Food processor vs. blender

jcm

Cathlete
Can someone explain to me what exactly the difference is? I have a blender, but as I get more and more into cooking a lot of things call for a food processor. I usually use the blender instead. Is it worth investing in the food processor? I've now invested in 3 expensive Pampered Chef knives and LOVE them. Any help info would be great!

Jen

Your blender is alway going to turn stuff to mush or liquid. Whereas a food processor can give you more of a fine chop. Plus it comes with different blades that will allow you to make shreds of things like a cheese grater would. I find my food processor way more useful than my blender. I can pie dough or bread dough in my processor, but not a blender!

I have both a blender (Vitamix) and a food processor, and use both.

IMO, both are an essential kitchen tool. Each will give a different texture.

Who knew I was missing out on a kitchen essential all this time! Thanks for the input. Looks like I have a purchase in the near future!

food processors

Can somebody recommend a good one? I need to buy one soon. I would use it mainly to chop veggies and salad materials. Thanks.

Can somebody recommend a good one? I need to buy one soon. I would use it mainly to chop veggies and salad materials. Thanks.

I have a 7-cup Cuisinart (prepping food mostly just for myself) and I love it, though I've had it for about 7 years, and I've heard that newer ones might not be built as well.

IIRC, Kitchenaid has some with two bowls: one larger (maybe 11 cups?) and one smaller (maybe 4?), which would make it more flexible.

I've got the KitchenAid with 2 bowls - one nests inside of the other and you can use it that way. So if you need to chop one onion, you don't need to dirty the large bowl. I love it!! It's got a more aethetically pleasing appearance than the Cuisinart - which is very boxy (in my opinion). You also can't do liquids in a food processor, hence the need for the blender (they leak). You definitely need both.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.