fitness goals for 2014

Chris801

Cathlete
So what's everyone's fitness/wellness goals for the up coming year?

mine will be to PR some runs I do every year
most especially the Winter Training Series I do every year
a 5k, 10k, 10miler, 1/2 marathon & 30k
they are cold, icy and all up killer hills!

what's yours?

Christie

Hi there,

Great question...My goals are to cut back on wine to Saturdays only. I tend to over do it. These last couple of months I was having it fri sat and sun. No more it's starting to affect my weight.
Be more committed to my health and fitness regimen. Along with the wine I was having a bunch of crappy food! I'll be turning 40 this year and I'm pretty excited about it.

Great thread! My goals are:

-win my company fitness challenge
-stop drinking alcohol, at least until June
-there's a big hill in our foothills here I want to be able to run up
-there's another bigger hill in the foothills I want to be able to bike up without stopping

Focus more on weight training cuz I'm a true cardio junkie. I need more balance.

Eat less chocolate, although it is dark chocolate so that's my justification ;)

Well I just received Burn the fat, Feed the Muscle, so read the book and hopefully apply the principles.

Cut back on sweets (I love to bake) and drinking alcohol.

Complete some form of an STS rotation.

More spinning and yoga.

Lisa

Do the Rock Bottom Rotation, the version including the newest Cathe DVDs. A big thanks to a Cathlete who designed & posted this rotation. Will start the 2nd week in January, when I finish my current rotation.

Increase my flexibility and strength in my hip & quad area. At least 3 extra add-ons workouts during the week.

Maintain fitness during my busy work time in March & April and than up my fitness level starting in May. Don't sink down to junk snacks in March & April either. My freezer is nearly full of homemade healthy food to help with this. Need to plan & write down definite goals for these times.

In June run up to Heart Lake, July to James Peak, August ?. All spring/summer/fall mtn bike ride at least a couple times a week.

Last edited:
I've got to "whittle the middle" and get rid of the Christmas carb evidence. I'm going to do more metabolic workouts with weight lifting add-ons to burn the calories and get my metabolism going. Wish me luck!

Consistency - I have a specific goal(s) for each but these are the main categories...

running
crosstraining
nutrition
recovery

You will never do back!

Great thread! My goals are:

-stop drinking alcohol, at least until June

Once you are without alcohol for a prolonged period of time, you will not go back to drinking. You feel and sleep better without alcohol, your mental capacity increases and your overall well being and mental attitude is more positive. I stopped drinking when I turned 40 five years ago and have not looked back.

For the new year

I basically want to continue what I am doing. I lost ten pounds this year and would like to take off another ten pounds next year. That would put me in the upper 146 lbs range (which is perfectly healthy for 5 ft 10"). I lost the weight with the FastDiet concept.

I will finish my holistic fitness certification. I may start a holistic fitness program at work to help people relieve their stresses and feel better about themselves.

I want to get out more. I feel I need to get out to do my hobbies with others. I like to sew and knit and I usually do it at home, by myself. This year I want to do it with others. This will increase my mental health and contentment which is part of overall fitness.

For the beginning of the year I am doing the Insanity/Pump rotation. After that I will continue mixing programs just because if I would do every program I own as designed, I would not have to repeat any for four years.

My main goal is to break my soda addiction. Diet or regular, I love them both and drink way too much. I tried to stop for 2 weeks earlier this year, and like a smoker, I would find anything I could find to eat replacing my soda. If I could be consistent at one a day I would be happy, but I think I must give it up completely.

"If It Doesn't Challenge You, It won't Change You

Cathe is always saying, "do something different", "make small changes to your routine", & "challenge your muscles in new ways to keep them guessing". In 2014 I want to maintain my incredible fitness level (which Cathe of course helped & inspired me to achieve), but I also want to challenge myself with new and interesting workouts.

I have recently been supplementing my Cathe workouts with Hoopnotica workouts. Learning the new moves challenges my brain as well. Hooping is not just about wiggling a hula hoop around your waist. It is quite demanding of the core, back, and upper body all while kicking in the cardio/endurance & fun factors too.

