Fit Moms are the Best Moms--Check in 4/25

I used 3 cups broccoli instead of 5, used Mexican cheese blend, used 4 cloves garlic, added cayenne pepper, extra Dijon mustard, and topped with thinly sliced tomato. This would be a nice, light dinner too. Baked mine longer than 40 minutes, because it seemed "wet." Omitted the toast.

Crustless Broccoli and Cheese Quiche
from Cooking Light

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 quiche wedge and 1 toast slice)

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup vertically sliced onion
1 garlic clove, minced
5 cups broccoli florets
Cooking spray
1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon grated fresh Parmesan cheese
6 (1-ounce) slices whole wheat bread, toasted

Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 1 1/2 minutes. Add broccoli; sauté 1 minute (I sauteed for about 10 minutes). Spread broccoli mixture into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Combine milk and next 8 ingredients (milk through eggs) in a large bowl. Pour milk mixture over broccoli mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until top is golden and a knife inserted in center comes out clean; let stand 5 minutes. Serve with toast.

CALORIES 216 (29% from fat); FAT 6.9g (sat 2.3g,mono 2.9g,poly 0.9g); IRON 2.1mg; CHOLESTEROL 81mg; CALCIUM 354mg; CARBOHYDRATE 22.7g; SODIUM 577mg; PROTEIN 17.9g; FIBER 4.1g

Cooking Light, JULY 2003

Smoked salmon and goat cheese -- need I say more? Yum!

Smoked-Salmon, Goat-Cheese, and Fresh-Dill Frittata
from Cooking Light magazine

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

Cooking spray
2 1/2 cups shredded peeled baking potato or refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 large egg whites
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
3 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill

Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add potato; sauté 5 minutes or until golden brown, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Combine the egg whites, eggs, goat cheese, and smoked salmon in a medium bowl, and stir well with a whisk. Spread the egg mixture evenly over the potato in skillet, and cook 2 minutes or until edges are set and bottom is lightly browned. Sprinkle the top with dill.
Bake at 350° for 5 minutes. Broil 3 minutes or until center is set. Carefully loosen frittata from skillet with a spatula; gently slide frittata onto a platter. Cut into 4 wedges.

CALORIES 202 (30% from fat); FAT 6.8g (sat 3.2g,mono 2.1g,poly 0.7g); IRON 1.5mg; CHOLESTEROL 128mg; CALCIUM 100mg; CARBOHYDRATE 18.5g; SODIUM 589mg; PROTEIN 16.2g; FIBER 1.6g

Cooking Light, MAY 1998

So much action! The gals are back!!!!
Mel- IMAX yes? Two or three or extreme? Sometimes with depression, just being able to let it ou and say something and allow yourself some cyber hugs is helpful. I am looking forwArd to gettin g you theaudio books? Anyone else? My treat!
Jen- I am getting. Sick a lot from overtraining. A night of sleep and carbs helps me. Get better. Btw , John is barfing too. How are they sick with the same crud?
Susan- I thought of you today in sf. There actually was a restaurant that only served soup!
Bbl John freaking!

This was AWESOME! The house smelled heavenly while it baked. DH thought it tasted like a cinnamon roll, but not as heavy. I made a few modifications to lighten it -- used 5 TBSP butter, used skim milk (but will probably use low-fat evaporated milk or fat free half and half next time), omitted the nuts, used 1/3 cup brown sugar, used 4 eggs and 8 egg whites.

I didn't think all the bread would fit in the 9x13 pan, but once dipped in the egg mixture, the bread squished together quite nicely.

I would say this serves 8, not 6. YUM!

BAKED FRENCH TOAST WITH PECANS

This dish is assembled the day ahead so the buttery sauce can soak into the bread
6 servings

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

8 large eggs
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (used 2 tsp)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1-pound unsliced challah or other egg bread, cut 1 1/4 in thick slices

Melt butter with brown sugar and maple syrupn until smooth. Transfer to a 13X9 glass baking dish . Sprinle chopped pecans on top.

Whisk eggs, half and half, cinnamon and vanilla in a large bowl to blend. Dip bread into egg mixture and arrange in single layer in the pan. Pour remaining egg mixture over the bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350. Bake French toast uncovered until golden brown and puffed and knife insertedinto the center comes out clean, about 40 min. Cut into 6 pieces, Serve pecan side up with additional warm maple syrup.

Bon Appetit, March 2005, page 36.

This salad was amazing. I never would have tried it, so I'm glad someone brought it. It was a wonderful mix of flavors, and very refreshing. It sounds strange, but it really rocks!

