Foods you're too scared to try?

I could never do eyeballs. I always imagine that some liquid will come out and squirt me in the eye. I can't even stand looking at fish eyes and demand that the head be cut off prior to eating it.

So... something will come out of one eye and squirt into another eye?

How about okra? I love to eat it in gumbo but it is almost like eating snot if you eat it plain.

I agree with you Janie, no Okra for me. Love Brussels Sprouts though.

I will not eat wild asparagus, it looks exactly like young poison oak. I will not eat wild mushrooms, liver damage is just not worth the risk.

I won't eat Dalo, a Fijian root vegetable. Blech.

I won't eat lima beans. It's a texture thing.

The Sushi Virgin thread gave me the inspiration for this:

Does anyone besides me have foods they think will taste so horrible that they've never tried one little bite?

For me, eel sushi will not happen nor will Tofutti "ice cream" or pigs feet or tripe.

Any other cuisine scaredy-cats out there?

Well, there are definitely food "nos" on my list, but I have to step in on behalf of the soy ice cream - there are several varieties that are delicious! And coconut milk ice cream is incredible!

I am usually a bit more adventurous than some of my dining companions, but I have to say, I didn't do too well with sushi the one time I attempted to eat it. California roll ended up being OK, but I would like to try it again since so many people rave about it.

Definitely will never eat any organs...ugh!

I'm scared to try raw seafood, actually any raw animal flesh. Tofu, I can't get down with that at all.

Has anyone ever seen an episode of Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel? The host is named Andrew Zimmern and he goes around the world and eats anything and everything the locals serve him - and I mean anything. ANYTHING. And he often loves what he eats. My friend loves that show and when I visit and have to watch it I sit there most of the time fascinated that he can eat that stuff?

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Bizarre_Foods

We watch this show sometimes also. There are times when I have to look away. He will eat anything and he always tells you how tasty it is. :p

I've eaten some odd things (camel, rattlesnake) so I'll pretty much try anything except grubs or worms or larvae, things like that. :D

I'm more afraid of some of the things I see advertised by Taco Bell. It all looks like deep-fried glop to me.

How about this? It's bacon and ground pork sausage baked inside a chocolate bar. (from the This is why You're Fat website) :D

tumblr_kx5bapBrBC1qzvnxpo1_r1_500.jpg

I could never do eyeballs. I always imagine that some liquid will come out and squirt me in the eye. I can't even stand looking at fish eyes and demand that the head be cut off prior to eating it.

Count me in with those who won't eat an eyeball. Thinking about it I would also not eat liver, tongue or testicles.

If you don't mind me asking. What is Fugu? Sounds exotic.

Hi Zola - Definitely exotic. Fugu is a Japanese delicacy. It's actually a type of pufferfish that's served raw/sashimi style and can be lethally poisonous if not prepared correctly.

It's like the food version of base jumping. :p

Oh my gosh, that is so true!!! Almost everything disgusting has to do with animals. There is nothing disgusting in the plant kingdom, is there? Except for brussel sprouts... I really don't like those (but I do like eggplant ;)).

Melissa

I have heard the Dorian fruit smell is pretty much down right disgusting, learned about it on the Anthony Bourdain show. I think the taste is also one of those acquired kind of things.

Sweetbreads, just can't get myself to try them. I used to think they were brains (which I won't try either), but found out on a food show, they are actually pancreas and thymus glands.

Well, there are definitely food "nos" on my list, but I have to step in on behalf of the soy ice cream - there are several varieties that are delicious! And coconut milk ice cream is incredible!

I have to agree. Before I gave up soy I really loved the occasional Tofutti bar. Those were scrumptious! And I love Larry/Luna's Coconut Bliss. Pure coconut, agave and no dairy or gluten. Its awesome. But really coconutty so if you don't like the coconut milk in a can don't buy it.

I have to agree. Before I gave up soy I really loved the occasional Tofutti bar. Those were scrumptious! And I love Larry/Luna's Coconut Bliss. Pure coconut, agave and no dairy or gluten. Its awesome. But really coconutty so if you don't like the coconut milk in a can don't buy it.

