Fitness goals for the fall and winter months?

Charli

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-02 AT 12:27PM (Est)[/font][p]I was just curious what everyone had planned (fitness-wise) for the coming months..........................????

I think I am going to try to incorporate running into my workouts. I purchased a treadmill back in November for my birthday (I used to run 5 miles/ a day, but stopped in '00), and swore that it would never EVER become a "piece of furniture", but yet..............it has!!!! It sits in my home gym collecting dust bunnies, eagerly waiting for me to engage it in a workout or any type of attention, but yet.................I don't!! I would love to dust it off and get moving on it (correction....I AM going to dust it off and get moving on it!!!). I would also like to be able to actually "complete" Leaner Legs in its entirety by the spring. That is such a brutal workout and no matter how much I try, I can't do the whole thing. Oh well, we'll see what happens!! I also hope to begin eating a much "cleaner" diet and to introduce flax seed into my meals (does anyone else use flax?).

Good luck to everyone on their journey to fitness and fitness goals!!!!!!!!

Hi Charlie,
Even though it is not yet fall, I've started on my new plan. I'm trying to focus on one thing for 6 weeks then move on. I often try to do everything every week; strength gains, endurance lifting and lots of cardio. I think I've been working against myself.

So for the first six weeks its heavy lifting and less cardio. For the second six weeks it will be endurance lifting and a little more cardio and the next six weeks I hope to focus on intervals with maintenance lifting.

Oh and on the eating front, shift my eating to fit my workouts - more protein in the first six weeks and no cutting calories. Still heavy on the protein but cut a few calories in the second six weeks and the third six is a more 'normal' amount of protein and up the carbs some. The eating is the biggest challenge for me because I just love really fattening desserts-in huge quantities, of course.

Oh yes, I do eat flax seed. I try for 2T ground each day. I buy it whole and grind it with a coffe bean grinder. I mix it in oatmeal and in yogurt. Sometimes I have cold cereal and I'll sprinkle it on that.

I would like to have a treadmill to do interval running on. (no space) I think it is more gentle on the knees then sidewalks and streets. I gave up running because the repetitive pounding was really hurting my knee. So dust that baby off and take it "out for a drive" Hang in with Leaner Legs. No advice, just empathy.

-joy

Sounds weird, but I actually look forward to winter here in Minneapolis. It just seems more "settled". And I just adore cross country skiing. I'm way too "wussy" to try downhill.

I'm going out on a big brave limb and declaring that I'd like to reduce my body fat and increase my muscle mass. I looked at myself in those mirrors at the "club" during cardio-box class, and I look like a big gushy marshmallow. Got to fix that.

I can't wait till Cathe gets those new workouts to me. I think that will realy get me motivated at a critical time. Winter gets long and cold and hard here, I have a feeling Cathe can really heat it up!

Have great weekend.

Julie

Unfortunatly running is going to come to a stop when the winter comes.It is way to slippery.
My goal for the up comming 3 monthes is the body for life program.I started the program on Sunday and according to the scales I am already down 2 pounds.The diet as alot to do with clean eating.Today went really well but the days before that I was having cravings.Anyway,hope all of our goals work out for all of us.
Good Luck,
Lori

Well, I really am a summer gal, but I am SO EXCITED about being able to get back on the mountains for some good trail runs. Here in Phoenix, time kinda stands still in the summer...It will be so nice to run in 50-60 degree weather again. I have been cooped up doin' Cathe's all summer!!! Time to crosstrain!! I think my body really needs it too....

Charli,

Do you get Runner's World magazine? It always motivates me to get moving on my treadmill and gives me new ideas for workouts. This month's issue has a great article about George W. Bush and his running, as well as an article about the perfect 4 day training plan for runners. I plan to try that training plan for a while, alternated with strength training.

Rhonda

I saw a similar post on another forum and have been thinking about my response but didn't feel compelled to respond. I want to put my goals in writing somewhere that I will have to really work on it.

I'm in school working on my MBA so I will be very busy in the coming weeks. I should finish this year. Ok, here goes....

I'm 5'5", weigh 150 lbs. My goal is to lose 10 lbs by Christmas and to have those tank top arms that I've been working on. I'm going to complete the tank top rotation in 6 weeks. I will move on to one of the weight loss rotations at that time. I'm going to work out 4 to 6 times a week. I want to tone up. If the weight doesn't come off, I will not be disappointed as long as I am firm in the middle. I am not trying to spot reduce, that is just where my weight sits. So, if the jiggles go away there, I will be happy. I will take my measurements consistently on the first of every month and record them. I will increase my cardio if it means getting up early one morning a week.

Non-fitness related, I want to read my Bible more. I want to read Romans and I Corinthians by Thanksgiving.

It's odd that I didn't feel the need to respond to this topic on the other forum but was compelled to do it here. Maybe I think this group is more serious about fitness because there isn't so much "other chatter" here. Thank you for that!

Ok there it is in writing. I've printed it out for my journal--now I have to stick to it! Thanks for posting this, Charli!

Deborah

I love the fall and winter months being in Wisconsin. I'm actually excited for summer to be over!! :eek: I've been thinking about my new goals a lot this week. I've been home sick with 2 sick children so I've had time to comtemplate!
I like where I'm at muscular wise, I'd like to reduce my body fat about 5-10 pounds. I've already started increasing my cardio a bit more while still weight training 2-3 days a week. I also want to watch my carb intake better. I tend to LOVE my carbs but thay don't love me in return! ;-)
I've written down my "goals" and hope to remain focused on them. It's always a challenge during the holidays but I find as long as I stay true to my exercise,I can cheat a bit!
Best of luck to everyone with their goals! Susan

Hi! I'm going to do the PS: series for at least 6wks and see what that does for me. And add the advanced TM workout one day a week for cardio. I'm just running now outside while it's summer. I'm looking forward.

