, which makes more logical sense...build the muscle and then lean it out or lean out the body and then build the muscle? To me, leaning and then builidng makes more sense as you can see how much muscle you are putting on and can then stop when you get as "big" as you like. I've always heard you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time, at least, not very easily so it also makes sense to first lose fat and then build. So I'm guessing first, lots of cardio with weights (BodyPump, Cathe stuff, SS, stuff like that I guess?) and then hit P90X pretty hard I guess or more heavy Cathe stuff...possibly her new series?

CTX sounds like it might also nicely fit the bill...any other opinions?

It is all very confusing! First of all, I'm no expert! If I were in your position, I'd probably want to concentrate on dropping some pounds first through diet, cardio and circuits. Once I got closer to my goal weight, I would focus on building muscle and reducing my body fat %. But, that's me.

I don't know how fast you normally lose weight. If you lost 2 pounds a week, that would be 10 weeks. So your plan of cardio and circuits for the first three months sounds good. If you find yourself not getting anywhere after a month of two, you could always start the X earlier.

I'm currently in Phase 3 of the X. While I have only recently lost a few pounds, my measurements are a lot smaller. I didn't have much weight I needed to lose though.

Best wishes for finding what's right for you!

Wendy

Ok, assuming I decide to concentrate for 3 months on cardio and circuits, does anyone have a rotation suggestion? I have all the FIRMS (AWT sounds like it would fit here) all of Cathes, SLim Series, and access to a gym. I'm willing and able to do 6 days a week but prefer only one hour long workouts.....HELP!

I lost 19 lbs on the first 6 weeks of a P90X rotation and a very clean diet...:)

>I lost 19 lbs on the first 6 weeks of a P90X rotation and a
>very clean diet...:)

Oh my gosh, Carole! I had no idea you even had 19 pounds to lose! I would never have thought so.
WOW! What results! You rock! :)

I would concentrate on diet and clean eating. Then pick one of the cardio that you enjoy so you will stick with it. What you choose it has to be what you like and fits your lifestyle. That way you will stick with it!
Ellen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.