Fitness Freak

I use ON Whey protein powder. I use the 100% Natural, it has no sugars or sugar substitute in it. As long as you add fruit to it, it's fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutri...=sr_1_1/102-8471735-9238566?ie=UTF8&s=grocery

I always get chocolate and you can get free shipping from this site. Make sure when it comes to the shipping part of the checkout that you pick "free shipping" or they will charge you for it.

And yes, I think it is absolutely necessary to have a protein drink before and right after your workout. It quickly absorbs into your body and promotes muscle growth. Real food is always good for you, but for workouts, protein shakes are it hands down.

Debbie,

Just popping in to tell you....Cathe's crew should put you on their payroll girl!:7 :7 You are so awesome to help others like you do.;)

do you recommend protein after cardio workouts as well or just wt training sessions? I didnt know if it was as important about consuming protein if it was cardio only workouts.

Tneah - You are a sweetheart!

Laura - Yes, it's just as important to have a protein drink after cardio as well. My cardio days differ, I don't eat before I do cardio, I do it fasted. When I do weights I drink a protein drink before and after.

I'm usually not hungry after lifting. Its hard for me to make myself eat anything. but I know that protein right after is important. thanks!Oh one question, my arms are coming along,shldrs are slow to respond but are coming around and tris when your arm is straight down and you tighten up looks great but when you put your arm out like your gonna clothes line somebody the part from your armpit down to the elbow still giggles when I am in this position. How the heck do you target that part of the tris. I think its the long head. I do kickbacks,overhead exts,skull crushers,tricep presses, tricep dips etc... nothing is making a difference in that particular area of the tris. any advice? thanks!

Well, do your best to get that drink in. Protein drinks aren't that filling.

Have you tried doing Bench Dips or Close Grip Bench Press? These exercises build nice muscle in the tri's which will fill out that jiggly area. Try them.

bench dips are they the same as chair dips? if so then yes alot of them. No I yhavent done close grip bench press. I pretty much have done all other tricep ex's though and that area as your arm is straight out still waves bye bye when I do. thanks for the tips!!

Chair dips are the same, as long as your butt and ankles are parellel. Put a barbell in your lap with some weights on it too, that will really build up that muscle.

Try doing close grip bench presses too. If you aren't sure what that is, Cathe does it in Gym Style Chest and Tri's and it's the exercise right at the end of the chest work.

Good morning Debbie!

You had mention that you had a recepie for a protein pancake? When you work legs do you also incorporate butt and hips as part of your leg day or do you work does on different days? Have a great weekend! It's going to be a hot one for us here in Phoenix!

Lourdes

thanks debbie! I will try them. My legs are great to respond on developing muscle and my forearms but for some reason my shldrs and that one area of my tris is tough for me but like I said they are finally starting to show some ,a little definition at the medial delt. the other parts of my tris pop so no problems there. I really want to get my shldrs defined big time, dont know why its taking so long but I lift heavy when I do them. in time I guess! thanks again!

Debbie,

I wanted to ask you about calf exercises. When doing calf exercise do I use the same concept heavy weights 8-12 reps or could I do higher reps to give my calfs a good burn? Thanks Debbie. Have a great weekend!

Lourdes

Hi Debbie, I can use your advice about your Leg Blast Rotation.

I'm needing to get my legs toned.
I'm pear shaped, a shorty 5'2", thick calves and lately my legs are not looking as toned as they used too. Me thinks as I near 41 my body is just needing to work harder than I usually do.

For the past month I have been doing better watching my diet, eating as clean as possible.
I use itreads and CC about 4 times a week and have been doing PLB/PUB at least 2x week for the past month.

Here is an example week I have done this past month:

M: PLB + ABS

T: PUB + CC # 3

W: Itread 3 40m

H: PLB + ABS w/ CC #5

F: PUB + CC # 1

S: CCPP

I'm thinking your Leg Blast Rotation you posted this past winter is what I need to get my legs to look better, needing to get it printed up.