I'm trying to lose bodyfat (a LOT of bodyfat) and build up my mileage so that I can finish a half-marathon in 2 hours or less next spring. So all of my workouts are geared to that. I have BodyMax, 4 days of running, and one day of incline walking on my rotation right now, but I'm working up to having one of the running days be an incline run so I can do Interval Max one day a week also. Leaner Legs goes in and out of my rotation as well and sure seems to help with my running endurance.

I can't wait for winter!

Here in the humid buggy HOT and any-breeze-is-front-page-news NC Piedmont, I run 6 months of the year and substitute with IMax and MIC the other 6 months. I cannot/will not exercise in the morning, so that really means May-September are just too warm for me to run.

So, I am really feeling like soon, it will be cool enough, and I can go back to my nice 5 mile hilly loop in Duke Forest, maybe find a couple of new places. My daughter might run with me some, even though she is so much faster, she usually ends up waiting for me in the car :(

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-02 AT 03:40PM (Est)[/font][p]I'm anxiously awaiting Fall and the cooler weather, which will allow me to run outside, in comfort. The Tennessee heat and humidity has me couped up indoors and I'm getting restless. Bring on Fall (by January I'll be whining about the cold weather)!

Other than outdoor runs, I'm looking forward to increasing the intensity of my strength workouts, and Cathe's newest batch of workouts.

Hey Mogambo I live in NC too! Closer to the Coast though. It has been to hot to try to powerwalk outdoors. I can't seem to get it together to try to workout in the a.m. either. \

My goal this year is to try not to get sick like I did last year. I ended up not being able to do cardio for the majority of the winter. The only strength I could do was Margaret Richard/Kathy Smith. That was better than nothing.

I am so looking forward to the new DVD's I hope to get better strengh gains and lose a little bodyfat. I am going to try to incorporate at least one interval spinning/runervals tape a week and the other 2 days a moderate intensity cardio.
I like to work my body on the 2-day split so I will try to get in that and one total body weight work. After @ 4 weeks,change things around and do the cardio only 2 days and the strenth 3/4 days.

I am going to try to clean up my eating by not eating alot of suger. Other than that I think I do pretty good.

Kim

Yes, I do get it, however, since I haven't run in a while I stopped reading it. But you are right, they are very motivating!!!

Good luck on your fitness goals!!

Hi all,

I thought I would add to this thread I'm not a runner so I won't be running at all my plans for the winter months are:

Continuing with cardio 4-5 days a week high intensity (stops me getting bored that why I love Cathe) and to increase my weights from what Cathe says "it does nice things for you" I'm going to put this into practise.

My goal is lifting heavy dumbells of 10lbs max and use 8lbs and 6lbs, on my barbell around 20lbs back and legs 10lbs for chest, triceps lighter for shoulder (as this is my very weak area and will need lots of work to strenghten). I also want to add to my rotation 3 weeks of Slow and Heavy. I also want to get ready for the new Intensity workouts.

I want to be in good shape for next year and to have leaned out so that I can add pilates 2 per week.

Here in the UK at the end of Oct we gain an hour so that will really help me with my workouts and I intend to get more active generally.

Babs :-jumpy

Hi Charli!! I too am awfully glad to see this summer go. It was so hot here in NY every day I was amazed that I did keep up with the TTA rotation for 7 wks. I'm now on S&H for my 3rd and final week then I'll be on to an endurance rotation. Don't really see any more changes in my body since doing TTA but I do like my arms now; just wish they could be even more cut. Its hard for advanced people to see further results. My husband says I should be more cut because of the way I work out. He was looking at this fitness pro on the Health channel and made the statement that he thought I should look far more buffed than I do given the fact as to how hard I work out. I was annoyed over his comment. Don't know if I could cut my BF any more than it is but I'm going to try this clean eating every single day instead of having 1-2 cheat days. Maybe that'll do it. I'm going to try a rotation for cutting BF. It goes like this:

M: PH
T: Cardio Kicks
W: Rhythmic Step
T: PH or MIS
F: OFF
S: Yoga
S: MIC (hi/lo portion only) + pilates

I'll see how I look after 3 weeks of doing this. Have a great week! Kathy

Hi everyone!

This is the first time I am working with Cathe (CTX DVD) and am really enjoying my workouts now. Got Body Max and MIC through a trade, so will do those after my CTX rotation. I am planning to incorporate more weight training into my workouts and am planning to buy a troy lite barbell set and also an 8 lb. dumbbell (I currently use a 3 and 5 lb.). I can't wait for Cathe's new videos coming out by Xmas. Having all these in mind, I can't help but get motivated.

Yes, I also take 1 tablespoon flax seed every morning with my tea.

Have a great time working out everyone!

Nette

Linda :)

Do you put the flax seed oil in your tea?? How does that taste? I have been using Flax Seed oil along with Lemon Juice on my salads and I am actually enjoying it!! I also add Flax Seed oil in a fruit/whey protein smoothie--Yummy!!
Sounds like a good idea--if it tastes ok in the tea!!

Linda :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.