Floor mats for under my step?

tricia

Cathlete
Hello everyone! I was working out the other day on my hardwood floors with my step and went skidding across the floor! (That darn high-gloss finish!). I was wondering if anyone has a similar situation and has come up with some ingenius solution? My DH suggested putting my yoga sticky-mat under the step...HHHMMMM. I would like to get something that would cover a nice area so that I am walking,jumping, etc. on the same surface. Maybe something that would muffle the noise of my power moves (Especially those on the step) since I do my workout on the other side of the wall from my baby's nursery while she's sleeping!! I remember someone mentioned Home Depot had mats of some sort which I am going to try and find, but I'm looking for any other ideas from people who've had success using them. Since nobody works out like a Cathe devotee, I know this is the best place for my question!!

Thanks!!

Tricia:

I use a yoga sticky mat and do fine with it. It holds the step in place and doesn't trip me when I move on and off of it on my way to and from the board. I do wish it were bigger sometimes for that totally even surface you mention, but it works.

--Ann

You might go to huggermugger dot com and see if they could cut a custom size sticky mat for you. That way you could get the width and the length you wanted.

Sams Club (at least the one in Manchester CT) has the Home Depot mats with 8 of them in a pack and 2 sides have the edges so you don't see the ends when you put them together on sale for the same price as 4 without the edges. In other words, for an 8 pack of mats (4' x 8' or so) approx. $17 which is what you would pay for 4 of the Home Depot kind (they are the same because I bought both kinds and they are interchangeable). I use them under my step and my step does not move or make noises. I also like to stretch on those kinds of mats since they are much thicker than a yoga mat (1/2").

Sheila

Thanks for all your replies-I'm going to check out Modell's and Sam's Club. I went to Home Depot.com and couldn't find anything there. Also went to greatmats.com, but you have to buy at least 9 squares, which is $71.99! More than I want to spend, ya know! I really appreciate the help. I did BodyMax today with the sticky mat under the step and that was actually pretty good...but as I said, if I can find something to cover the whole area if at all possible.
Keep the ideas coming, I'll let you know if I find anything!!

Thanks so much,

FYI - The mats that I got from Modell's have rounded edges, so the only thing that you see - once it's put together is a very large smooth square.;-)

hi tricia :)

ya know, we just got hard wood floors put into our house a couple of months ago, and i was having a hard time with not only cushion but noise as well. i tried the squares from home depot/lowes but found i had to use so many to give myself enough space to go over end to end and back and forth..so..instead...i did a kinda wild thing...

i bought gymnastic mats! yep..'gymnastic mats'...mine are 2 5x10's that velcro together (10x20) ..and i put them under my step and i have plenty of room all the way around it, and also for when i do hi-lo. i can zip across my whole room. :) the only down sides would be the fact that it's a bit 'tacky/sticky'..since it's made for gymnastics..tough to pivot at times (but not terrible) ..and a bit pricey...but, it's been a great investment for me..and i have 2 boys who love to play on them, too.

i know my mats are a bit weird/extreme..but thought i'd just share what i've tried, in case it might give you some ideas or food for thought! :D

take care!
bq

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.