STRAWBERRY-KIWI SALAD WITH BASIL

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)

1/4 cup half-and-half
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 peeled kiwifruit, each cut into 6 wedges
2 cups quartered strawberries (about 1 pint)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil

Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl. Add kiwifruit and strawberries; toss well. Cover and chill for 1 hour. Stir in basil just before serving.

CALORIES 90 (23% from fat); FAT 2.3g (sat 1.1g,mono 0.6g,poly 0.4g); IRON 0.7mg; CHOLESTEROL 6mg; CALCIUM 46mg; CARBOHYDRATE 17.8g; SODIUM 157mg; PROTEIN 1.6g; FIBER 3.8g

Cooking Light, APRIL 2001

Jen-I'm with the combo cold/teeth thing...so much of it sounds like teeth. Caden has a permanent cold..sometimes I wonder what he'd look like without a snotty nose! Gotta love day care

Christine-glad you had such a great day..your pics on facebook were great. Jimmy looks like he enjoyed it a lot. Let me know how that whole monitor thing goes...I'd love to try it ;) Hope John continues your great day with a great night of sleep..wait, not tonight if DH has to listen for him. I always secretly wished Caden would have bad nights when it was DH's turn to get up with him. He never did though!

Priscilla-woo hoo on the weight loss. Do you do Cathe full body workouts? what are you doing for cardio?

Melanie-such wonderful news hearing about your day! I go on vacation mid-June. My family goes to Lake Okoboji in NW Iowa every June. I have 4 siblings, and all but one will be there for at least a couple days. I love it..but this will be my first trip with a child (and two at that!).

Susan-I just made your Broccoli Chowder for the second time. I love it! I only made a couple modifications based on ingredients I have on hand, but it's one of my favorites. It's hard for me to believe that there isn't a bunch of cream or butter in it. Delicious!

I enjoyed my chat with the rheumatologist. We talked about everything from green tea and tumeric to meditation and Dr. Weil (apparently she knows him..kinda cool). I don't question the care I get from my normal dr as it relates to his knowledge of the disease, as I've been told he's one of the best for RA in the world, but we're just not on the same page when it comes to options outside of medication. I'm going to focus more on adding things like fish oil, tumeric, green tea, and more berries. I also need to work on the mental part of healing, but it's so much harder to do in the craziness of life. She talked a lot about how physicists are actually finding testable, measurable proof of how our inner "energy" and focus (can't remember what word she used) can actually change the physical (surroundings, body, etc). She gave me a website to learn more about it. I'm going to see if I can get on a waiting list to be one of her patients. Maybe some day I'll be off meds. maybe. On the bright side, my tests still aren't showing I have RA..it's still just on symptoms.

Time for bed....and hoping Reese agrees. She's been chatting off and on in her crib for the past hour. I wish she'd just make up her mind one way or the other! :)

I also need to work on the mental part of healing, but it's so much harder to do in the craziness of life. She talked a lot about how physicists are actually finding testable, measurable proof of how our inner "energy" and focus (can't remember what word she used) can actually change the physical (surroundings, body, etc). She gave me a website to learn more about it. I'm going to see if I can get on a waiting list to be one of her patients. Maybe some day I'll be off meds. maybe. On the bright side, my tests still aren't showing I have RA..it's still just on symptoms.

I definitely think there's more to healing than medicine. Not a physicist, just opinionated LOL I volunteer with a nonprofit that believes this too. We place original, donated artwork in hospitals and medical centers for patient rooms, to facilitate the healing process. If you find the website she mentioned, would you mind sharing it?

I think it's great that you're taking steps to find other things to do for yourself. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut. And definitely great news that your tests are showing RA symptoms only -- is there a chance you'll never have full-blown RA?

Morning!
K was up bright and ealry 5..and I just got her back down..so no workout early since we have inspection and shots this morning. I will do intervals if she naps this afternooon.

Allison-thanks so much for the recipes! I have printed and cant wait to try them. How is Drew sleeping?

Lisa-I also modify the soup. I don't put in the mustard powder..actually I don't use any spices. I have also started leaving out the sour cream and you cant tell..so that saves al ittel on the calories. I also pureee the whole pot..not just a portion like it states in the recipe. I think its awesome that you are exploring healing methods. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.

Christine-that is mine kind of restaurant! When is IMAX on tap? Im in too! I love all 3!

Jen-Haley got teeth really early..I think by 6 months she had 2...she has a very mature mouth. By 8 she was done losing teeth. kara hasnt got even a hint of one yet. You'll probablby start to see one soon with all his signs.

Melanie-hope you had a restful night!

Ok..done with protein pancake. Off to get ready. I will be back after inspection is done and I can come home!

Wow! Chatty ladies! DH and I have sore throats and are gargling salt water, using neti pot, drinking airborne and taking zinc. I am determined to kick this cold before our anniversary weekend. James must have one too cause we don't know where else we got it. He slept thru the night but I didn't. I would hear him in the monitor and then couldn't fall back asleep.