Also, I just learned about UGI Ball workouts here on the forums which looks like fun (that's where I got the quote for the title of this reply). I can picture myself doing many Cathe workouts with a UGI Ball as a change up to traditional weights or medicine balls. And I love the idea of the Pound workouts, where you rythmically beat weighted drumsticks while you exercise. Talk about patting your head while rubbing your belly :eek:

And lastly, I want to try surf boarding. I heard from my sister after she took a lesson in Cape Cod over the summer, that surfing taxes the core, chest, & arms just to push yourself up to a standing position on the thing. The Rip Surfer X is a total-body surf trainer, designed to simulate the physical demands of surfing without the ocean and reportedly torches body fat while getting the core ripped with surf-inspired workouts.

Some of these fitness endeavors may turn out to be gimmicky. I figure at worst I'll have a light workout and at best I may find something new and stimulating that keeps me motivated. I will always have my Cathe workouts as my base to fall back on. She has so much variety I can never get bored!

Last edited:

My main goal is to get well and to have more energy.

1. Lose weight- I gained weight with several months of antibiotics early this year, and it just stinks. I hate it. It slows me down. Basically, I'm journalling my food on Spark.

2. Eat super clean. Get in the habit of having food with me all the time that I can eat and set my personal boundaries with what I eat, in other words don't eat it just because the crowd is eating it. So the goal is eat home cooked food 6 out of 7 days per week.

The real reason this is so very important is because of my eczema. Turns out that all my food sensitivities play out on my skin now. Ouchie!! Not to mention super ugly:(

3. Really stick to my eczema hygiene routine. Thats short, cool showers, followed by lotion and aquafore in the AM and 'itch-eaze' + lotion at night and vit. e on the eye lids.

4. Always remember to take my eczema supplements: olive leaf extract, magnesium, and evening primrose oil. I also take 1 tbsp olive oil with a little lemon juice & water first thing, it seems to be helping with my skin.

5. Cardio + yoga or stretch max 5x/week before breakfast. I am aiming for at least 45 min. of activity but no more than 90 min. total. I used to be able to workout after breakfast, but my food seems to come up on me now :(

Soxy - you'll never know until you try them. I have benefited from programs that are outside the traditional 'cardio & weights' box, if I hadn't I don't think I would be running right now, sometimes it just takes something different.

ITA that core strength, is key. While others may get there with heavy weights or traditional core exercises, I benefited by doing a number of different things, that gave better balance, better focus, and essentially as a result, better core strength. (maybe better isn't the right word, maybe the kind of core strength I specifically needed?)

I don't laugh at that stuff anymore. sometimes you know what stuff will work, and what won't. Interesting things you've listed, let us know how it all turns out. Good Luck.

My main goal for 2014 is to RELAX and realize I can't control 100% of the things that happen 100% of the time. I feel like when I'm in this mindset, I'm happier, more focused, and my workouts/eating are more consistent. Maybe I'll keep a fitness diary or something? My superficial goal is to be confident wearing a bikini on the beach this summer cuz last summer was a nightmare :eek:

2014 Fitness Goals

Loving this thread!

For 2014, I would like to continue doing more than 99 Cathe Workouts per year! In the past years, except for 2013, when I really took my health and fitness to the next level by pushing the envelope, I worked out over 230 times. Not only did I see physical changes, but I felt energetic, took on volunteer work that I thought I could never do, ate healthier, accomplished more overall and felt really good about myself!

To be more specific on my goal, I am going to sculpt my glutes. So I'm embarking on a re sculpt my booty for this year! I've done the Rock Bottom Rotation and I'm working on the newest rotation Cathe posted but it's December and things have gotten a bit hectic, so it looks like I will be extending this rotation into January and beyond.

Well everyone, get ready to set your goals on fire come January 1st! As Cathe would say, "Are you ready?" "Good Luck" Let's do it!

Monika

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.