firm workouts

kariev

Cathlete
so i recently got tracie long's longevity series. I really like the total body light weight cardio combo of these workouts. I know she was a firm instructor so now i'm eyeing some firm workouts to add to my collection. I wanted some recommendations on which firm workouts i should buy. I want ones that combine cardio/weights. There are so many so hopefully you all can help me pick and choose:)

I recently just started using tough tape again. I wanted to add a total body workout and this one is good.

Sometimes complex choreography/poor cueing

kariev:
Like you I enjoy doing interval videos, mixing aerobics with light weight work during "aerobics" days. I have been experimenting with Firm videos, but I have found the quality uneven. The choreography is often too complicated -- even the warmups are poor -- and the cueing is often subpar.

Today, just before going onto this site, I did "Total Body Time-Crunch" and was disapointed. The warmup was poor and overcomplicated -- with no stretching -- and much of the aerobics sections were to fast and overcomplicated. What the firm does is go through a move eight times, then four times, and then quickly two times, and the last two-thirds of the segment has all moves only two times in succession. And some moves don't get the eight-time prepatory work. For some, this procedure is ok -- and if you like this -- Firm tapes are for you.

But the cueing is sub par. On the third "toning" interval, the instructor (Rebekah Sturkie) says, after some curls, "Ok, let's travel with the curls". Yet the "travelling" was to do back lunges with curls. (I am not making this up). And later, she does static back lunges, without stating verbally what they were. Only with the last set of static lunges (mixed in with upper body lifts) do the words "static lunges" come out of her mouth.

Admittedly, one can do the video over and over and pick things up. And I want to do this, to get my money's worth. But some of the worst cuing I've ever seen comes from the Firm. I have two or three good Firm DVDs. But I would advise reading some reviews on Collage Video, and watch out for reviews warning about the cueing.
-- David

There is a big difference between the older Firms with Tracie Long and the newer "pink" Firms.
You might like the earlier ones such as Tortoise and Hare and a variety of others with Tracie. It has been a long time since I have done these so I really don't remember the names but a little research say on amazon, should bring up some information. She also did the original Fitprimes with Anna Benson--Weights First comes to mind.

Thanks guys for the tips. I may hold off on the firm.

David: any recommendations for workouts that combine light weights and cardio (or anyone else)?

I ordered Michele Carmichael's series FlexFuel, MetFuel, JetFuel and SoulFuel from totalfitnessdvds.com. There are great clips on the site if you want to check them out. I haven't received them yet so I can't add anything else. If you like anything the code is 10OFF for a 10% discount and there is free shipping over $20.

Some enjoyable interval DVDs

Kariev and others:
As for doable, enjoyable interval videos with light weights, my two favorites at the moment are: Kelly-Coffey Meyer "The shape of things to come: complete cardio sculpting" and Jari Love's "extremely ripped 1000". The first video is excellent in every way. As for the latter DVD, the hard-sell promises on the cover are hokey, and the instructors in the program have unrealistic figures. However, the actual program content is surprisingly well done.

Another mixed DVD I like is Amy Bento's A Team Bootcamp. On Colage Video it has some negative reviews for poor cueing -- but since the aerobic portions are mostly boocamp drills and are uncomplicated, I find these criticisms overdone. However at my age I find the video demanding, so I have to modify the intensity. But I find this DVD enjoyable.

In my first post on this thread I dissed The Firm, but two good Firm DVDs are "Slim and Trim" and "TransFIRM your troble zones". The first comes with a 4-lb Power Ball and the second with a 5-lb kettlebell -- so the DVDs are more expensive (a commen problem with the Firm). I think neither has pure aeroblics movments, but as you see the weights are light, and having no pure aerobics segements allows both programs to be doable with no cueing difficulties.

Finally, friends at the "Beginner's Anyone?..." thread on another page suggested Cathe's two "high step" videos (HS Training and HS Challenge)":
http://shop.cathe.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=62

since the step portions are simple (for a basic stepper like me). The strength portions use heavy weights -- but I have ordered these two DVDs and plan on using light weights as a more aerobicy session. The "play clip" clips suggest that both are promising for interval exercizers:).
-- David

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do already have cathes circuit based workouts and i'm just looking for something different. I was really hoping that the firm was it but if most of the workouts are difficulty choreographed, i don't want to be bothered because i just get frustrated.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do already have cathes circuit based workouts and i'm just looking for something different. I was really hoping that the firm was it but if most of the workouts are difficulty choreographed, i don't want to be bothered because i just get frustrated.

As Phyllis mentioned, I would not let the newer "pink" FIRMS turn you off from trying the older workouts, especially if you enjoy circuit work.
Some good ones that come to mind our Complete Aerobics and Weightraining, Cardio Scuplt and Aerobic Body Shaping.
Also, I did the new Calorie Explosion this morning and was quite surprised at the intensity. Not Cathe like, but more so than the "pink" releases.

There is a huge difference between the newer, the older and the ones in the middle. I used to love the Firm in the days that Anna Benson was producing them and enjoyed them thru the BSS 1-4 but then it was over. I tried a few of the "pinks" from friends but they were a no go for me. Don't dis them all. There are some great workouts in there.

There is a huge difference between the newer, the older and the ones in the middle. I used to love the Firm in the days that Anna Benson was producing them and enjoyed them thru the BSS 1-4 but then it was over. I tried a few of the "pinks" from friends but they were a no go for me. Don't dis them all. There are some great workouts in there.

Phyllis~ITA. I think a lot of people got a very bad impression of the FIRM if the "pinks" were their first purchase.
If I had not started with BBS1 years ago, I doubt I would be able to do Cathe today.

This is right on! If you are going to try The Firm, get a pre-2000 one (some of them are quite advanced, and based on good science, AND I still use them). The ones made after 2000 are garbage as far as I'm concerned (fluffy, gimmicky, silly, easy).

Stebby

I just picked up and tried Calorie Explosion last week and I would not describe it has fluffy, gimicky, silly or easy. It was surprisingly challenging and I really liked it. You need only a pair of dumbbells.

I haven't been a fan of most of the 'pink' workouts, but this one I would recommend - but be warned it is quite a bit of high impact if you are worried about that.

I love the Firm; I've been on 6 firm trips to South Carolina (last one in 2003) and was a participant in their 2001 infomercial as background filler :p.

I love Tracie Long. She is such a sweetheart in person, but tough as nails. I love Maximum Body Sculpting and Tough Tape, two of my favorites.

The "pink" firms are less intense, IMHO. I have them and do them occasionally on days when I need a lighter workout for my DVD workout (I also swim and run at my Y so not every workout at home has to be intense). I think the older ones seem to be better, at least for me.

Barb

I know what you mean Barb. The older FIRMS are the best. The Pink Firms have their place but the older ones are great

The Firm is definitely not what it used to be.
IMO, the best Firm workouts were from the time when Tracie was involved. My favorite Firm 'generation' is from the Tortoise/Hare period through some of the workouts just before the Body Sculpting System 1. Another good pair of Firm workout is the "Cardio"/"Strength" combo.

I can't stand the original Firms (what used to be "volume 1-6"), and the more recent ones are for the most part less intense and less interesting to me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.