Did Meso 2 biceps and back last night. I love that I can curl more now! I feel so strong! I never would have attempted to curl heavier if it wasnt for STS. I am going to rest tonight to see if that helps with the cold.

Christine- I LOVE LOVE PUB! You shoulda told me, I coulda sent it to ya! I still plan on looking at the list you sent me on FB! Maybe I will do that in a few??? Your pics on FB are great! Every time I see Jimmy I think of how much he looks like you.

Thanks everyone for the comments about his teething. I am thinking it could be that too. Even the sitter said she doesnt think its an ear infection.

Susan- That is really sweet about DH tearing up. He sounds like such a great guy! My DH will clean up the house for me too but then I will go back re-clean. :p Pretty anal huh? Good luck on the inspection today! Hope you get a chance to do your TM intervals!

Lisa- I told DH that Caden is still teething and he said "What?! We have to go through this that long???" I said "Did you think they just got a mouth full of teeth overnight?" :p I don't know much about it but I also agree with "inner energy" and your health. I am doing that right now with fighting the cold. I keep thinking "healthy" thoughts. I believe that one day you won't have to take meds anymore. I don't think that modern medicine is the answer to all problems by any means.

Priscila- SOOO HAPPY that you are responding well to the full body w/o and cardio. You know your body so well!!! I knew you could do it!

Allison- Thanks for the recipes! That strawberry salad is just what I need right now cause its already hot in FL! Your comment about Drew getting frustrated because he moves backwards made me LOL! How old is he again? I can never remember...:confused:

Oh and quick update on little Aaron: He is still on a venilator and they are hoping to take him off soon. So far, they say it looks like the only long term effects will be that he may have to wear glasses and could potentially have asthma. My friend gets to hold him once a week and they are hoping to increase that soon. She said he has a temper and that he is also starting to interact with them when they visit. YAY! Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers! I believe it all helped!

Sorry if I missed anyone..I'll BBL!

Jen~ hope you can rid of the crud!

I'm cleaning today. My cleaning lady didn't show up last time, and I didn't call her back. It takes so much time to coordinate things. It's easier if I just know she's going to show up. I don't think it's going to work out. Plus she was so darn slow & we were here the entire time. Anywho, I'm off to clean one more bathroom & vaccuum downstairs.

Maddie is sleeping & Maggie is going to watch from her walker. I bought them Fisher Price Jumperoo thingie...it will be here Wednesday. I'm excited about it...it looks like so much fun!

Christine, I think I'm going to do Imax3

BBL

Hi ladies
Shots done and inspection done..whew! Kara of course screamed for the shots..but quickly recovered. She is 17.2 lbs..25.5 inches long. Shes doing great. Dr said hes nto concerend about eating for nutrition til 9 months to just keep doing what Im doing and letting K practice with foods. Im glad he said that becasue she is not interested much in eating at all. She does like her oatmeal now though.
I plan to workout during her nap. Im thankful the inspection only took 2 hours.
Shes all squirmy..I'll be back

Imax3 it is! I so love it. Yay! We had the jumperoo for jimmy and he loved it. JOhn cannot use it. So we gave it away. Wish I had know earlier could have sent it to you!
Allison- SO, here is the easy way to grow strawberries and tomatoes (which are hard for many reasons, but esp pesky animals eating them)... You can get the topsy turvy planters that hang outside and teh plants grow upside down, and it is a cinch. Makes me look incredible, but I am not! As for the other veggies, I pick the easy ones!
Thank you for hte recipes! I am so excited to try the french toast and the salmon goat cheese!
So, DH and I are workign things out. Sometimes beign a SAHM is tough, and now is that time. Oh well.
Off to take Jimmy to teh toy store. Just went for a long run pushing both kids in a downpour, brrrr! So I am gettinga coffee and we will walk around the toystore. I plan on working out while he has lunch...
Jen- Get better!!!!!
Susan- You are a machine, getting so much done!
Waves to all, be back later for better personals.

Well...... Hmmm......Feeling blah again.