I like to workout Monday - Saturday and keep Sundays as a rest day.

**** Can I change some of the cardios to a TM Run instead and use days 7 as Days 1 then follow the rotation as listed?

Anyways thanks so much for sharing your rotations to this group, its very much appreciated.

Lulu{/b] - I'm sorry, I didn't see your question on the leg day. On leg day when you do squats you are also working your hips and glutes. If you are going down to parellel, you will feel it in those areas. I stick with as many compound movements as I can for legs. Every now and then I'll throw in one of Cathe's floor work to get that extra burn but I haven't done that in some time.

Banana Protein Pancake

4 egg whites
1/4 c. raw oats
1/2 jar banana baby food
1 cap vanilla extract
1 cap banana extract
dash allspice
dash cinnamon
3 tbsp. soy protein isolate powder (vanilla or no flavor)

I blend everything together except for the oats in my Magic Bullet. Once blended I pour it over the oats and let it soak a few. I make two pretty large pancakes in a heated sprayed skillet. I don't have the calories/ratios here at work. If you need that I'll come back here tomorrow and tell you what it is.

Also Lulu, when working calves it's good to mix it up. Go heavy and do lower reps one time, go light and higher reps another. I always always use either GS Legs calf raises or B&G calf raises when I want to get a good burn. I did GS calf raises yesterday and I cannot believe how sore my calves are today.

Laura - My shoulders were a tough area for me as well. Just keep working at it. They will eventually pop out!

Vilma - Sure you can. Change any of the cardios in my rotation to a Cardio Coach workout or iTread. It's good to mix it up. I just try to keep my rotations with Cathe's workouts because not everyone has CC or iTread workouts.

Your rotation looks good, have you seen any results with it?

Debbie,

Jumping in with a couple questions about your pancake recipe. Can I use whey protein powder instead of the soy? What is your Magic Bullet?

Thanks!

IndyMom
:)

>
>Vilma - Sure you can. Change any of the cardios in my
>rotation to a Cardio Coach workout or iTread. It's good to
>mix it up. I just try to keep my rotations with Cathe's
>workouts because not everyone has CC or iTread workouts.
>
>Your rotation looks good, have you seen any results with it?

Hi Debbie - as far as results I have seen a growth of strength. I am able to match Cathe on her weights in both PLB & PUB all except the bicep section that one I do 10/12/15 and I'm trembling with the heaviest.
My endurance is up very well but my legs still don't look as tight and toned as I want and have actually seen the scale go up a bit which I'm not thrilled about. Reason why I want to change up my routine up a bit for the next month, plus just doing the pyramids for the past month has gotten a bit monotonous.

Thanks for replying back to my question :)

Indymom - I used whey a couple times. I think soy protein cooks up better then whey. Other then that, use what you have.

Vilma - Yea, just try changing it up a bit. You may be plateauing right now.

I just want to chime in real quick. I've been reading through the post here and I descided to try the protein shake before and after a weight workout today. I was alot stronger than normal today. It might have been time for me to go up in weights but I also want to give credit to the protein shake advice. Thanks Debbie this will be part of my daily routine now. Also I started your Building Muscle and Staying Lean rotation today so I'm really cleaning up the diet and want to get the best results I can from this. Thanks for all your great advice.

Farrah

Debbie,
I just gotta say you are really nice to be helping everyone with their questions on here the way you do! Thanks alot, its so helpful!! I do have a question.. I have read alot on this thread about protein.. what about carbs? When should these be eaten in relation to working out? I'm 5'7 and weigh about 160 lbs. and am trying to lose about 10 lbs. or just lose my layer of fat (I have a decent amount of muscle underneath). Any idea how many carbs should I be eating a day? Thanks again!!

Lauren

No problem Debbie! Thanks Debbie, I will give that recepie a try. If you don't mind me asking how old are you? Is there any posibility in the near future that we will see a full body shot of yourself? I would love to see what your upper body looks like. Thanks Debbie!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.