Feeling guilty!

stephl

Cathlete
Hi everyone - how are you doing in fitness land?

I am feeling so guilty! I caught a bug and had a low-grade fever earlier this week. I've been resting since Tuesday, and feel better today (no fever) and am feeling very guilty about not working out. I am flying to Seattle tomorrow w/ my 8yo DS and just really worried about catching another bug/relapsing on the long flight (nearly 10 hours.) I will be packing my running gear and hope to get in a few run/walks while I'm there, but even with that by the time I get back home and back into my routine it will be nearly 2 weeks. So help remind me that I am doing the right thing and not feel guilty!

On a positive note, I think I've lost a bit more off my 'jelly belly' - it looks much flatter!:D I even started my period today and didn't have that awful PMS bloating as much as in the past. Yeah!:)

Steph

You'll be fine, take it easy. I was away from my Cathe w/o's for a full month due to vacation, my illness, kids' illnesses, DS's surgery. I just started back this week and found I'd lost almost no endurance or strength. And I haven't even been eating very clean and had no weight gain. I expect to be back at full endurance and weights next week.

Take care.

Yes, you will be just fine. I am one of those rest day challenged individuals. For years I have been this way. However, for the past three weeks due to circumstances beyond my control I have not worked out - I have actually lost weight (I didn't want to lose) and still look cut and fit. A day or two or even a week off . . . walk in the park!:)

I agree with everyone else -- listen to your body. 2 weeks off won't set you back. Look at Cathe herself -- months of rest and rehab and she is back to fabulous.

As for not catching anything on the plane, I have tried "Airborne" -- it's a little fizzy tablet that dissolves in water that is supposed to protect you from catching bugs on planes (lots of vitamins, generally natural, I think). Apparently, it was invented by an elementary school teacher. You can buy it at pharmacies or even in the airport. It has worked for me in the past.

Good luck!

Take it easy if you jump back in to soon that could make you sick again. Enjoy your trip to Seattle, Cathe will be here when your ready. :)

Jenn

Hmmm, I'll try to find the 'Airborne' stuff in Boots before I board. Can't take any liquids on the plane, but if it's just tablets I'll be able to take it on. Thanks for the tip!

Guilt is bad for your health. So, if you want to be sure to get rid of that bug, stop feeling guilty. :7
-Nancy

Stephanie-

Yes, that Airborne stuff is only in tablet form that, as previously mentioned, you'll have to drop into a glass of water. I have found that if I use it at the very first onset of symptoms, I can sometimes avoid getting a cold. Other times, it hasn't been as effective. My experience is 50/50 with it, but I also think it's worth a try. Maybe some anti-bacterial wipes wouldn't be a bad idea, either, and just a reminder: make sure you keep your hands away from your eyes/nose/mouth. (Sorry, I'm a teacher, so I've become a bit germ-phobic over the years--a product of being wiped out by too many colds!)

As far as missing two weeks' worth of workouts, I agree with the others that you are not going to see a tremendous loss of fitness. It's important to take care of your body and know when you're too sick to workout. So, IMO, no need for the guilt trip, but as soon as you can, I'd ease back into it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.