I did 1/2 Bum Bum and 1/3 of Imax3 and took a 20 minute nap. :eek:

I'm drinking a Mt Dew and contemplating a bag of M&Ms to help elevate my mood. :eek:

melanie- i was listening to the metabolism book and she talks about moods and stuff. have you ever had your thyroid levels tested? just curious. i just got home from getting cds and want to get them out today for you. have some sugar! when my weight goes below 133 or so, i get fits of depression and anger. dh thinks i am about there, so i have to keep that in mind... wish i could be there to cheer you up! onew thing i find tough is when i reach my goal weight. i know we have all worked so hard and are about where we want to be, and it gets toiugh... the thrill of reaching the 140s then 130s, even 120s! now we watch the scale hover, and get bummed about numbers that used to elate us! fitness is a drug! have a mt dew, paint your toes, watch a funny show! put down the scrub brush, and relax... maybe a family nap!
my car is wearing a venti tea, i put it on the roof while strapping jimmy in and forgot it when i strapped john in, and poof! it rolled down the hood when i backed out. gah.
susan- 2 hour inspection is great and kara sounds so healthy, yay!
i just go 3d abs and might try it. anyone else have it? ok, john about to conk out. jimmy coloring, time for me to work out. then jimmy and i have kumon until naptime. he loves it and it has really improved his writing skills.
bbl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40 min intervals done! I swear I sweat more on the TM than anything...I havent tried insanity yet though!
Melanie-dito what Christine said. Take care of yourself..anything it takes to pep yourself up. I wish I was there with you! You can call me anything btw.
crap kk is up.bb

I haven't worked out in 5 days (ack!), so tortured myself with Shaun T -- Cardio Power + Resistance. Whew! I'm sweating like it's 95 degrees inside the house LOL

Drew was up at 7, and Mr. Fussy Pants for the morning. I threw in the towel at 11 and we went to Costco. I had put on my workout clothes to go, until Ella said, "Mommy, you don't look very pretty today." LOL -- brutal honesty from a 4 year old, right? So I took a quick shower and got dressed, for real ;)

Christine, I picked up Jillian's Master Your Metabolism book while there. Her Master Your Metabolism cookbook was released today, so I picked it up too. I'm going back to Costco on Friday, so I have time to look through them and decide if I can commit to it LOL

Susan, glad to hear K is doing so well! Drew is sleeping much better; most nights, he sleeps through now. Yay! I hope inspection went without a hitch. Has Paul found an apt yet? When will you and the girls move?

Melanie, sorry today is a blah day. Is it still really cold/gray/blah where you are? Is it possible you have seasonal mood disorder (whatever that's really called)? I know you're outside running a lot, so you get that awesome Vitamin D, but maybe the gray is taking its toll. Hope the Mt. Dew gave you some pep. I'm a big fan of chocolate ALL the time :)

Jen, we are big fans of the Jumperoo too! Ella lived in that thing, and Drew just loves to bounce around. Ella used to dance in it; it was hilarious to watch her sway and bop to the beat of the music. Hope your cold goes away quickly.

Melanie- I'm sorry you are feeling blah. I think Christine is on to something about weight/metabolism and mood. Maybe you could look into it??? I know you don't enjoy weights but it would be a good way to add some healthy weight. ???? Eat some carbs and chocolate...but don't overindulge or that could make you feel worse. Also, maybe set a new goal like working on your problem area more??? I know for me, it is my abs that I want back in shape because it is already bathing suit season. it sounds superficial but it helps.

Sorry Christine but I had to LOL about the tea. SOmething I would totally do! Glad you and DH are working things out. We seem to be on the upside of our relationship right now. But this is the way we work. And we are always a team when its important. Don't know what 3d abs is???

I'm feeling better and want to do an Insanity but I PROMISE I am going to rest tonight. I'm thinking I will make more granola and now I have sliced almonds to add. I might add dried cranberries to the other mix.

Susan- Poor Kara! Shots are so tough! Girl, you will sweat like you have never sweat before with Insanity. I find that when I do Insanity I wish my head were shaved because every tiny piece of hair that I cannot grab sticks to my face with all the sweat! I don't know how much hair I have ripped out during trying to wipe sweat and hair away.

Allison- I missed your post because I kept trying to re-post my original 15 times! Darn internet! Please let us know what you think of Jillian's cookbook because I may have to get it if you like it. I just run out of new ideas for things to make. I will be making baked pecan chicken and couscous sometime this week. I love Ella's honesty. :D My sitter has a six year old and after a long and haggard day at work I pick up James and she always says to me "You look so pretty today." My heart melts and I want to take her home. How are you at all the jumps in Cardio P and R? I'm getting better with my form but cannot do as many as they do.

So for those doing Insanity, am I the only one thinking there is something between Shaun and Tonya? He goes to her A LOT! LOL

Jen, can do on the cookbook. Do you have Ellie Krieger's Food You Crave? It's a GREAT cookbook -- healthy, easy to use, lots of veggies. What kind of cookbooks do you like? What do you have already?

Christine, LOL at the tea. At least the rain washed it off your car, right? ;)

So annoyed -- I finally worked out in my new Rykas. Loved the stability the show provides, but I need a half size bigger. Will order more, and return the others. Hope the next size works!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.