? for Cathe about S&H plie squats

KimberlyH

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!
I hope you're doing well and enjoying a healthy pregnancy. I have a question about the plie squats in S&H. Is there any benefit to holding the weight as you do (dumbbell between the legs) that is lost if you use a loaded barbell on your shoulder instead?

I'm just now getting into the S&H workouts and they are awesome! My body really responds to the slower tempo lifting, so I think I will be rotating these workouts with the PS workouts on a regular basis. If I haven't said this a million times already, thank you for all you do! :)

I have wondered about this myself, as I do not want to purchase a heavy dumbell and do the workout with a 40 lb barbell over the shoulders instead.

Same here :) I have dumbbell bars which would allow me to make a 40# dumbbell, but I prefer the ease of using a barbell, plus I feel I can go heavier that way.
But every time I do this particular exercise I wonder if I am missing something by not doing it with the dumbbell as Cathe is.
great question :)!
Donna

I'll take a shot at this, altho obviously I'm not Cathe -

I think the reason for using a 40# dumbbell in the S&H series is as a pre-exhaust before any barbell on shoulders work. One reality regarding leg strengthening is that, because the thigh muscles are so big, they become capable of bearing more weight after a certain point than an exerciser can safely hoist over her head and onto her shoulders, and that her torso strength can sustain as well. Thus the pre-exhaust set with heavy dumbbell held beneath the shoulders.

That said, my guess is if you can safely lift that load over your head and onto your shoulders, and your torso and shoulders can sustain the weight during the slow reps, going the barbell route would certainly be warranted.

Miss Cathe, if I'm off on this please let me know!

Annette

I suspect Cathe will tell us it doesn't matter and to do whatever you are most comfortable with. However, I do wonder if by putting the weight in front of your body with a dumbbell, or even perhaps with a barbell like in MIS, if you put a slight bit more emphasis on the quads and take it off the hamstrings and glutes, just a bit.

I also use a barbell behind the neck. I have dumbbells with plates I can interchange, but I just don't trust them. In the past during a heavy lifting phase they slide right off when doing this very thing, a plie squat with weights low in front.

Jeanne

Perhaps ...

Thanks, Annette, but Cathe uses a 50 lb. barbell for regular squats and lunges before she does the plie squats. The plie squats are the last exercise, except for the calf raises.

What about...?

Hi-
What about holding two twenty lb dumbbells, instead of the one 40#? I am thinking that it might work to hold the two in front of you like you would the one big 40#?
(I have the same problem in that the plates always slide off my dumbbell bar too.)

Has anybody ever tried that?
Lynn

RE: What about...?

My solid steel/iron (?) dumbells like the one Cathe uses, i.e., ones that don't require little bars and plates, only go up to 15 pounds. So for me that would only be 30, definately not enough for S&H. I do "create" 20's with plates, and I feel safe using them for chest presses and dumbbell rows (they only slide off when in a vertical position). But I think they would be too wide if held horizontally in front of me. For the record, I would also never use those 20's for pullovers. I use my barbell for them too. Jeanne

RE: What about...?

I've tried holding twenty pound dumbbells to do this and can't seem to find a comfortable way to hold them? One each hand wears my hands and arms out really fast and I have trouble getting my hands around 2 of them held together? Anybody else tried this?

Hi Kimberly! Having the weight load down in this location creates variety and also seems to emphasize a deeper stretch at the bottom of the squat.. This therefore challenges the adductors a bit more. This could be more mental than physical stimulation but many seem focus more and go deeper into the stretch when holding the dumbbell this way. However, it is also fair to say that this position causes some discomfort in the forearms while trying to maintain the grip when the weight load is heavy. For this reason we have shown a variety of ways for you to hold the dumbell and/or use a barbell on your shoulders. Comfort comes first. Take care!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.