Oh yes - Tofutti Cuties! SOOOOOO wonderful. The key lime flavor is a big favorite around here, followed by the chocolate-peanut butter.

Like the other vegans, I find that there are not many foods from plants that are gross. Although I am wary of Kimchi. My advisor used to eat it ALL THE TIME and it just looked...unappealing to me. But I understand it's an acquired taste.

I have heard the Dorian fruit smell is pretty much down right disgusting, learned about it on the Anthony Bourdain show. I think the taste is also one of those acquired kind of things.

Durian may actually be one plant that I'm too scared to try!

I have two durians in my freezer right now (I haven't gotten up the courage to try them, reading things like "smells like hell, tastes like heaven" or descriptions of first tastes like "a combination of custard, sweat socks and a slight hint of vomit..but it wasn't bad" or seeing Youtube videos of some guy who takes durian to a party and nobody wants to be around him because of his durian breath--that can supposedly last for hours. Though I've also read that frozen durian doesn't have the odor problem that fresh does).

Other plants that skeer me : non-organic produce from Mexico (Monsanto produces highly toxic chemical that are banned for use in the US because of this--and since there are so many not-that-healthy things that the government doesn't ban, it must be serious--but are sold to Mexico and South America and come back to us in the stores). Also, food-related items (bowls, pots and pans, etc.) and processed food products from China.

I am wary of Kimchi. My advisor used to eat it ALL THE TIME and it just looked...unappealing to me. But I understand it's an acquired taste.
Kimchi!
I had a roomate who loved it, and he got a really horrible smelling type (I can't imagine all kimchi would smell that bad!).

Oh my gosh Kathryn, . durian, . is by far the foulest, . .most disgusting, . . . ickiest veggie on the face of the earth. Who ever mentioned durian wins the prize. I'd eat fish eyes any day of the week instead of durian. Even Andrew Zimmerman hates durian and that man eats everything. It is one of those things that smells as bad as it tastes. I kid you not. Kim chee on the other hand, . .may smell bad but just tastes like cabbages with spices that are pickled. You need a stomach for it because it is SPICY.

Kathryn, where did you even FIND it?? Seriously, if I ever need to locate an exotic food, I'm coming to you!

Oh and to the poster hesitant about kimchi, I love it! Sometimes it will have anchovy or "brined shrimp" paste which can turn people off, and does not work out for vegans of course. I seem to prefer kimchi in restaurants than when I buy it in a jar.

Durian may actually be one plant that I'm too scared to try!

I have two durians in my freezer right now

Kathryn, where did you even FIND it?? Seriously, if I ever need to locate an exotic food, I'm coming to you!
I found it in an asian market, in the freezer. (I was looking for baby coconut, but had no luck). It came frozen, and would be a lethal weapon if thrown at somebody, because it's all covered in spikes (it's already poked holes in a couple of seed bags in my freezer!).

I have read that durian is not picked, but one has to wait until it falls, and it drops only at night. I imagine getting knocked on the head by a falling durian would not be a pleasant experience!

Now I'm even skeerder to try it! LOL!
I have heard that it makes a nice custardy pudding when combined with coconut meat (or, since that's hard to find around here--or, I should say, impossible so far---some coconut cream or blended dried coconut).

Oh and to the poster hesitant about kimchi, I love it! Sometimes it will have anchovy or "brined shrimp" paste which can turn people off, and does not work out for vegans of course. I seem to prefer kimchi in restaurants than when I buy it in a jar.

Agreed. Kathryn, . .where on earth do you live? The only time I have access to exotic foods is when I'm in San Francisco. Now I live in the middle of po dunk no where. We only have 1 semi "real" sushi place.
Kimchi, . .I love it too. I love spicy stuff though, . . Thi food, yum, yum a vegetarian's dream restaurant in my opinion.

Agreed. Kathryn, . .where on earth do you live? The only time I have access to exotic foods is when I'm in San Francisco. Now I live in the middle of po dunk no where. We only have 1 semi "real" sushi place.
LOL!
I live amidst corn and soybean fields, so if this isn't podunk nowhere, I don't know what is! I was actually very surprised to find it (the store I was at is in a less-podunky town 50 minutes away from me...where 'civilization' starts. :p)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.